SAU Community

2011 F1 Thread

zebra

Good, I didn't think I was the only one who got to lap 30 and thought "wtf is going on in this race". I don't mind the complexness of it, I just wish there was an easier way of understanding it.

Eg when Brundle and DC were saying alonso's gone "soft, soft, hard, hard" I was thinking he'd only had 3 stops but had missed anyone noticing, which was entirely possible lol

Good point Wolverine. I watch live timing on my laptop every GP , have so for the past 2-3 years. Makes the race far eaier to follow and far more interesting when you see who is doing what...i just wish they woudl tell you what tyres they were on!

can't agree with the tainted legacy. The legacy is still there unchanged. Got to look at this as a bit of a postscript to his career. No one else has ever really tried a comeback, except Lauda who was only ~30 when he first retired and ~32 when he came back? Its not really the same thing. The game's changed since then too!

Schumacher did OK this week. He wasn't anywhere near as terrible in the sphincter of the universe as people think either. The collision witht he Renault early was dodgey, but he was OK after that. The general feeling you got watching was that everyone was chopping him up, but the actual stats were he got passed 16 times and made 16 passes. Its just that there were so many passes going on as well as pit stops that we didn't get to see 1/4 of what was actually going on.

I want to see refuelling come back too. I think the full fuel load makes it alot tougher for the teams that aren't quite on the pace and maybe struggling with balance at the best of times, they then have to handle nearly 30% of the car's weight in fuel load changing over the course of the race. I think the likes of Mercedes would be alot faster in a race if they could refuel and run lighter.

Edited by hrd-hr30

so they start with a full tank and that gets them to finish? i didnt even know that haha..

yep, they cannot re-fuel during races any more so they start with a full load. it means they approx 8 seconds off their ultimate pace at the start of the race. another problem of that is if they underestimate a little they then have to go to fuel saving mode (turn down engine performance) and trundle around off the pace just to make sure they can finish.

Everthing they do to cut costs makes the racing worse. 1/2 the race is the drivers just cruising round protecting their engines. A single tyre manifacturer means everyone mirrors everyone else, the Bridstone vs Michellen batteles were great, as they has different strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah I said it at the start of last season, seeing them floundering around on full tanks is dissapointing. Their lap times would be easily eclipsed a few other open wheeler categories up until around half race distance I'd bet. I'd reckon even Brisby could give em a run if he had the old 32 on song and there was a promise of grid girl wrist job for a lap led.

I'd not considered the difficulty for the smaller teams (in realtion to limitless resourse teams) of getting the setup balanced between full and low tanks, good point.

yep they'll be banned for sure sooner or later. they are already knobbling them by reducing the amount of exhaust gas you can produce off the throttle (see the previous article on RBR posted a day or so back).

Refuelling needs to come back, I agree that is sucks watching F1 cars go around slow! It will bring a lot more strategy back into pit stops.

What is with these crap tyres this year also? Getting only 10 laps out of an option tyre is a joke! Imagine if at our level of motorsport we bought new tyres and they lasted, say even 20laps, I would be severely pissed off and want a refund!

Bring back Bridgestone or at least Kumho or Dunlop that can build a fast race tyre!! This is 2011 and they can't find a decent tyre supplier!!

F1 cars are supposed to go fast and they even look slow when they are full of fuel.

That's my spray out of the way.!!

Go Webber, even though your chances are slim.!!

Refuelling needs to come back, I agree that is sucks watching F1 cars go around slow! It will bring a lot more strategy back into pit stops.

What is with these crap tyres this year also? Getting only 10 laps out of an option tyre is a joke! Imagine if at our level of motorsport we bought new tyres and they lasted, say even 20laps, I would be severely pissed off and want a refund!

Bring back Bridgestone or at least Kumho or Dunlop that can build a fast race tyre!! This is 2011 and they can't find a decent tyre supplier!!

F1 cars are supposed to go fast and they even look slow when they are full of fuel.

That's my spray out of the way.!!

Go Webber, even though your chances are slim.!!

Pirelli can build a good race tyre. Unfortunately they were told by the FIA to build a shit race tyre, which is what they have done. So that, combined with the DRS & KERS gives people something to bang on about. Which atleast serves to hide the fact that the integrity, soul and general whole purpose of F1 has been destroyed in the name of getting people with generally NFI to watch a race.

They can basically take their crap tyres, their fake overtaking, their hopelessly compromised energy recovery systems & all the other junk & shove it.*

*Subject to someone other than Ferrari, McLaren or Redbull winning. Which may happen before 2020, but probably not.

feel sory for webber he'd probably dominate if it wasnt for vettel, thats a noob opinion though cos frankly i thought webber was a dud until about last year guess the car plays an equal if not more important role than the driver cos he sure seemed to struggle with the team before bmw was it?

Williams

Williams. You are kidding arent you?

They are having their worst season in living memory. Their million dollar super low awesome aero gearbox is a dog, other than the pay driver there is stuff all in the way of sponsorship & they just sacked Sam Micheal. Other than slowly sinking into obscurity/receivership I can see anything much happening to Williams.

And it pains me to say that. Because after Brabham disappeared, then Lotus disappeared, then March disappeared, then Scuderia Italia disappeared, the Tyrrell disappeared, then Jordan disappeared I decided to support them.