SAU Community

R32 GTR pricing...

blx

I have been looking for a replacement for the WRX. While i have my heart set on a certain R33 GTS-t I couldn't resist the urge to price R32/R33 GTR's.

Every where i seem to look, R32 GTR's are $30+. When i look at importers like J SPEC they have them for $15000 and even $13000 landed in Australia, all you have to do is comply which they say should cost between $800-$1300. The $13000 one had slight rear panel damage but apart from that there is nothing wrong with them.

My question is simply why are the ones in Australia so grossly overpriced compared to what you can get straight from Japan. I am a great believer in looking/driving a car before buying BUT i also understand that there is a huge differnce between $15000 to $30000. I think it would deffinately be worth the risk.

The only thing holding me back is the 10-12 weeks you have to wait after a auction purchase.

Any ideas on why this is so?

Cheers ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err yeah the 15 year rule is attempting to ruin values of R32's already in the country. Unfortunately those that are already over here are pretty tidy examples and can generally command that sort of pricing.

If you wish to take a risk on a 15 year rule car then go for it. However the condition ive seen most in, id stay away. Alot of them look very tired and in questionable condition. You could spend alot of cash fixing problems when it gets here.

Red17

Dare i say it, most 89 R32 GTR's have been undeniably run into the ground and tarted up to sell overseas. The car may drive fine if its close to stock but you're still going to have to pay through the nose on the little nagging things like radius rod bushes, new tyres, possibly shocks & springs as these could all be worn and need replacing. The bill for your cheap car starts adding up very quickly. Plus GTR's this old tend to suffer many problems engine-wise. Would you really hazard the chance of buying a GTR with a tired RB26 - coz rebuilds aren't cheap. Of course you can get pretty good 89 model cars (few out there) but these generally are priced from the mid 20g's upwards anyway. You might as well have bought a 93+ model one down here that you can actually see, feel, hear yourself. However, investing in a GTR will become very costly in the long run no matter what year model you go for. Even if you had the money to fix everything up why wouldn't you go a later model car anyway, surely a 93+ GTR would look more appealing than an 89 when it comes to re-sale?

I would rather import the highest quality 89 GTR money can by in as close to stock condition as possible (around $19.5k landed).

If I can find one with around 60,000kms and the interior, condition and tidiness to back it up: I could then spend the 10k I SAVE restoring that baby back to BRAND SPANKING NEW.

I'd probably have some spare change left over for some basic mods as well.

You cant tell me that that would not be better than a model a few years younger (93-94) for the same money.

I can deffinately see your points of view but does not mean i agree with them. I have heard the arguement of the cost to fix up the cars once landed and agree. What i am not sure about is how you can say that to a car you have not seen or do not know about.

GT-Rmgedon - So you are saying that 89 models would be tired engine wise, then surely the 90-93/94 would be very similar! I understand that overall there is 5 years difference but they are all at least 10 years old to start with.

As stated before i have no intention to buy one, i was just curious at the huge price difference. Personally i would go the import route, would just make sure i had a good mech check done first!

Thank you all for your imput.

After u brought a 89's GTR, When u see the car is full of problems, than u will ask urself why don't just paid more to get a late model. I would say any GTR lower than $30k will require some works to be done. No one out there will sell u a nice GTR less then 30k lol

But who says the 92-93 GTRs arnt just tarted up in japan to sell to australia aswell?

I say that 3 years difference probably doesnt make much difference to the actual car, the difference in price would be as a result of other factors.

Such as:

Not being able to see or drive the car (therefore cheaper, higher risk)

Add $3-4k for compliance for 92-93 models.

The fact that there are less r32s in aus than in japan (therefore can demand a higher price)

Hastle of importing, waiting until at least August/september to get ur car.

The gtrs that are selling for $13-17k are most probably the sh!t ones, every now and then on the mailing lists you will see one thats $20-21 for a 89 car and think "why is this cars price higher?" and realise its because the car is worth that much.

Factor in new tyres, rego, road worthy etc and the difference is not much.

I would rather import the highest quality 89 GTR money can by in as close to stock condition as possible (around $19.5k landed).

If I can find one with around 60,000kms and the interior, condition and tidiness to back it up: I could then spend the 10k I SAVE restoring that baby back to BRAND SPANKING NEW.

I'd probably have some spare change left over for some basic mods as well.

You cant tell me that that would not be better than a model a few years younger (93-94) for the same money.

I don't believe u can find one 89model with only 60000 real kms and good condition for only 19.5k landed and the car no need to do any works to it

To restore a GTR to running condition easily can cost more than 10k. Most of the 89 model now are just setting uncover in the dock waiting for import. Interior and body can easily get damage lol!! so I do think there is a big risk lor

OR u can just spend 30k to get one late model with test drive in Aus :)

To restore a GTR to running condition easily can cost more than 10k. Most of the 89 model now are just setting uncover in the dock waiting for import. Interior and body can easily get damage lol!! so I do think there is a big risk lor

Why is everyone so hell bent on the fact that there are no good 89 R32's to come out of Japan anymore? Yes i agree that damage can happen but then again it could happen to any of the thousands already in this country!

As xRHETTx said

But who says the 92-93 GTRs arnt just tarted up in japan to sell to australia aswell?

This is an extremely valid point!

R32impul - you make it sound as if there is a rule in japan stating all 89 models are to be S*#t! Why is it so hard to beleive that there are good examples out there?

RedlineGTR

i call them rust buckets unless u get lucky a good example is hard to find in that year without and work needed.

But yet add a couple of years and there are 'good' examples out there!? Is that what you are trying to say? I have seen a few excellent examples and i am sure that a year or two is not going to change them all that much.

As i have said in the previous posts i have no intetion to buy but the price gap is insane! IMHO No one has provided a real reason/excuse to why the gap is so big!

I hv few friends buying a cheap GTR R32 before and result spending a lot $$$ on restore their engine, body, interior etc. Think abt it, the only diff of 89 and late model is the compliance cost saving, so why would the japanese sell u a good condition 89 model for so cheap? just want to say "how much u pay is equal to how much u get"

Guest RedLineGTR
But yet add a couple of years and there are 'good' examples out there!? Is that what you are trying to say? I have seen a few excellent examples and i am sure that a year or two is not going to change them all that much.  

As i have said in the previous posts i have no intetion to buy but the price gap is insane! IMHO No one has provided a real reason/excuse to why the gap is so big!

yep very true...if i had the money i would try and find one to buy and work on. But i need a car that isnt so old, i have seen some beat up 89 models gtrs never said that u cant find one but i would worrie about what your actually getting, unless u see it in the flesh. Good luck with it all, if i had the money i would get one as a project car and possibly work up or restore to it original trim.

Guest RedLineGTR

Simple Terms.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Not always the case but 98% of the time it is, some people are lucky some people arnt. Ah its all good :) lolz

I don't believe u can find one 89model with only 60000 real kms and good condition for only 19.5k landed and the car no need to do any works to it

Absolute nonesense, 19.5k is an OVERESTIMATION. Your acting as though your not sure what the 15 year rule essentially does: Take exactly $5k compliancing cost off the end 'landed' price, not to mention the money you save by not having to pay to get exhausts taken off/replaced etc for compliancing. Consider that if you import a '94 model GTR, it will cost 27k landed including compliancing.. how hard it is to understand that a 89 model with the same amount of low km's will cost 3-5k less in japan, and save you 5k+ compliancing costs?

So with a 30k budget we import said 89 gtr in for 20k, and look at spending the left over amount on the following:

COSMETIC:

momo steering wheel: $300

momo gear shift: $150

interior upholstered in leather

OR full body respray: $2500

r33/r34 gtr seats: $2000

= $4,095 allowance

MECHANICAL:

- replace brakes, tyres, clutch, gearbox, fuel pump,

air filters, turbos, air pump etc as needed/required.

(dont be an idiot and think 'you cant get all that for 10

grand.. some of this stuff will have already been

replaced or still in good condition)

- new oil, new plugs etc '100,000km service'

= $5,050 allowance

If you where not concerned about the cars looks you could

replace most major mechanical parts bar the engine for $10k.

The whole basis of my point is if you only buy the 89 model

with a strong, healthy engine that has not been used much

in its life, the other aspects of the car are irrelevant because

with the money you save they can be replaced and improved.

This is so amusing. Everyone is entitled to their views. If there is slight chance that a gtr 89 can be bought under the 15 year old rule in good condition, then we all should sit back and not argue the point that it is not possible. I must admit that I havent seen any good example prior to 92-93, but that is not to say that it cannot be done. The main concern would be importing one with a f###ked motor. Those who own a gtr and have gone through a rebuild or freshen up know the big costs involved. Anyways, good luck with your purchase, keep us posted please. Just keep this in mind, a GTR is a drug addiction. You just do not know when to stop. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Have a great day people.

Well the only way we're really going to know whether the doubters are true or not is in about 5 months when they start coming in. Many who take the risk are going to be burnt. Some will get lucky and get a bargain underpriced compared to the local prices. Others won't, as I believe somebody who was already recently received there 32 who posted on here as illustrated. The signs weren't good soon as he rolled it off the ship

In my opinion 32 gtr's are getting to be more of a second "project/weekend" car. The running expenses of maintaining them are high. And if you drive them like they are meant to be driven then things will break. They can soon add up to the price of a 33. However having said that....What an awsome car :D

My 2 cents.