SAU Community

Garrett Medium Frame Gtx Turbos

SimonR32

Not always, for instance these 2 cars almost don't drop any torque between 4000-7000rpm

Ya mean 4200 & 6500 :)

Anyway more the point is it does, and always will as well all know (hence just answering the question broadly).

Mine is a little laggier than planned at around 3900rpm... Possibly the exhaust etc is the cause... But for the daily driving it's actually turned out perfect the way it is... The TS setup kills my car in response from what I've seen so far

It all had to be assembled on the bench and lifted into place. The front gate can't be unbolted with the turbo in the car and there is one turbo bolt that is almost impossible to get to. Other than that there is plenty of room. :)

Not that hard, there were two flex joins to fit before the cat/merge but it was getting the wastegate outlet merge right that took the time. I also got the 3.5 inch exhaust pipe tucked right up giving good clearance from the road, well over legal height at the moment.

I was happy with how it turned out, and the noise level with only a Hooker was very reasonable considering the size. (I was so impressed I fitted a hooker 3.5 inch to my car today.)

what type of hooker muffler you use? how well do they flow and muffle?

3.5 inch stainless aerochamber. I was having issues finding decent large bore mufflers, Owen and I decided to give the Hooker a go and it seems to work well. It should never change in noise level either with the chamber design.

They obviously flow well but I would like to know where the limit is, unfortunately the 3.5 is the largest one they do. Noise wise they have a very deep note, a welcome change from the tinny 'sock shoved up your exhaust' Varex noise I had. They are a little droney on their own, I will let you know what mine sounds like on the road as i'm running a centre resonator also.

Any idea of the dB they are putting out Scott?

I'm not convinced of the Hookers - they are offset and not straight through in a performance term.

There are a few hefty weight mufflers straight through in 4" between the $450 -$600 mark ea... What do the Hooker cost for 3.5"?

I know with two of said mufflers above in 3.5", I was @ 92dB

Hooker do a maximum flow which is straight through type mufler, aero chamber is not straight through, would be quieter but restrict flow more, how much would be good to find out.

The Aerochamber's I have here are straight through (not offset) but they restrict the straight through part to 3 inch, there is a side pipe that flows the rest. (part of the reflection design.) They sell for around $200 in stainless or $105 in mild with stainless internals. No way the 3.5 inch is going to pass but the idle noise is acceptable, you may pass the roadside or boose bus police check. For a cheap muffler they do ok.

Still looking for a reasonably flowing 'legal' noise level muffler I can sell to customers... What brand were the ones you mentioned Ash?

post-63525-0-30814200-1341465929_thumb.jpg

post-63525-0-24418500-1341465958_thumb.jpg

Where can I go to check noise level accurately and I'll let you know how it goes, preferably in the dandenong area

Is it a standing test or a driveby test?

The Aerochamber's I have here are straight through (not offset) but they restrict the straight through part to 3 inch, there is a side pipe that flows the rest. (part of the reflection design.) They sell for around $200 in stainless or $105 in mild with stainless internals. No way the 3.5 inch is going to pass but the idle noise is acceptable, you may pass the roadside or boose bus police check. For a cheap muffler they do ok.

Still looking for a reasonably flowing 'legal' noise level muffler I can sell to customers... What brand were the ones you mentioned Ash?

Ah ok cool. There are other Hookers on the website that look offset. Must have been looking at those! Are you going single muffler or twin?

Racepace & Difilipo make the big straight through ones (my two were a Racepace 3.5" that did 92dB).

I've seen a Difilipo one myself as well, there is a LOT of weight in them as well however the quality of the actual welding looks like they are rushed but they are cheaper. Both are made locally.

I have a 5 inch round Xforce mid muffler and the Hooker on a single 3.5 inch system, It definitely isn't as quiet as Owens setup, perhaps the cat and the small housing act to quieten the exhaust on his?

I need to look at more noise reduction in mine, I may have to trial some of my own muffler designs.

I have a 5 inch round Xforce mid muffler and the Hooker on a single 3.5 inch system, It definitely isn't as quiet as Owens setup, perhaps the cat and the small housing act to quieten the exhaust on his?

I need to look at more noise reduction in mine, I may have to trial some of my own muffler designs.

scott,

i've got a sound db meter if you wanna test out nose reduction with best flow, then you can let us all know what's better

The issue is I still don't have a product to test, I can't find one suitable. I know mine isn't legal. I will take you up on that offer when I sort it though if you don't mind...

The best idea I could come up with is to run a secondary 2 inch system/muffler after the diff, with a spring loaded flap in the large pipe, to block it on cruise and idle. Or perhaps an electronic butterfly valve like below? I also have a helmholtz chamber here I designed that I want to try.

Anyway, I guess this conversation should be moved to its own thread, sorry mods.

post-63525-0-77032200-1341482339_thumb.jpg

So between a GTX3582, FP 3582 HTA, FP 3586 HTA, GT3788r, and the GTX3794R all with roughly 1.06r housings, chasing 500rwkw+ on a Rb25 what would be the 'best' turbo? running E85.

Having an argument with a mate lol. Ive got money on a the 3582hta or the 3788r with some serious boost. I think the 3794R is over kill, hes saying its the 'only' turbo that will do the job (from the selected choices).

Mate wants to upgrade from his cheap 'chinese T70' turbo off ebay, i suggested my GTX35r so I can go something bigger/better. He said nup, its shit and wont be any better than what hes got.

The issue is I still don't have a product to test, I can't find one suitable. I know mine isn't legal. I will take you up on that offer when I sort it though if you don't mind...

The best idea I could come up with is to run a secondary 2 inch system/muffler after the diff, with a spring loaded flap in the large pipe, to block it on cruise and idle. Or perhaps an electronic butterfly valve like below? I also have a helmholtz chamber here I designed that I want to try.

Anyway, I guess this conversation should be moved to its own thread, sorry mods.

thats what i am doing on my stagea as i coudn't get a decent muffler that stopped the resonance vibration in the back without killing power

http://www.spracingo...Activated_/3673,

i am going to just put a 3 inch Y piece right after the first 3 inch straight though muffler

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31

yea no worries, haven't used it for quite a few months so i wont miss it, just let me know when your after it

• 5 weeks later...

New tune today for the GTX3076, I have gone crazy with spring pressure running the maximum 26psi the 45mm turbosmart can take. It held boost well at 24-25 psi with no controller, and power came on smooth which should be good for grip.

I'm booked in for the Sandown trackday next Saturday so it was a conservative tune, not sure I need to crank it up at the moment anyway. ;)

post-63525-0-88539000-1344078374_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...