SAU Community

Letter From Deccw

sydking

Got a letter today for a vehicle inspection notice, says its for noise control.

Any idea to find out how i was seen in the first place ect.

The car is loud, says it has to be under 90db at 4800 revs. any way i can check at my own mechanic first at all?

Would be best bet to just switch over to stock exhaust for inspection? is there much involved, Im using the one it came from japan with.

does it say exhaust noise and emissions control systems? or just noise? DECCW always want to see that your standard emissions control systems are in place (exhaust, intake, bov, intercooler, charcoal canister).

do you have to take it to a certain place that they have listed? any chance of showing the form they sent you?

i recently had to go through the same thing.

k for deccw u need 2 have it quite and all emissions gear on, such as stock bov, stock side mount cooler, stock air box, stock turbo if u have an aftermaket one, stock computer, charcoal canister

I have been there and done it myself and got a few of mates cars ready for it is well

You did say R33 NA, right? That will half your problems right there - no BOV, intercooler or turbo to worry about!

Get another muffler fitted, get the exhaust shop to test it before you hand any money over (make sure you've let them know what you want when you leave it with them, obviously) and take it for the inspection or whatever they've asked you to do.

dont bother with the extra muffler. ive got a way to get it to pass. my exhaust went from 96db (completely stock exhaust) to 82db with my little 'mod'. PM me and i'll guide you through it or even give you my one.

also make sure you have a standard cat and DONT go to the guy in granville. ive heard lots of crappy stories about what he thinks a stock cat is. the guy in campbelltown actually knows what hes doing and isnt after your $.

does it say exhaust noise and emissions control systems? or just noise? DECCW always want to see that your standard emissions control systems are in place (exhaust, intake, bov, intercooler, charcoal canister).

do you have to take it to a certain place that they have listed? any chance of showing the form they sent you?

i recently had to go through the same thing.

Car is NA and the only mod is the Exhaust. its got a Cat, and a new muffler, still quite loud tho. Not testing for emissions, Just has to be under 90DB at 4800 RPM.

Yes i have a listed place their approved workshops. il gets some pics of the form up asap.

slot a baffle into the joint where the cat back is. Enjoy the lack of power and quietness...

They have an "Anti Tempering" section to pass by the looks of it, A baffle in the joint sounds a bit dicey. care to explain?

they dont check for those things mate, you can easily hide it. they dont take your exhaust apart to check.

the pics i sent you in the PM explain what to do. just dont tell them what you did.

you also need a STANDARD cat. it can not be aftermarket. the exhaust can be any brand you like as long as it passes the noise test.

thats just what they ask for when you do the inspection.

you can go to the inspection with whatever gear you want. but you will be sent a defective vehicle notice if it doesnt meet their requirements (all stock items fitted). but when you receive the defective vehicle notice you can go to the IM240 test and pass that with whatever gear you want fitted.

They have an "Anti Tempering" section to pass by the looks of it, A baffle in the joint sounds a bit dicey. care to explain?

Get a peice of metal, cut it out the same shape as the flange at the cat end of the catback. Then drill holes in the middle that mean you have effectively blocked half your exhaust. This means you have bad flow, hence bad power and bad flow in the form of a restriction which leads to big drops in noise :)

Very very cheap nasty way of solving the problem.

thats just what they ask for when you do the inspection.

you can go to the inspection with whatever gear you want. but you will be sent a defective vehicle notice if it doesnt meet their requirements (all stock items fitted). but when you receive the defective vehicle notice you can go to the IM240 test and pass that with whatever gear you want fitted.

And that is it? Car passed?

Get a peice of metal, cut it out the same shape as the flange at the cat end of the catback. Then drill holes in the middle that mean you have effectively blocked half your exhaust. This means you have bad flow, hence bad power and bad flow in the form of a restriction which leads to big drops in noise :)

Very very cheap nasty way of solving the problem.

Thats my best bet at the moment, going in the the local exhaust shop for a noise test. $30. Will have a chat to him about the making up the metal piece behind the flange.

Cheers. il let you all know how i go.

Ive been DECC 3 times already for "noise" pollution and all 3 times have gone to that "granville guy" and passed. Its not difficult, trust me on this one.

lol why would you go through the trouble of fabricating pieces thats going to take you a couple of hours to make and fit when you can just go borrow a standard exhaust and slap the thing on in 30 mins. Much easier, simpler and a GUARANTEED pass. Its a N/A car after all.