SAU Community

2011 F1 Thread

zebra

In the news today ... article

It mentions that a proposal is being put together for a track at Avalon. Does anyone know more? It's been talked about for some time, but I'm keen to know if it has legs this time.

It also talks about Ecclestone meeting with a guy in New York to talk about a race around Staten Island. Are they mad? They're already building a permanent track in Texas for the US GP. Last time they tried two US GPs it didn't work too well...

A track at avalon would suck a fair amount of wang, the setup they have now is beyond fantastic. Middle of the city, lots of entertainment just outside the track and its EASY to go home... dont underestimate how glorious that is.

Staten Island wont happen, i have my doubts about Austin turning into a popular event (admission wise).

12 hours until track time yo!! been 8 months since i heard these guys in the flesh, cant wait for the wet and wild action

Avalon would be terrible, as ctjet said, the current location is brilliant as far as what it offers outside the track. I can't see attendance increasing at avalon, more likely to decrease if anything.

As for the comparing of times between Lowndes and Button, keep in mind how many times Lowndes has lapped Bathurst compared to Button.. His the similar time is good, but don't get too excited about him being in the same league as a driver that's not much chop in F1..

Scored a ticket for tomorrow, so I'll head down after work and watch some practice...Saturday/Sunday will be OneHD for me this year though

These new wings are pretty cool watching them use them during practice today!

just starting to get some full laps in now too. should be interesting!

One HD are streaming their coverage on their website for those not at home or near a tv ;)

http://onehd.com.au/motorsport-live-streaming.htm

Hopefully they show practise from other races this season as well.

Would be nice if they do but i doubt it! netball is more important!

Looks like they have plenty of grip when putting the power down and Vettel seemed to be getting the wing open way earlier than anyone else that they showed in that session. HRT didnt even manage to get a car on the track and Virgin were way off the pace, a lot of work to do for these 2 teams before qualifying. Ricciardo was in front of Buemi until Beumi pipped him with a lap after the end of the session.

Good to hear the F1's today. I was right above the pitlane exit in the Shell Corp box bit for a while and in the Ferrari Pits for a bit as well.

Massa is SO small. I couldn't get over it...

Also managed to get a crack in the F1 Simulator that Massa was using yesterday here in Fed Square (apparently there was some big thing on).

The Ferrari dude running the sim said, through a thick italian accent, that the drivers spend almost 1 day/week in them... That's a lot of seat time and they are not particularly comfy lol.

Tell you what though, it's so realistic i was shocked, as close as i'll ever get to driving something like that.

I'll do a write up with pics and stuff when i get a chance over the w/e. Some rather interesting stuff i found out about it. F1 truly is something where money isn't an issue!

I still love the porka cup cars though, man they just sound sooooo nice.