SAU Community

2011 F1 Thread

zebra

do you have the itv comentary?

yeah same as current aus broadcast. mine is all the old CH9 coverage, so pre-race with Alan Jones and Daryl Eastlake (and mark webber on occasion) and then in-race commentary is ITV (BBC?) with Martin Trundle and Murray "if I'm not very much mistaken" Walker... Also have the "In the pits" segments which are mostly crap but sometimes good.

all in all it's a good watch in bed of an evening. murray walker lulls me to sleep except for every now and then when he starts farking yelling. "OH NOE! IS THAT MICHAEL SCHUMACHER IN THE WALL!!!!!! THE CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER HAS CRASHED... oh wait it's a tyrell and it's not in the wall it's just entering the pits, my mistake"...

he was senile in the bloody 80s but by the late 90s it was beyond a joke. not that he was EVER that sharp as far as I can tell....

I'd LOVE to see some of the final turbo era stuff.... 1988, Mclaren MP4/4........** drools **

hehe, I have about 5 or 6 full years of 80s and most of the 90s. might start on the 2000s soon as they are fading in my memory and are nearly old enough to 'surprise' me with results.

the only problem with the 80s stuff is quality of footage is so shit. it's like a time machine watching the improvements in television broadcast quality. late 90s not too bad but even early 90s is pretty crap and 80s really crap. don't even ask what the 70s looks like.

Anyone remember one of the magazines testing the MP4/4 after it's last race? It was the first time anyone was allowed to strap a Correvit to one and publish some results.... From memory the article was called "The Last Turbo Charge".

I remember the figures vividly;

0-100klm/h - 2.6 seconds

0-200klm/k - 5.2 seconds, yep, ..... exactly!

all in all it's a good watch in bed of an evening. murray walker lulls me to sleep except for every now and then when he starts farking yelling. "OH NOE! IS THAT MICHAEL SCHUMACHER IN THE WALL!!!!!! THE CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER HAS CRASHED... oh wait it's a tyrell and it's not in the wall it's just entering the pits, my mistake"...

FKN LOLLLLLL!!!!

Anyone remember one of the magazines testing the MP4/4 after it's last race? It was the first time anyone was allowed to strap a Correvit to one and publish some results.... From memory the article was called "The Last Turbo Charge".

0-100klm/h - 2.6 seconds

ok, you've convinced me. next season I'm watching after '98 ends will be a turbo era season.

This current '98 season was also the year of the Maclarens 'double brake pedal' controversy. They were photographed at the first race of the year in aus with 2 brake pedals (1 for front + rear and one for rear only I think). from memory coulthard couldn't/didn't use it but mika used them to great effect till they were pulled 1 or 2 races later. cool idea. you'd have to be pretty switched on to make the most of it though, but the maclaren was such a good car that year I wonder if it really made much difference anyway.

me I don't care. I'm still watching 1998 season. last race was belgium GP. kick ass race. the race before was silverstone where schumi clinched the win and served his drive through penalty after the chequered flag! gold. then we went to germany where schumi was again closing on the maclarens (all maclaren front row so far for the 13 races of season 1998). and last race at SPA was crazy. it was wet and coulthard the retard spun off the start and caused a 10 car pile up at the exit of la source. basically only schumi, hakki and hill escaped but this being 1998 all the crashed losers just ran back and hoped in their spare cars. so we line up again with only 3 of the 10 crashed drivers not making the re-start. this time hakki loops it again on the exit of la source but only 2-3 cars in this one so the race keeps going. schumi starts out after vilenueve and get him in 1-2 laps, then irvine gracefully steps out of his way. now it's just coulthard and hill ahead of him, he gets the 'thard easy enough as he's a massive 2 seconds quicker than coulthard who in his super maclaren is 2 seconds quicker than anybody else (making schumi 4 seconds quicker than anyone in the wet). it's partly due to the fact that the goodyears schumi has are heaps better in the wet than the bridgestones (which have been superior in the dry at nearly all tracks). so schumi gets up to his 1996 sparring partner of hill and promptly cruises past. the next 20-30 laps see shcumi an absolute machine in the wet. until he comes up to Lap coulthard. following in DC's spray DC suddenly decides to lift off which at that speed sends schumi straight up his arse turning his 4 wheel ferrari into a 3 wheeled ferrari. schumi makes it back to the pits and try's to punch DC's lights out but gets pulled off by jean todt and others. it turns out they'd asked DC to let shcumi by but in the process he fked things up good. hungary next. the WDC is in the balance with hakkinen still just in front of schumi (who would have taken the lead if not taken out by DC). regardless of the result (bloody hill won in his jordan) schumi drove a bloody amazing race at Spa. it's probably my favourite track and having driven there in the dry and on a partially wet track I don't know how schumi could drive so fast there in the wet.

so yeah, who cares about 2011. 1998 is much more enjoyable and I can't remember who wins WDC that season so it'll be a surprise when I get there.

plus they have webber as guest commentator a few times that year. good value. he looks like a kid!

Yeah 1998 is where it is at. From memory Schumi tried to punch on with Coulthard after the Liberace? Dont hating on Damon, he was alright & the Jordon promo girlies were better than anything Force India has ever used.

Help me out Baron, what year was it that Hakkinen did the epic over take move on Schumi - it was at Spa & must have been 1999 or there abouts?

0-100klm/h - 2.6 seconds

That would have been Wheels magazine. If you are really keen I can dig it out as I have them all stuffed in a cupboard at home.

The Mp4/4 was probably one of the greatest/most dominant cars of all time. Just a shame the Brabham BMW it owed so much to was a total dog.

yeah same as current aus broadcast. mine is all the old CH9 coverage, so pre-race with Alan Jones and Daryl Eastlake (and mark webber on occasion) and then in-race commentary is ITV (BBC?) with Martin Trundle and Murray "if I'm not very much mistaken" Walker... Also have the "In the pits" segments which are mostly crap but sometimes good.

he was senile in the bloody 80s but by the late 90s it was beyond a joke. not that he was EVER that sharp as far as I can tell....

I used to love the Alan Jones pre race commentary. He would be reading the grid out & stumble over the names of all the back markers because, after all, who really gave a fk about the name of the ninth different pay driver in the Minardi for the year? Good work, good prep.

Big Darryl Eastlake on the other hand was always a complete fkwit. Oh gees you can see the emotion written all over his helmet etc etc..

Yeah 1998 is where it is at. From memory Schumi tried to punch on with Coulthard after the Liberace? Dont hating on Damon, he was alright & the Jordon promo girlies were better than anything Force India has ever used.

Help me out Baron, what year was it that Hakkinen did the epic over take move on Schumi - it was at Spa & must have been 1999 or there abouts?

yep, he did try and punch out coulthard at the end of Spa!! it was gold. never seen ze cherman so fired up. they both came back to the pits together (with schumi driving on 3 wheels mind you and still faster than the tyrells and minardis), schumi parks it, helmet off and starts storming over to Maclaren (great commentator murray walker as usual misreads it and yells "oh my! Schumacher is heading over to talk to the stewards" lol what an idiot). he bursts into Maclaren and starts pushing and swinging punches trying to get a bead on coulthard. jean todt is practically jumping on his back at this point (probably feeling guilty as it was indirectly his fault, if he'd said nothing it wouldn't have happened) and a few burly big mac crew dissuade schumi from plowing any further into their garage.

yeah epic hakkinen pass on schumi was 99 (sure as hell wasn't 98 as schumi was GOD of Spa 1998). what year did hakkinen end up 'crying in the woods like hakkinen'?

I used to love the Alan Jones pre race commentary. He would be reading the grid out & stumble over the names of all the back markers because, after all, who really gave a fk about the name of the ninth different pay driver in the Minardi for the year? Good work, good prep.

Big Darryl Eastlake on the other hand was always a complete fkwit. Oh gees you can see the emotion written all over his helmet etc etc..

that's funny. I just made my gf watch AJ try and go through qualy. it's hilarious.

forget the backmarkers names. I have seen episodes where he couldn't pronounce ANYONES name!

some favourites.

Rolf schumacher (how hard is it to say RALF?)

takage (tak-kagi - should be tah-car-geh)

rosset

jacques vile-noooove

nakano

wurz (gets wurtz, or worse depending on mood)

even barrichello variously got barry-chello or barry-kiiiilo

he can't even say "trulli" - trooooool-iiiie

frentzen (don't even get him to try heinz-harald)

I think Hakkinenen he could say, but he did fk up coulthard (few different stabs at that one).

he did seem to be able to say "Hill" ok though. to his credit. lol sometimes could get irvine right too.

I still think Rolf was my favourite though as he was so consistent with that one.

ok, you've convinced me. next season I'm watching after '98 ends will be a turbo era season.

This current '98 season was also the year of the Maclarens 'double brake pedal' controversy. They were photographed at the first race of the year in aus with 2 brake pedals (1 for front + rear and one for rear only I think). from memory coulthard couldn't/didn't use it but mika used them to great effect till they were pulled 1 or 2 races later. cool idea. you'd have to be pretty switched on to make the most of it though, but the maclaren was such a good car that year I wonder if it really made much difference anyway.

what seasons have you DLed? and how many GIG between em? very interested in getting my hands on some of this. did you just torrent them??

that's funny. I just made my gf watch AJ try and go through qualy. it's hilarious.

forget the backmarkers names. I have seen episodes where he couldn't pronounce ANYONES name!

some favourites.

Rolf schumacher (how hard is it to say RALF?)

takage (tak-kagi - should be tah-car-geh)

rosset

jacques vile-noooove

nakano

wurz (gets wurtz, or worse depending on mood)

even barrichello variously got barry-chello or barry-kiiiilo

he can't even say "trulli" - trooooool-iiiie

frentzen (don't even get him to try heinz-harald)

I think Hakkinenen he could say, but he did fk up coulthard (few different stabs at that one).

he did seem to be able to say "Hill" ok though. to his credit. lol sometimes could get irvine right too.

I still think Rolf was my favourite though as he was so consistent with that one.

Yeah I used to watch it and think "Other than not turning up I wonder if Alan Jones could try any less?"

Then sure as sht the next GP Eastlake would do the intro: "Alan cant be with us tonight." Gold.