SAU Community

Having Two Cars

Modena

+ 1 for owning a daily & weekend car. In my opinion it's the only way to go ! As all the other members have already mentioned the positives far out weigh the negatives :thumbsup:

Yep, I couldn't agree more. The V36 sedan is my daily; it's comfortable, quick, very few around and the cops don't look twice. The R34 is for weekend use only and is for sure more fun to drive, and it's quicker, but less comfortable and smaller, and I've been defected one time too many in it and won't make that mistake again.

I would find it very, very hard to sell the R34 though (had it for over 5 years now), I used to own a '06 Maxima before as a daily and didn't enjoy driving it as much, the V36 is so much more fun as a daily (and comfortable too). Surprisingly good on fuel usage too, the Maxima was getting 11L/100km at 175kW, while the V36 gets 10.5L/100km at 232kW. Go figure.

I say you do it and buy the R34, you won't regret it. You only live once :thumbsup:

Yep, I couldn't agree more. The V36 sedan is my daily; it's comfortable, quick, very few around and the cops don't look twice. The R34 is for weekend use only and is for sure more fun to drive, and it's quicker, but less comfortable and smaller, and I've been defected one time too many in it and won't make that mistake again.

I would find it very, very hard to sell the R34 though (had it for over 5 years now), I used to own a '06 Maxima before as a daily and didn't enjoy driving it as much, the V36 is so much more fun as a daily (and comfortable too). Surprisingly good on fuel usage too, the Maxima was getting 11L/100km at 175kW, while the V36 gets 10.5L/100km at 232kW. Go figure.

I say you do it and buy the R34, you won't regret it. You only live once :thumbsup:

Steve,

So you have V36 sedan and R34 GT-T coupe (Both black) like in your avatar? Nice.

I wanted to get a V35 or V36 sedan as a second car but didn't want to have 2 imports at this stage. So I got myself a Nissan Dualis (8.2L/100km) + my V35 coupe (Both white). :)

Edited by Victor.T

i have 2 cars

a 1964 EH holden & an R33

Both get driven about the same amount but i don't work far from home so wear and tear is kept fairly low.

One is auto and the other is manual so if im lazy i just take the EH or if i'm late for work ill take the skyline (not for speeding but more-so for it not steering like a boat)

And like others have said if one is off the road getting work then you have the other one to drive

When I bought my V35 Coupe few months ago I sold my 95' Accord and now I am regretting it! I should have just kept the Accord as my daily.

Only after I have sold it did I realise it is much better to have access to a 4 door sedan with a real boot anytime to do all those grunt work and haul things around.

Plus the V35 is a manual and the Honda is auto. Manual in daily rush hour traffic = nightmare.

So weekended + daily is definitely the way to go!

yeah im a big fan of the 'daily'.

Iv had one for years as a sportsbiker n iv kept it into my ownership of skylines.

couple of contingencies though as it is a bit of a balance sheet i found

issue- do you need a daily? are you constantly in areas which puts the car at risk or makes being in it useless (heavy traffic)

costs- how much more it will cost you to have a daily (vs the higher km maintenance and parts for a 10yr old performance).

use- is there alot of time where you will use the daily or will it be twice a week daily and 5 times a week skyline?

for me all of those things add up so i do the daily. also means i really cherish getting in the skyline. It stays garaged and covered so when it comes out it is always glistening polished. also the power feels like nothing else after going from 50hp to 300hp. sound system to. its all a real treat that i hang out for and probably wouldnt appreciate it as much if i used it every day...

and man, post GFC there are so many bargain cars out there (tho u already have your corolla as a daily yeah)

Steve,

So you have V36 sedan and R34 GT-T coupe (Both black) like in your avatar? Nice.

I wanted to get a V35 or V36 sedan as a second car but didn't want to have 2 imports at this stage. So I got myself a Nissan Dualis (8.2L/100km) + my V35 coupe (Both white). :)

Hey Vic,

Thanks. Yeah that's both cars in my avatar. The R34 is actually navy blue, the V36 is black.

I was weighing up getting a brand new 2010 Maxima 350 Ti instead of the V36, but noticed pretty much for the same price (actually, slightly less) you get the V36 sedan, I didn't have to think hard to make that choice :)

we have the 33 it hardly gets driven sometimes it sits in the garage for months without been driven we have only done 25.000ks in 5 yrs but its nice to drive when we do use it .

mrs drives a vz for her daily and i have a el wagon that use for carting crap around in and towing the race car .

if you can afford the rego and insurence why not have a nice weekender .

cheers dean

I used to have 3 cars and a mortgage all by myself. 2 cars were owned and 1 was on finance.

Had a BMW 318i and Calibra Turbo as a daily (alternate daily) and a 450hp WRX which was a weekender and track car. All 3 cars were pretty expensive to insure and maintain, so I used to cringe when insurance and rego was due, but it was hell lot of fun trying to decide which car to drive.

Even my neighbours knew which car I was taking for the day due to the different exhaust notes. It also made my house look like there was always someone home even it was just me living in it.

Hey Vic,

Thanks. Yeah that's both cars in my avatar. The R34 is actually navy blue, the V36 is black.

I was weighing up getting a brand new 2010 Maxima 350 Ti instead of the V36, but noticed pretty much for the same price (actually, slightly less) you get the V36 sedan, I didn't have to think hard to make that choice :)

Hey Steve,

Sorry I couldn't see your R34 is navy blue. :P

I wouldn't mind new or old Maxima (Big rims+lowered ride height = VIP). But ended up with a Dualis as we have to get a SUV in the future anyway.

Anyhow, nice choice you made there, Steve. I am sure you will enjoy both your cars. :thumbsup:

Edited by Victor.T

My Forester copped hail in Henry St Penrith yesterday > glad it wasn't the Skyline eh?

Getting dent removalist quote later to-day. Sh!t.

Damn, sorry to hear about your Forester, Terry.

One of my work mate from the east (My work's main office is in Queensland) said there was hail storm warning in the eastern states yesterday.

Hope you get it fixed quick and hassle-free.

Edited by Victor.T

we have the 33 it hardly gets driven sometimes it sits in the garage for months without been driven we have only done 25.000ks in 5 yrs but its nice to drive when we do use it .

mrs drives a vz for her daily and i have a el wagon that use for carting crap around in and towing the race car .

if you can afford the rego and insurence why not have a nice weekender .

cheers dean

haha puts me to shame.. since owning my car i havent even done 5000k's lol

Hi all,

I used to have an R33 GTST S2 and it was an awesome car but then I felt I needed to sell it when I bought my house and needed to buy a cheaper car, so I got a 2007 Corolla.

Corolla is a nice car but boring to look at and boring to drive compared to my Skyline.

I am thinking of buying a second car, an R34 GTT coupe as a weekend car.

I dont really drive my corolla to work, mainly when going out and to shops. But also want a weekender sports car.

For all those people, who have a Skyline and another daily, is it worth it? Or should I sell the Corolla? Because the Corolla is a great cheap car to run and I dont want to part with it either.

It only costs me 500 bucks insurance and 600 in rego each year, plus service costs but I service her myself now.

The R34 should not cost me much more either... but will definitely add more fun to my weekend drives.

Get a Modena then.... :)

Damn, sorry to hear about your Forester, Terry.

One of my work mate from the east (My work's main office is in Queensland) said there was hail storm warning in the eastern states yesterday.

Hope you get it fixed quick and hassle-free.

Thanks VT

Funny how the aluminium bonnet (on the XT ie. Rexxy engine) shows up all the dents and the steel roof shows up nothing!

Thanks VT

Funny how the aluminium bonnet (on the XT ie. Rexxy engine) shows up all the dents and the steel roof shows up nothing!

Oh, so is just the bonnet that damaged then?

The last time we had hail storm in Perth (In March 2010), I took my V35 to work with no under cover parking. It started raining heavily around 4:30pm and the power got cut off. So we started going home (Work actually finish at 5:30pm) and I got home 5 minutes later. Then, I went back out with my Mirage to pick up my brother from University which is 30 minutes away, but took me 1 and a half hour to get there. There, I saw how bad the storm was (Traffic jams, flooded areas, etc.). So lucky I got to put my V35 into the garage earlier.

Again, sorry to hear about your Forester, Terry. Hope it all goes well for you.

having 2 cars is the only way to go i reckon.

i have the 34 in the workshop (has been since april) and after a week of borrowing my parents car they got me a company car 2010 bmw 320 d awesome on fuel and only cost me like 500 a month + its tax deductable.... fringe benefits tax is a bit of a head f**k but i get to work every day in comfort and know that the 34 is safe. i work at highpoint and my beemer, my parents beemer and my old lexus have all been keyed in this carpark, my nonno bought a e class benz a few months ago and brought it here to show me and it also got keyed (the same day he picked it up)

I've got a 33 GTSt and drive my sisters '00 Mazda 323 as a daily. Saves a hell of a lot on fuel, rego is cheap (we split it) and its the most reliable car I've ever had! Been in the family since new, never had an issue.

Sadly she's selling it soon :( So I'll have to pick up some $1000 shitter, then buying a motorbike soon after. 3 insurances and regos would hurt, but still think its worth it!