SAU Community

Having Two Cars

Modena

Hi all,

I used to have an R33 GTST S2 and it was an awesome car but then I felt I needed to sell it when I bought my house and needed to buy a cheaper car, so I got a 2007 Corolla.

Corolla is a nice car but boring to look at and boring to drive compared to my Skyline.

I am thinking of buying a second car, an R34 GTT coupe as a weekend car.

I dont really drive my corolla to work, mainly when going out and to shops. But also want a weekender sports car.

For all those people, who have a Skyline and another daily, is it worth it? Or should I sell the Corolla? Because the Corolla is a great cheap car to run and I dont want to part with it either.

It only costs me 500 bucks insurance and 600 in rego each year, plus service costs but I service her myself now.

The R34 should not cost me much more either... but will definitely add more fun to my weekend drives.

If you only need 1 car, I'd sell the Corolla and get a Skyline or Quick and Practical car. I know Corolla is a great, reliable and practical car - my parents have one, I lost count how many I've borrowed it off them.

I often pondered if having 2 cars is worth it, if you must have a working car, yes it is worth having 2 cars. However in your case, no point in having 2 cars unless you're going to modify the Skyline.

I got a ute for a daily and the 33 for fun.

Is it worth it.......dunno

Would i sell it....Nahhhh :thumbsup:

EDIT..what is this limited usage insurance and who has it..?

Edited by Arthur T3

Depends on circumstances really eh?

It'd be justified to use the Corolla as a 'daily' + the Skyline for weekend squirts if

a) you can afford it

b) expenditure isn't putting the squeeze on you

c) mortgage is not choking you

d) you run up enough kms on the 'daily'

e) you're intending to keep the Skyline kms low

If the above don't justify it, I'd swap the Corolla for your nice R34 GTT and...

a) park it in spots where it won't get bumped

b) gain that true satisfaction of being in a car that performs like an ace

My 'daily' is justified because it's parked in a risky area twice a week + it does over 30,000km/yr

Twin car package with Shannons is $2K premium per year for...

a) 'daily' with sum insured of $22,500 and...

b) GTR with sum insured of $70,000

In our family's case Grant, it's the area.

In one 7 year period, we had...

An R31 GXE graffiti'd

The same R31 stolen > burnt

An XR6 stolen > burnt

A Maloo stolen

Just after selling a VL Grp A SS the new owner in the same area lost it - stolen

Suzuki Swift GTi stolen > our family was grilled one by one until we were paid out 2 months later > we're left with a tarnished reputation by now.

I have wanted to get a daily for a while, as i do approx 20,000km per year, and i am putting a fair few kms on my S14a. But on the other hand i just love driving it. So i thought instead of getting a daily, i will put the money into an engine rebiuld and everyones a winner!

I'm running a Corolla daily and a 33 weekender and yeah to me it's worth it!

I use corolla everyday for work and it's great as its sooo easy and brainless to drive and I don't have to put up with stiff suspension, loud exhaust and not as smooth running behavior from the pfc on the 33 etc.

Means I can have the 33 off the road for diy mods/maintenance (like it is ATM lol) and it also feels better when I do actually drive it.

As for costs, for me the corolla is adding $35 in expenses per week so it's hardly anything. The corolla also uses half the fuel (in 91 octane!) of the 33 and I need to replace the o2 sensor soon.

I do pretty much tick the whole of Terry's checklist above except for maybe the last point.

Depends on circumstances really eh?

It'd be justified to use the Corolla as a 'daily' + the Skyline for weekend squirts if

a) you can afford it

b) expenditure isn't putting the squeeze on you

c) mortgage is not choking you

d) you run up enough kms on the 'daily'

e) you're intending to keep the Skyline kms low

If the above don't justify it, I'd swap the Corolla for your nice R34 GTT and...

a) park it in spots where it won't get bumped

b) gain that true satisfaction of being in a car that performs like an ace

My 'daily' is justified because it's parked in a risky area twice a week + it does over 30,000km/yr

Twin car package with Shannons is $2K premium per year for...

a) 'daily' with sum insured of $22,500 and...

b) GTR with sum insured of $70,000

Thanks Terry for the detailed reply.

a) you can afford it? Yes I have over 26 K saved up... plan to have even more within the next 6 months, working full time with side business also.

b) expenditure isn't putting the squeeze on you? No I save a lot more than I spend and pretty good with money. I also dont smoke and dont drink much and drugs are not also the issue here.

c) mortgage is not choking you? Yeah its high, bit over $500 per week but I have a house mate and may get another soon. Plus my house has gone up since I bought it at least $100,000 over 2.5 years ago.

d) you run up enough kms on the 'daily'? Not really, i live 22 KMs from the city and I usually go out every Friday and Saturday so thats 90 Kms at least every weekend and I also drive to shops a few times a week which is 5 min drive. So it does add up. My work is also about 30 KMs away from where i live.

e) you're intending to keep the Skyline kms low? Yeah that would be good.

Also the Corolla is a hatch so I can fit so much into it, its like a wagon for me... I dont want to part with it due it its practicallyity and cheapness.

I would suggest have 2 cars as looks like you can afford to, and you don't need to have the R34 GT-T on the road alot hence save kms and fuel.

I have 3 cars, 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage (Work), 2004 Nissan Skyline V35 coupe (Weekends) and 2010 Nissan Dualis (Family occasions). I don't have a mortgage yet as Mrs bought the house already without me. :P

Edited by Victor.T

WIN!

At least...i think, lol. :P

Haha, yeah. At least for now, until we buy another house or move to bigger house.

I used to have 2 jobs before (Looking at having 2 jobs again soon), so thought of having 1 extra car just for work. Mrs drives the Dualis and my V35 stays in the garage all week. :P

Edited by Victor.T

I got 2 cars.

AE71 Corolla for the daily and GTR on weeknds + the occasional drive during the week.

It is very practical having a daily, bit more room to put and transport things around.

More practical when I am going out with friends if I have to drive as I can take 5 ppl (including me).

Don't have to worry about "cool down time" and can park it anywhere and not have to worry about it.

Although the Corolla has a Carby and not EFI, it is still cheap to run and servicing / general maintenance will never cost as much as the Skyline.

I do about 250 km's per week, going to work and back home and use no more than half a tank.

+ having the luxury of 2 cars is good if 1 is in for a service... You got another car to drive.

My 32 was my daily for a few years until it started to get a bit too serious to drive on the street. I also wanted to rebuild the 3L with stronger parts which was going to take a while.

So I bought a modified Stagea for the daily, can fit heaps of shit in there (could only fit one gear bag in the back of the 32, now I can take 3 other people to training/tournaments), goes quite hard for a lunchbox, inconspicuous (read: cops don't even look at it), and it's all in the family (engine/drivetrain layout is familiar and some parts are interchangable).

It's probably not as economical as most peoples' dailies, but it's a shitload more fun than the old bunkies I used to have as dailies.

Having two vehicles (a reliable one and than a Skyline or such) is probably the best way to enjoy each.

I have the Skyline as a fun car and than the motorbike and the gf's Mazda 3 to go to work, shops etc.

There is nothing better than working on the car knowing you don't need to rush to put it back together for work the next day.

I used to only have the Skyline and it was a pain in the ass trying to modify it and use it every single day.

If you can afford it, definetely go for it. You will love the car so much more and enjoy the practicallity of a daily. Once i'm settled in my new Engineering job next year, i'm definetely buying another car to add to the list; most likely a Euro.

I have 3 cars, 2 are rego'd.

R31 daily

cefiro skid car

un-reg Rx2 coupe.

If you can afford the extra reg,insurance and have enough room for another car, do it.

Having a good economy, practical,and something that doesnt get picked on my the police, daily driver is great.