SAU Community

Success!

So its been a while since iv posted but iv been busy etc anyhow for those of you who know my car will be aware it has been converted to S13 Suspension.. and most will be aware this creates an issue with tie rods not fitting!!

after loads of ideas iv finally just took a punt and just used a die grinder to re shape the arms and well it was a resounding success!! it drives perfect im very happy to finally sort it all out !!! the next step is going to be finally sorting out my 5 stud conversion as i have my 18s still sitting in my house waiting to go on..

i took some photos to

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

i have 2 sets of tyres, i intend to put on 235/35or40?/18 semi slicks i got of a 2010 STI there a 9 inch rim so they will be stretched on..

there a dish type old school wheel 0 offset they fit fine as iv tested them they should look really good (they are not in anyway a modern wheel!

Edited by FJ20DR30

Each to his own I guess?

But having driven on Australian roads for over 40 years and traveled over 3000000km in that time, in all sorts of vehicles, I know exactly why they make road tyres and track tyres and why profiles are so important.

With your 35/40 profiles on your 18 inch rims, I would recommend you buy a kidney belt and wear it everytime you drive. Your tyres are going to be so hard, your ride quality will be almost nil, you will be able to roll over a 5c piece and know if it's heads or tales, when driving on cement/concrete roads your going to be tracking the joins/expansion joints like nobodies business, miss cue just a little and clip the high side of a driveway kerb, or hit a pot hole and you're most certainly going to be buying another tyre and possibly another wheel rim as well.

As for semi slick tyres on the road, yes they are street legal, but only because they have grooves in them. The side walls are not designed to take ANY abuse, scraping/rubbing a gutter, or bumping a kerb and your likely to be looking for replacements. They do not like the heat cycling that occurs in road driving conditions, because once they reach operating temperature, they like to stay there, not get hot & cold like a road tyre. They are also going to have a 270kph speed rating when in Victoria, with more speed cameras than anyone would care to know about, get caught doing much more than 120 and your pride and joy will be parked for quite some time.

All seems a huge waste to me when other sizes are available and designed for the purpose at hand with costs significantly lower and therefore more economical.

I wonder if you or anyone consideres the insurance side of things??

Even Shannon's & Just Cars frown on anything more than a plus 1 concept. They will take your money and say nothing until it's time to pay out on a claim.

JMHO

D

Each to his own I guess?

But having driven on Australian roads for over 40 years and traveled over 3000000km in that time, in all sorts of vehicles, I know exactly why they make road tyres and track tyres and why profiles are so important.

With your 35/40 profiles on your 18 inch rims, I would recommend you buy a kidney belt and wear it everytime you drive. Your tyres are going to be so hard, your ride quality will be almost nil, you will be able to roll over a 5c piece and know if it's heads or tales, when driving on cement/concrete roads your going to be tracking the joins/expansion joints like nobodies business, miss cue just a little and clip the high side of a driveway kerb, or hit a pot hole and you're most certainly going to be buying another tyre and possibly another wheel rim as well.

As for semi slick tyres on the road, yes they are street legal, but only because they have grooves in them. The side walls are not designed to take ANY abuse, scraping/rubbing a gutter, or bumping a kerb and your likely to be looking for replacements. They do not like the heat cycling that occurs in road driving conditions, because once they reach operating temperature, they like to stay there, not get hot & cold like a road tyre. They are also going to have a 270kph speed rating when in Victoria, with more speed cameras than anyone would care to know about, get caught doing much more than 120 and your pride and joy will be parked for quite some time.

All seems a huge waste to me when other sizes are available and designed for the purpose at hand with costs significantly lower and therefore more economical.

I wonder if you or anyone consideres the insurance side of things??

Even Shannon's & Just Cars frown on anything more than a plus 1 concept. They will take your money and say nothing until it's time to pay out on a claim.

JMHO

D

lol hard is good ! the coilovers are also set to full hard big front sway bar! talking about tyre temps etc??? there factory tyres of an sti there road tyres and they cost me nothing!!! i also run 2.5 degrees of negitive camber just to get it turning

to be honest i understand where you are coming from but its not luxury car its my own old school torge car. i dont care about bouncing out of my seat in town as long as it looks good and blitzes the corners when i take it to the hills.

like you say each to there own.

Well ya got me! If I was gettin my tyres for free, it don't matter really what they are eh? I have a couple of sets of 245/45 x 16 Yokohama A008-RSII that cost me nearly nothing, they are about 5 years old, side walls aren't as flexible as might be liked, useless as track tyres, but curious how they might perform as road tyres.

D

Hey Dennis, if your looking to off load those 245's at any time give me a bell. Although I was hoping to get a shit pair before our major car show here in WA which is in mid JAN. I want them to destroy. I run that size at the mo but don't want to inihalate these ones. You could send them with the badges.

Hey Dennis, if your looking to off load those 245's at any time give me a bell. Although I was hoping to get a shit pair before our major car show here in WA which is in mid JAN. I want them to destroy. I run that size at the mo but don't want to inihalate these ones. You could send them with the badges.

Hey Ricky, I could, but I don't think they will fit in the same size package :rofl2::rofl2:

I don't know that I am at the moment, but all might change before then. You going to spring for the freight?

D

Yeah alright, I'll look after the freight expense Dennis, knowing you got those tyres for "next to nothing" makes me feel all the better about the aquisition. You being the fair sorta bloke you are I'm sure you'll pass on the good fortune that you encountered with these tyres. LOL, I'm not in dire need of them. If you decide they're in the way after you've tripped over them a dozen times, let me know and we'll see what develops.

Cheers Ricky