SAU Community

2011 F1 Thread

zebra

How cool would it be if when the car with DRS engaged gets level with the car its passing, the car being passed can also engage DRS?? Imagine the dicing under brakes then!

That's how it should be...The way it is now, last night we saw cars that were within 1sec of the leading car in the detection zone, pass them before the DRS zone and still be allowed to open the wing and pull away from the car that was leading them a corner or 2 ago, while the passed driver can't open his because he WAS in front in the detection zone...

there was plenty of that last year too without the need for this fake/artificial passing. and not just for faster cars on slower cars, but also from teammates with equal cars. All this stuff is just so unnecessary!

Its like a game of AFL or basketball (as Ben suggested) where you just expect to score everytime you get anywhere near the goal. I don't like it. Takes the skill out of "making" a pass. Its not supposed to be easy to pass. And just because you have the faster car should not mean you automatically get to pass the guy in front of you. You're supposed to have to work for it. They've probably worked hard with their drive and strategy to get there and now its impossible to keep that hard won advantage. Its not motorsport. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Its the skill and difficulty of overtaking that makes it exciting. The automatically getting alongside someone if you're close to them does very little for me. Even leaving aside the past 2 races where its been alot more than just getting them alongside - its left the lead car all but defenceless. That's not motorSPORT.

would it be as popular if instead of drag reduction for the following car, they cut power/revs to the leading car? Then maybe more people would see it the way I do.

Well said, plenty of overtaking last night, but I wouldn't really call the majority of it exciting. Most of the passes made with DRS looked like the car in front was on a cool down lap with the speed differential..

I think DRS would be better used all over the track, instead of a spectator area. It would add the the driver skill, as people would try to open the flap sooner than the next bloke. It's not new tech, they used it in the 60's

The whole point of DRS is that it can't be used just any old time. If it could, it'd just be a 'competitive disadvantage' when not working, just like that KERS gimmick.

It is more a case of tweaking the location of DRS activation rather than throwing the baby out.

not in my view. Its robbing us of the racecraft of passing another car. Look at the last session of the race where Webber caught and passed Alonso for 2nd place in the GP!!! That should have been a hard fought battle going on for several laps. Good cars/drivers can pass here even in the same machinery, let alone with a faster car(plenty of example of that from previous years). Without DRS Alonso would have had a fighting chance to defend his 2nd place in the Gran Prix with his racecraft. DRS robbed us of that spectacle of two drivers going at it, instead all we saw was a simple cakewalk for Webber. But the ADD generation who think constant passing is great for fans would be happy because its another check in the overtaking tally for the race.

I realise Alonso only got past Mark to second with the same use of DRS, and I'm just as dissapointed with that too - it would have been another battle to sort it out instead of just another boring automatic pass.

DRS is sucking the fight right out of Gran Prix racing.

Edited by hrd-hr30

yeah I miss V10s too. having been lucky enough to witness them in person and comparing that to the V8 races I've been to, it's just not the same. the current v8s are still great pieces of gear though. but not quite v10 awesomeness.

Look at the last session of the race where Webber caught and passed Alonso for 2nd place in the GP!!! That should have been a hard fought battle going on for several laps.

Meh, he would have run rings around him - DRS or not - because he is so awesome. Didn't you learn anything from the last race? Weber is the most skilled overtaker out there. period. Even without DRS he was carving up the opposition like they were standing still. That can only be put down to brilliant race craft and an abundance of talent.

yeah, I like how there is so little talk of Kobayashi's drive this weekend. Made 1 spot less than Mark in the previous race. Only in a Sauber - which is no Red Bull... and people weren't hanging onto their tyres too long this time around...

because of all the stuff haphazardly happening every 2 seconds in the race, people haven't noticed what actually happened overall. It was near impossible to follow for the commentators let alone the plebs at home with added commercial breaks and Greg Rust's awesomeness added to the mix. That alone would dazzle anyone's concerntration. One day his oversized head will topple off that tiny little body, I'm sure of it...

Its robbing us of the racecraft of passing another car.

On the weekend there is no question you are right.

I would prefer to see it used over a shorter distance to help to overcome the loss of downforce from driving behind another car not to simply give all the cards to the following driver. Loss of downforce on the following car has plagued the sport for a few years whereby a 2sec/lap slower car can sit on the racing line with impunity.

They just need enough time to get the nose beside the car in front. If there are multiple DRS zones then it means there is a chance of a multi lap cut and thrust as the car behind gets a chance to fight back within 20-30 sec time before. Yes it is artificial so it will always be controversial but I think there is room to play with application of DRS without making it into a Super Mario Kart game like we saw on the weekend.

hey guys unfortunatly i missed last nights telecast of the gp.... where can i find the full footage that they televised???

ill cry if i cant find it soon lol

But everyone jumping up and down saying DRS is artificial....In Australia I didnt even notice it. Was it Massa or Button who used it to sneak by a car...it was hardly a show changing technology.

In the sphincter of the universe they got it wrong. In Malaysia I think it was about right...will see what happens next race. But I am not against it yet...but admit that it played too big a part on the weekend. My man DC has it right, once upon a time you had a boost button that allowed you to use more fuel, risk engine wear but allowed you to get past the car ahead. DRS doesnt really cause any wear , fuel consumption etc but the end result is the same. What would increase the risk vs reward aspect would be to put a cap on the amount of times it can be used in a race. You can can get rid of KERS, and just have the tyres and DRS. Dont need all three....I was actually pretty happy with the racing last year, but did miss the lack of refuelling