SAU Community

Is My Turbo On It's Way Out?

Charles89

Hey guys,

Recently I've noticed my turbo is sounding different. When my turbo kicks in from 0-0.3-4 bar, it sounds all normal, like the high pitch whistle, but when it goes higher up until 0.7bar, it sounds like it's screaming? lol

Kind of sounds like the turbine is loose or something. Is that normal?....

Thanks!

Well if it never used to sound like that before that i would say its not normal.....

It could be from a leaky exh gasket or the nuts holding the turbo to the manifold running loose or the turbo itself on its way out.

Start scrapping and do some investigating...take off the intake pipe and check for excessive shaft play

It sounds more like a jet turbine with the way the air moves through it?

+1 check for shaft play in the turbo.

From experience though, this could be the rear turbine wheel (exhaust wheel) is starting to bust up and break away.

Sorry guys, I kinda don't have much idea on how to check those things.... Can you guys shed some light? ;)

follow your airfilter back to the turbo, take that hose off the turbo, use ur hand and see if the compressor wheel has any shaft play :(

when my shaft f**ked it self and the compressor starting just making love to the housing it sounded like an A10 fighter jet, ridiculously loud but it still boosted fine.

The longer you leave it the worse it will get, if it is a stock turbo I wouldn't worry as you will probably just bin the whole thing, but if its an expensive after market or a high-flow the sooner you take it out the greater the chance it can be repaired without too many new parts.

First confirm this is what is happening by taking the front side off the turbo and look for wear marks and shaft play, it could be as simple as a leaking exhaust gasket or something making it sound high pitched though I'd put my money on it being the turbo shitting itself.

if you cant do it yourself take it to a turbo workshop and get them to diagnose it, find a quality place so they don't take you for a ride though.

Edited by Rolls

although it sounds sick lol. mine sounded like a jet, but it was my exhaust wheel... i was booting the car once heard a bang and a rattle thru the exhaust, car sounded like a jet after that... bit of my exhaust wheel had come off.. mind you the car kept boosting as normal.

when my shaft f**ked it self and the compressor starting just making love to the housing it sounded like an A10 fighter jet, ridiculously loud but it still boosted fine.

The longer you leave it the worse it will get, if it is a stock turbo I wouldn't worry as you will probably just bin the whole thing, but if its an expensive after market or a high-flow the sooner you take it out the greater the chance it can be repaired without too many new parts.

First confirm this is what is happening by taking the front side off the turbo and look for wear marks and shaft play, it could be as simple as a leaking exhaust gasket or something making it sound high pitched though I'd put my money on it being the turbo shitting itself.

if you cant do it yourself take it to a turbo workshop and get them to diagnose it, find a quality place so they don't take you for a ride though.

It's just a stock turbo, so it's no biggie I guess. But yeah, I'll do a check on it when

I get some time and I guess if it's stuffed then I'll get a high flow.

But yeah, had another listen to it, it does sound like a jet lol. But it's definitely still boosting fine. But am I losing any power at all? And if I happen to leave it, what would happen? Lol

• Nope 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

No, I haven't had time to check it out or fix anything.

BUT, my boost is slowly creeping up.... Now it creeps up to about 0.85 bar of boost and I don't even have a boost controller in the car....