SAU Community

hey guys,

i have a general question and not sure if this is a common issue or something i need to address but when my car is idle (after driving) it sounds like i have a rattle under that car, only until i have my foot on the clutch does the noise stop and when im driving.

Any ideas what it is?

Thanks in advance!

A multi-plate clutch would be noisy with your foot on the clutch when theres no clamp on the plates & they're rattling around. Mine is...

Sounds like you have a noisy cluster-shaft bearing. It is located in the sandwich-plate of the gearbox. Common Nissan problem

Replacing the standard dual mass flywheel will rob the driveline of noise dampening. I have a lightweight flywheel with a JB single plate monty - noisey as all hell. Its the farkin worst... Much worse with aircon on too...

The dual mass flywheel may have been replaced in yours at some point in its history. Either way don't stress, very common, and it wont be bearing related.

yeah it's not the clutch rattling. it's the gearbox. when sitting in neutral with your foot off the pedal the input shaft in the box is spinning and the getrag's vibrate like all buggery with a nice thwacka thwacka thwacak noise. just part of 34 GTR enjoyment I'm afraid. and yes it can happen with stock cars but usually the dual mass flywheel (standard) takes care of most of it.