SAU Community

Na Supra Vs Na R34 Gt Vs Autech

kubiakGTR

I recently discovered that a stock NA Supra is as fast as a stock CV8 VZ Monaro when accelerating from 0-100*. Which probably isn't saying anything great for the Supra, but rather how slow the Monaro is. Still the fact a P plate legal car can keep up with a V8 Sports coupe with nearly double the displacement is saying something.

Personally though if I had the choice I'd take the Autech S15 any day. It has decent power, a nice interior and the best chassis of all three.

* Yes I'm aware if the sprint continued on to 150kph the Monaro would probably be leagues in front, or if you started modding both the Monaro would pull away significantly.

Sources:

http://www.aaa.asn.au/roadtests/reports/245.pdf

http://www.importforums.com/carsinfo.htm

Who ever did that road test for NRMA must have missed a gear.

Ive seen bog stock (and I mean bog stock) 02 Monaros...(the 225kw ones) run 14.0 at 98mph at willowbank

and there is no way a NA supra with 168kws will run 14.7 that is r33 gtst factory times and they had more power, more torque and were lighter, on basically the same size tyre.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive seen bog stock (and I mean bog stock) 02 Monaros...(the 225kw ones) run 14.0 at 98mph at willowbank

and there is no way a NA supra with 168kws will run 14.7 that is r33 gtst factory times and they had more power, more torque and were lighter, on basically the same size tyre.

I just looked up a couple more sources. 6.6-6.8s seems to be the go for a CV8 VZ Monaro 0-100, and I know 6.7 is about right for a Supra because I've seen that number numerous times having done lots of research on them, and the fact my car would easily do it.

Also it claims 14.9 is the 1/4 for an SZ Supra, which would be about right for a brand new motor as most (on the forums) do it in low 15's.

I just looked up a couple more sources. 6.6-6.8s seems to be the go for a CV8 VZ Monaro 0-100, and I know 6.7 is about right for a Supra because I've seen that number numerous times having done lots of research on them, and the fact my car would easily do it.

Also it claims 14.9 is the 1/4 for an SZ Supra, which would be about right for a brand new motor as most (on the forums) do it in low 15's.

Just because it says so on the internet, doesnt make it true, Like I said, Ive seen many Cv8's run 14.0 and around 14.2 in auto form.

i dunno about that. 147kw v6 magna with just a cat back exhaust will run high 14's. i got 14.8 out of mine. quickest i've seen with full exhaust is 14.4

Holy f dude, how times have you brought up your "missus's n15 SSS pulsar" ?? I have seen you post that in almost every thread about buying cars or racing cars and in almost every N/A forum thread lol....

Well hey at least he hasn't mentioned that 3.5 Magna with the cat b...

i dunno about that. 147kw v6 magna with just a cat back exhaust will run high 14's. i got 14.8 out of mine. quickest i've seen with full exhaust is 14.4

Damnit!

Valid points though.. People do need to realise that if it's P plate legal, it's P plate legal for a reason, and that reason is that it's slow.

about time someone mentioned the magna

good luck trying to beat a 3.5l awd off the line and you wont ever get any cop hassels

Well hey at least he hasn't mentioned that 3.5 Magna with the cat b...

Damnit!

Valid points though.. People do need to realise that if it's P plate legal, it's P plate legal for a reason, and that reason is that it's slow.

baaaaaaaaaaaahahahaham was wondering who would make the first comment in response to me saying something about a magna.

about time someone mentioned the magna

good luck trying to beat a 3.5l awd off the line and you wont ever get any cop hassels

except a rev limiter clutch dump in 1st nearly stalls the car.

pretty funny to watch

But an AWD magna is going to be automatic, which is fail. The FWD ones are lighter and faster anyway, and I too have seen N/A Magna’s pull over 140kW at the wheels and run mid 14 second 1/4's with basic mods (intake/exhaust) (talking the 3.5L manual).

However I am a massive hater of FWD, so thats the end of anything condoning it from me ;).

Also as for the V8 argument, too many people have the mindset "oh its a V8 its going to be fast". They are not, they are hopeless off the line. Auto/Manual, LS1/LS2, SV8, SS, Sedan, Ute and the older Monaro’s are all useless. As are most XR8 utes and sedans, I'm talking new cars in stock or basic (exhaust) form.

I've driven them all and they are crap, usually incredibly heavy and have stupidly tall gearing. The LS1 is the worst, bogs down heavy then hits the limiter just as it starts to wind up, they are no good, the V6 versions of most falcadores beat them to 80-100kmph "at the lights", or AT LEAST don’t have enough to pull away before the "drag lane" ends.

Should probably wear a flame suit, but I'm sorry kids, that is how it is. I'm not an 8 hater, and with some shorter gearing, a retune and an incredibly aggressive launch in a manual, they do haul ass, but standard they are a big disappointment. They do manage a good burnout though, until the diff lets go...

The N/A supra would walk away from most falcadore 8's in stock form 0-100 and is definitely what you should get if your only care is the traffic light grand prix, and just raw accel. They also have a pretty decent delivery (in manual form) so are bearable to drive (nice pull up top).

However, I would still go the S15.

Edited by SKiT_R31

hmm you should also mention that magnas are built like and drive like shit too, as well as looking like something a 50 year old accountant might consider "sporty"

I dunno, my cammed 5 litre was fairly quick off the line compared to any RB20DET I put it up against, top end was a different story though lol

I can actually shed light on the original question here rather than talking about my girlfriends shitty pulsar sss or my magna with an exhaust system which is of NO HELP in ANY of these threads..

I have driven all 3 of those cars, my friend had a R34 2.5 NA manual (i have a R33 2.5 NA manual - pretty much the same), my flat mate has an s15 Autech, and i have driven/been in a NA supra about 6 times.

The fastest was the autech for sure, maybe not in numbers but it felt the fastest for sure, pulled MUCH harder. The R33 and R34 NA are just slow as hell, whereas the supra is a heavy beast but has got power, although not the type of power you want to go back to time and time again - it's pretty timid.

In terms of modding, the autech is tuned from factory and shouldn't need to be touched. The Supra and Skyline respond pretty well to intake/exhausts as a starting point but i wouldn't bother to go much further.

I'd say all 3 of those cars are quite reliable in their own right.

My advice would be to get something average like a RB20DE r32 coupe until you are off your P's, becuase those 3 cars mentioned above are so expensive for what they are. If you would like to know more about how each of those cars drive you can PM me, i can say out of the 10 cars i have owned since i started driving 5 years ago, the turbos (and my old Soarer V8) are the only cars i miss and crave to drive.

Edited by rorz

Pick the cr you like the best...not like you drive it everywhere at WOT and 7k rpm.....for street duties the Supra gets my vote simple because of the bigger motor, same brakes as the turbo model etc...so later, just throw a GT42 at it and run 9's

Pick the cr you like the best...not like you drive it everywhere at WOT and 7k rpm.....for street duties the Supra gets my vote simple because of the bigger motor, same brakes as the turbo model etc...so later, just throw a GT42 at it and run 9's

Might need a bit more work than that. :(