SAU Community

10 - 12" Sub In The Boot Feedback

Longz

So i was thinking of adding a Sub to my sound system i was concerned regarding the weight of it , do people with subs that big feel a difference when driving , can u feel a power difference due to it being in the car is what i am mainly asking.

Thanks feedback appreciated

I feel mine roll around and smack into both sides cause its not bolted down lol

But honestly... Ive taken mine out to take the car down the strip. And the only thing I've noticed is my music doesnt sound as good. Its only say 5kg for a 12" sub and box, while if your looking for a complete stripped out track going car, is alot. Just your average performance road car its not a big deal. I really dont think you'd notice the difference anyway

you can build a carbon fibre or fiberglass box, tube, enclosure

or even get by with a smaller sub under the rear deck lip depending on the car model.

I find my car ride is better on the street with more weight on the rear but my spring rate is jap spec stiff, but I have extreme amounts of equipment and very large amounts of O gauge wire

I use carbon fibre and fiberglass in my car to cut the weight as much as possible, yes you notice it a bit but the spare weighs a lot more then both of my sub boxes

But your not driving a race car on the street, you need good tunes..lol

do a few mods to the engine and stop eating maccas and you over come the weight in the boot????..hahaha

and not having a box mounted is a disaster waiting to happen, dents or it turns into a missle in a accident ?

You can always get a slim line sub. . The new 1s from pioneer are pretty decent. You also end up with a nice clean install. . The cool thing about the slim line is you make it so that it is totaly hidden. .

AANNNDDD They sound like shit.

My mate just bought one, decent quality apparently, and I'm just like urgh. I've raped the shit out of my 12" clarion and it still sounds better than his. He turns it up, and you can hear it distort majorly (this is on the day he bought it, too). Where-as mines 6 months old, and still has better quality.

From a logistics POV it's not bad, however if you want quality, go a normal size.

I've got a 12" clarion in a 10" sub box. To bolt it down, I put some pine wood under the carpet and screwed it in. nice and ghetto. I'll get things fibreglassed when I have the dosh, but it's holding great atm.

I didn't feel a different in weight.

These are 6 cyl cars which weigh around 1.4tonnes, a 5-10kg sub, box and amp isn't going to make a great difference.

> and not having a box mounted is a disaster waiting to happen, dents or it turns into a missle in a accident ?

That, and it'll damage your cables.

>> Edit2

Also, just noticed you've got a GTR. dfw about weight. Go get a professional to carbon fibre or fibreglass a box in the boot for you. It's a beautiful car you've got, please don't do dodgy home jobs.

Edited by SKITTLES

you can fit a pair of 10 or 12 behind the factory panels on most skylines(most cars too), in a custom fibreglass box, they don't take any room at all, looks factory still. much better then the e'blow generic box.

I have a pair of pro 12's in a carbon fibre/bullet proof lexan bandpass box's and it takes up minimal room,(tuned to match the speaker not generic boxes ) still have full access to the spare etc. ported thru the factory speaker holes, no metal cutting at all besides moving the jack to the middle of my spare instead of the side wall. so a little creativity you can do it right and not use up all the space.

I have one of those moulded sub boxes on the way if you want to know how it fits etc. Should be here next week at the latest.

They fit really well.

I used to work for a company my mate opened up called North Coast Kustoms and as a bit of a demo display we installed two of those enclosures on either side and made a false floor with a perspex panel to view the amp underneath it.

Still had 90% of my boot space and looked extremely neat.

Kind of miss having that setup...

• 2 weeks later...

Did a quick fit of the sub box today. Its soooo light I was worried I was going to break it! but seems solid and well built :)

594611d5.jpg

Sorry its a bad photo off my iPhone but you get the idea

• 3 weeks later...

always secure subs and amps ect. its funny till it fails....

a friend of mine thought he'd be cool and just wire up an amp and sub in the boot straight off a non-fused power cable from the main power behind the ignition (bodgy bodgy stuff, but in a comondoor so all i did was laugh), didnt bolt anything down at all.

First corner he threw it around it ripped the cables out of the amp and sub, shorted everything out and his steering collum proceeded to smoke and burn :)

fire was extinguished but not before all the ignition wires and important stuff was melted into a ball of stupidity

never leave electric unsecured

• 2 weeks later...

you can fit a pair of 10 or 12 behind the factory panels on most skylines(most cars too), in a custom fibreglass box, they don't take any room at all, looks factory still. much better then the e'blow generic box.

I have a pair of pro 12's in a carbon fibre/bullet proof lexan bandpass box's and it takes up minimal room,(tuned to match the speaker not generic boxes ) still have full access to the spare etc. ported thru the factory speaker holes, no metal cutting at all besides moving the jack to the middle of my spare instead of the side wall. so a little creativity you can do it right and not use up all the space.

any pictures

They fit really well.

I used to work for a company my mate opened up called North Coast Kustoms and as a bit of a demo display we installed two of those enclosures on either side and made a false floor with a perspex panel to view the amp underneath it.

Still had 90% of my boot space and looked extremely neat.

Kind of miss having that setup...

any pictures