SAU Community

Loud Sucking Noise With Loss Of Power

tommygun

G'day I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction, recently my car when taking off from the lights etc a large sucking/high pitched sound emits as i speed up (no it's not the pod filter), could this be a boost leak of some sort? As mentioned I have lost power

If it's a standard turbo with the nylon compressor wheel (cant recall what R34 has) and sounds like a police siren it could be a bent shaft in the turbo. This causes a weird noise, probably by rubbing on the inside of the compressor. Happened to my friends R33 GTST a few years ago. Made zero boost after this happened.

Definitely check hoses though.

Vacuum leak, exhaust leak or damaged turbo.

99% it would be one of them but I would be leaning towards to vacuum leak.

Does the car hunt on idle (RPM goes up and down)?

I'm not inclined to say, i havent really noticed, im up in darwin atm but when i get home i will have a look

easiest way to check if its a vacumm leak is to spray some aerostart or similar around the pipes while the engine is running and if theres a vacuum leak the engine will rev a bit. Dont spray stupid amounts around just spray a little bit. if it revs when you spray some, then check the spot around where you sprayed

• 5 months later...