SAU Community

2011 F1 Thread

zebra

Webber on Kovaleinen, Valencia 2010 was a good one.

You see... this is whay sh1ts me but at the sme time love about sportas where you have fans rooting for a certain team or driver.

Every driver has had brain dead moments in their career. Lets think of the most recent WDCs. Lewis pulled off a real bold move on th exit of the pits in Canada when he binned it into Kimi. What speed was tht 60-100km/h?

Or what about Vettel last year when at Spa, darted and tried to stop the car and did a tank slapper into the side of Button. Or Alonso who binned it on his woen accord at Monaco. (much like Webber did in Japan) Or Kimi for binning it under brakes into Sutil at Monaco. All the top drivers have had moments, the only thing with Webber is that his happened at +250km/h when Heiki was silly enough to try and make a race of it and had to brake soooo early its not a big surprise it caught the following car out.

Webber had a poor quali but a great race. I use the work great because it was. He struggled early but thankfully didnt bin it by being impatient, used the pace of the car and was consistant and fast on the better tyres to try and make progress. To say that he got the beter pit strategy is a half truth. Two stopping was technically quicker but nobody saw the moment passing on the pit wall and Vettel paid the price. That is a reflection on Vettels race. Has nothing to do with the great performance of Webber.

You see... this is whay sh1ts me but at the sme time love about sportas where you have fans rooting for a certain team or driver.

Every driver has had brain dead moments in their career. Lets think of the most recent WDCs. Lewis pulled off a real bold move on th exit of the pits in Canada when he binned it into Kimi. What speed was tht 60-100km/h?

Or what about Vettel last year when at Spa, darted and tried to stop the car and did a tank slapper into the side of Button. Or Alonso who binned it on his woen accord at Monaco. (much like Webber did in Japan) Or Kimi for binning it under brakes into Sutil at Monaco. All the top drivers have had moments, the only thing with Webber is that his happened at +250km/h when Heiki was silly enough to try and make a race of it and had to brake soooo early its not a big surprise it caught the following car out.

Webber had a poor quali but a great race. I use the work great because it was. He struggled early but thankfully didnt bin it by being impatient, used the pace of the car and was consistant and fast on the better tyres to try and make progress. To say that he got the beter pit strategy is a half truth. Two stopping was technically quicker but nobody saw the moment passing on the pit wall and Vettel paid the price. That is a reflection on Vettels race. Has nothing to do with the great performance of Webber.

Let's not forget Lewis' awesome China Pit lane maneuver :D

I actually almost cried with happiness that day.

There are a few hardcore fanboi's at that forum so no wonder hrd has a hater boner towards any positive comments.

Fanboys for just about every driver though, Webber cops his share of criticism there too.

He did not necessarily have the fastest car at all, he put in the fastest lap. See this is where someone can take a fact and put a negative or a positive spin on it. It looks like most here are saying you are putting a negative spin on the facts Harry.

what was I thinking? It wasn't the fastest car, it just put in the fastest lap by a measly 1.4seconds!!! And Webber had the 9 of the 10 fastest laps of the race! It (the Red Bull) also happened to be fastest in Prac 1, Prac 2, Prac 3 and Qualy, as well as the race. I think it was neccesarily the fastest car there. The stopwatch doesn't lie.

And with his full compliment of softs still green for the race he also had far and away the best/fastest tyres for the race of anyone on the grid.

Those comments are neither negative or positive, just factual.

As I mentioned over on the other forum, Webber had to do a lot of his passes on the obviously dirty side of the track. Good tyres or not, to do that consistently takes exceptionally good driving skills because grip is going to be rubbish at that time no matter how good the tyres are.

(almost) every pass has to be made on the dirty side of the track. there just isn't room for 2 cars on the racing line. this is the problem with one-eyed Webber enthusiasm. He's exceptional (compared to the others presumably) for doing what they all do. This is what shits me.

Edited by hrd-hr30

To say that he got the beter pit strategy is a half truth. Two stopping was technically quicker but nobody saw the moment passing on the pit wall and Vettel paid the price. That is a reflection on Vettels race. Has nothing to do with the great performance of Webber.

2 stopping was theoretically quicker on their computer sims assuming:

1)running in clean air, and

2)that tyre life would be 25% better in the final stint. It wasn't. So even for the guy running in clean air, 2 stopping was not the fastest way.

its not a coincidence the 2 guys up for the "drives of the day" 3 stopped.

Seems to me that the only one ignoring all Patriotic bias is Harry, telling it how it is/was. Fastest car, best tyres, anything less than an 'amazing' race would've been a failure.

what was I thinking? It wasn't the fastest car, it just put in the fastest lap by a measly 1.4seconds!!! And Webber had the 9 of the 10 fastest laps of the race! It (the Red Bull) also happened to be fastest in Prac 1, Prac 2, Prac 3 and Qualy, as well as the race. I think it was neccesarily the fastest car there. The stopwatch doesn't lie.

And with his full compliment of softs still green for the race he also had far and away the best/fastest tyres for the race of anyone on the grid.

Those comments are neither negative or positive, just factual.

Haha, so now you admit Webber was the fastest driver that day Harry? Bloody fanbois :) See facts can be spun as I've already mentioned eg the Red Bull was the fastest car of the day, or, Webber was the fastest driver that day. Same facts, different spin.

(almost) every pass has to be made on the dirty side of the track. there just isn't room for 2 cars on the racing line. this is the problem with one-eyed Webber enthusiasm. He's exceptional (compared to the others presumably) for doing what they all do. This is what shits me.

Some drivers pass better than others surely, just like some drivers are shit starters, which Webber is. Kobayashi is recognised as a good passer, going on his record Webber is too.

Haha, so now you admit Webber was the fastest driver that day Harry? Bloody fanbois :) See facts can be spun as I've already mentioned eg the Red Bull was the fastest car of the day, or, Webber was the fastest driver that day. Same facts, different spin.

deadset. This whole time I've been giving the reasons why Webber was the fastest during the race! Take the "Harry's saying Webber is shit" blinkers off ffs. The only thing you're spinning is what you're hearing.

I bet for example you're willing to put Perez and Barichello passing Webber down to other factors such as better rubber rather than them being more awesome drivers? If better rubber can get a Sauber and Williams to pass Webber in the Red Bull, imagine what green rubber on the best car in the field can do - oh wait, you don't have to imagine ;)

Some drivers pass better than others surely, just like some drivers are shit starters, which Webber is. Kobayashi is recognised as a good passer, going on his record Webber is too.

Meh, nothing's as subjective as who is the best overtaker. So I won't comment on that. But I will say that one of the big reason's Kobayashi is rated as a great (or at least exciting) overtaker is because he makes that car punch above its weight. I'd wager its a little harder to pass people with a Sauber than a Red Bull.

I'd wager its a little harder to pass people with a Sauber than a Red Bull.

lol webber and vettel have been trying their hardest to prove you wrong for the last 2 and a half years with some great displays of how not to race people for position

good on them for not being afraid to hack it up for us though