SAU Community

Getting Traction In A 273Rwkw R34 Gtt

Anyone else have a similar experience to this?

273rwkw (299 on E50): Stock shocks, slightly lowered King Springs, adjustable camber arms with camber set to nigh on 0, pineapple bushes set to maximum traction and $600ea Yoko Advan Neova 08 semi slicks in 255 only running 22psi pressure and STILL can't put my foot down past half way in 1st or 3/4 in second.

Car still certainly moves and is an awesome amount of fun while it hunts for traction but sometimes you just want it to hook up.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

My money is on 1. Gear based boost; 2. Hooking up the ABS signal into my Haltech with the new software and using torque reduction as traction control or 3. getting even wider rear tyres (what are the widest you can fit on this sucker?).

(and yes, I should have bought a GTR)

:happy:

Edited by gwilkinson34

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else have a similar experience to this?

273rwkw (299 on E50): Stock shocks, slightly lowered King Springs, adjustable camber arms with camber set to nigh on 0, pineapple bushes set to maximum traction and $600ea Yoko Advan Neova 08 semi slicks in 255 only running 22psi pressure and STILL can't put my foot down past half way in 1st or 3/4 in second.

Car still certainly moves and is an awesome amount of fun while it hunts for traction but sometimes you just want it to hook up.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

My money is on 1. Gear based boost; 2. Hooking up the ABS signal into my Haltech with the new software and using torque reduction as traction control or 3. getting even wider rear tyres (what are the widest you can fit on this sucker?).

(and yes, I should have bought a GTR)

:happy:

there's ya problem

They say that for the drags, because its true. Thats also using 16" wheels with proper drag radials/semi's.

Why are you only running 22psi in circuit semi comps?

You cannot do that. AD08's are not drag radials. Running incorrect pressure will destroy them

Why do people always claim that stock shocks are best for traction then...? :unsure:

You suggest coilovers?

I would suggest that stock shocks and stock springs would be good for traction. Lowered king springs will mean the stock shocks cant control the lowered stiffer springs very well.

I have bilstein shocks all round with king springs and 279rwkw in a 34 GTT and on a good road surface in the dry I get no wheelspin in 2nd with KU36 tyres (your tyres are better). This is obviously not dropping the clutch in 2nd etc.

As Ash said I would pump those tyres up. I run my KU36s on between 36-38psi. I tried down to 30psi but there was no gain in grip for me.

Does the rear squat when you launch? I am guessing not because the king springs would stop it meaning you get no squat and the shocks cant control the springs, worst of both worlds.

I have stock shocks with lowered RSR springs... engine setup is still incomplete but i would estimate around ~250rwkw atm

I have 265/35 Nitto NT05s and when they are warm i can floor 1st and 2nd with zero wheelspin

So perhaps the suspension may not be your issue ..

They say that for the drags, because its true. Thats also using 16" wheels with proper drag radials/semi's.

Why are you only running 22psi in circuit semi comps?

You cannot do that. AD08's are not drag radials. Running incorrect pressure will destroy them

Yeah I just tried dropping them down last night as the suspension guy suggested playing with tyre pressures might help... didn't make a difference so yes I will be putting them back up.

Yeah I just tried dropping them down last night as the suspension guy suggested playing with tyre pressures might help... didn't make a difference so yes I will be putting them back up.

Well never go back to that "suspension" guy, he clearly has no idea.

Thats such basic stuff as well.

This guy was highly recommended by Simon at Morpowa (whom I trust)... surprising.

I've heard a lot of people say that running lower pressures will improve traction... perhaps a common myth?

So basically the next thing (suspension wise) is to try coilovers?

Any other suggestions?

I think its a tyre thing then if you cant get em up to temp. Get some KU36s or Falken RT615s they heat up very easily. The only problem with them is supposedly after 4-5 laps they can get too hot but I think they are perfect for the street. Even with normal driving they are pretty close, then a bit more throttle and they are sticky. You can feel it on a launch they might spin a bit then they hook up.

Otherwise you want to get traction with cold tyres??

When the car was on the dyno for an E50 tune, after a few runs the things were like glue. But even spinning them like mad all the way to work (10kms) when i get there they certainly ain't sticky... they cost me $600 a pop and i spent AGES researching and heard rave reviews but perhaps they were more track oriented...? :ermm:

If your getting traction once the tyres warm up then it might be worth trying some different tyres that will work when cold. I've got 265KW and use federal 595SS and they hold traction really well, well in the dry anyway. i've put some different tyres on the back before and it was nothing but wheelspin. Other than that you could run less boost or get a tuner to adjust the tune so you get more traction in the top end which sounds lame (less power) but it will work out to be quicker than wheelspin.