SAU Community

Having Two Cars

Modena

I love having a few cars at my disposal, but then I don't have to pay for anything except the Skyline, so I can see your hesitation.

My missus has a Corolla for day to day, I have a company Hiace (god I love vans, I don't see the appeal of utes!) and the skyline remains an occasional toy.

The skyline's been getting re-sprayed for a good 2 months, and I just don't care. The van moves stuff when I need it to (which is great when moving house in the rain watching all those poor bastards with utes full of furniture and a tarp wrapped around it!)

and the Corolla is any other time.

My brother lives with us too and I really need a photo of all the cars lined up with the caption "combo breaker".

A white Toyota Hilux, a white Toyota Corolla, a white Toyota Hiace, black Nissan Skyline. Spot the odd one out.

^ ^ ^ yep similar from a family perspective David.

wife's beemer is the cruiser

forester is the workhorse

+ the 'Line

I consider myself fortunate (albeit arranged that way), that they all corner very well.

I've had 2 cars for the last couple of years now, '98 lancer as the daily and then the 33 as the weekender... when I first bought it I did the math and worked out that after the initial purchase outlay, the car would pretty much cost me $0 each year to keep on the road - the savings in fuel, the less frequent servicing costs, plus the discounted insurance on the 33 for 'limited use', pretty much covered the rego and insurance on the lancer.

As many have mentioned, it's great not *having* to get it back on the road before work in the morning if it comes to that... prior to getting the daily, there was more than one occasion where I was out in the garage putting things back together at stupid-o'clock in the morning so that it was ready to drive to work the next day.

Unfortunately, as I'm trying to save up to buy my first house, I'm trying to sell the lancer off... in theory I'll be in pretty much the same position financially each year, but I'll have whatever I get for it in the bank as savings.

Having 2 cars for me is a must. I also have a 99 Statesman. As much as I dont like it, my wife doesn't drive and she hates "what the skyline has become" but likes the statesman.

Keeping up with 2 rounds of rego and 2 rounds of insurance is difficult. ($960 due right now actually for the skyline on Shannons "drive part time").

That being said. I couldn't drive the Skyline everyday it hasn't been modified that way not to mention I am nervous as it is driving it once a week that I will get pulled up and not getting any lubicant :mellow:

If you leave the car fairly standard then they are a great enjoyable daily. Once you start getting it to a more track intended level then it'll probably start getting more and more frustrating.

Luke

I love having a few cars at my disposal, but then I don't have to pay for anything except the Skyline, so I can see your hesitation.

My missus has a Corolla for day to day, I have a company Hiace (god I love vans, I don't see the appeal of utes!) and the skyline remains an occasional toy.

The skyline's been getting re-sprayed for a good 2 months, and I just don't care. The van moves stuff when I need it to (which is great when moving house in the rain watching all those poor bastards with utes full of furniture and a tarp wrapped around it!)

and the Corolla is any other time.

My brother lives with us too and I really need a photo of all the cars lined up with the caption "combo breaker".

A white Toyota Hilux, a white Toyota Corolla, a white Toyota Hiace, black Nissan Skyline. Spot the odd one out.

The appeal is that real men drive utes, havent you seen the bumper stickers. :nyaanyaa:

I love having a daily and leaving the GTR for weekend use. There have been times where I had to use the GTR as a daily and hated it, leaving it out in bad weather / shopping centres, putting unenjoyable kms on the GTR :( .

One of the real benefits I like of having a normal daily driver.... when I hop into the GTR on the weekend or the odd weeknight, it feels special and it really does feel like an animal compared to my daily magna. Using the GTR as a daily I became used to the power, didn't feel as special and kind of lost the enjoyment from it (not too much though!).

I love having a daily and leaving the GTR for weekend use. There have been times where I had to use the GTR as a daily and hated it, leaving it out in bad weather / shopping centres, putting unenjoyable kms on the GTR :( .

One of the real benefits I like of having a normal daily driver.... when I hop into the GTR on the weekend or the odd weeknight, it feels special and it really does feel like an animal compared to my daily magna. Using the GTR as a daily I became used to the power, didn't feel as special and kind of lost the enjoyment from it (not too much though!).

This is very true... after driving the Lancer all week, the Skyline feels much quicker and more fun... When I was using it as a daily, you get used to the power, handling, response, etc and it looses a little bit of the 'fun' aspect (only a little though :D)

Ive got my berlina as a daily

323 - wifes car

mx5 - track/weekend

trailer

single garage so mx5 lives i there, trailer on front lawn and 323 and berlina live on driveway

bought on central coast hence why we can afford that, if it were sydney we'll be in a unit with no life!

I dunno. 2 cars are ok but I don't know when to stop. currently have:

S13 silvia (SR20, pretty modified, GTR brakes etc, 240kw)

R32 GTR (very modified, Jun 2.7, 2530s, motec, F50 brakes, cage etc etc etc)

R32 GTR (not big power but also heavily modified cage etc)

Evo 6 RS (genuine RS, so front rear and centre LSDs, super close ratio box, fair few mods too)

Big stupid Altas truck (stock, great for my mates to bludge off me when they need to move stuff)

Subaru Libery 08 model (the daily car, GF drives it to work)

2 motor bikes (fireblade which I ride to work and a scooter which the GF rides)

right now I dunno what to do. I'm ready to sell the liberty and replace with a new daily. I want to sell one of the GTRs but I like them both for different reasons. I want to sell the truck but have never sold a truck before (much less an imported truck) and have NFI where or how, The evo is up for sale and I think I want to sell the S13 but don't want to as it's a great little drifter/track car and the only proper RWD car out of the lot of them.

cars are great. too many cars can bring the party down a bit. just keeping the batteries running in them all is a challenge. let alone all the rego, insurance etc.

I dunno. 2 cars are ok but I don't know when to stop. currently have:

S13 silvia (SR20, pretty modified, GTR brakes etc, 240kw)

R32 GTR (very modified, Jun 2.7, 2530s, motec, F50 brakes, cage etc etc etc)

R32 GTR (not big power but also heavily modified cage etc)

Evo 6 RS (genuine RS, so front rear and centre LSDs, super close ratio box, fair few mods too)

Big stupid Altas truck (stock, great for my mates to bludge off me when they need to move stuff)

Subaru Libery 08 model (the daily car, GF drives it to work)

2 motor bikes (fireblade which I ride to work and a scooter which the GF rides)

right now I dunno what to do. I'm ready to sell the liberty and replace with a new daily. I want to sell one of the GTRs but I like them both for different reasons. I want to sell the truck but have never sold a truck before (much less an imported truck) and have NFI where or how, The evo is up for sale and I think I want to sell the S13 but don't want to as it's a great little drifter/track car and the only proper RWD car out of the lot of them.

cars are great. too many cars can bring the party down a bit. just keeping the batteries running in them all is a challenge. let alone all the rego, insurance etc.

Damn, that's alot of cars you got there, mate. :P

I only have 3 at the moment, V35, Dualis and a Mirage.

^ ^ ^ yep similar from a family perspective David.

wife's beemer is the cruiser

forester is the workhorse

+ the 'Line

I consider myself fortunate (albeit arranged that way), that they all corner very well.

similar thinking to what you have tez.

I used to have:

1) 32 gtr as a road - weekender

2) 2004 maxima as the missus' cruiser

3) and the gq patrol as the daily / off roader

when the circumstances are right and I stop spending on the gq I'll go back to that combo. maybe change the maxima to a forester xt luxury or premium

Edited by jaxt

^ ^ ^

The '06-'07 XT Foz or WRX have a fault with it tho' Paul and it tends to happen on 20% of these turbo versions.

An air pump seal can let in moisture that corrodes cylinders 1 & 2 > fault codes 1410 & 2432.

Damn expensive to fix too, if it happens to mine >_<

And this Foz is the quickest ever (in stock form).

if you live in victoria, having two cars is a great idea if you can afford it. you are treated like a criminal for driving a modified vehicle in victoria so driving it to and from work only increases the chances of defects. it's not like driving in peak hour is fun in any car.

I think we all agree here. Having a daily kicks ass... If you can afford it!

I'm heading back to Uni this year and would love to put my 33 away for weekends but as a Uni student can't justify the heavy insurance costs (24-year-old male dammit!) and Rego fees. So it's looking as though I'll be trying to sell it and stepping back into my old man's R31 (which was my first car and is manual so it's not all bad news!)

Spot on Peter, the stories hear of people having hastles with imports. My GTR is mildly worked and I couldn't drive it day to day, but i have to drive around the city a bit so multi level carparks are a pain.

So she sits in the garage for the weekend blasts and the Goft GTi gets the daily chores. Have to say though, I love driving the Golf so... much, they're amazing, Misses has a Polo GTI and the GSXR is for the track. But when you have two cars, the drive in the GTR is an absolute event. The Howl, the pops and crackles, the insane punch out of corners..... Gee they're brilliant!

So when it's being worked on, you don't have to rush to get it back together for the next day, and you don't have to leave it anywhere you don't want. My biggest problem is when I get a nice day, do i take the Bike or the GTR.

Go for it if you can manage it comfortably. As much as I love it, I wouldn't put myself into debt to do it.

^ ^ ^

The '06-'07 XT Foz or WRX have a fault with it tho' Paul and it tends to happen on 20% of these turbo versions.

An air pump seal can let in moisture that corrodes cylinders 1 & 2 > fault codes 1410 & 2432.

Damn expensive to fix too, if it happens to mine pinch.gif

And this Foz is the quickest ever (in stock form).

thanks tez,

I actually prefer the 04-05 models i wonder if the same issue would come up with them.

man I miss mine big time