SAU Community

Octane Booster

Modena

Hi all,

Would it be OK to fill up the R34 GTT with 91 RON petrol and then treat it with Nylon Pro octane booster?

From the reviews Ive read, Nylon Pro is the bets one out there and raises the octane rating past 98 PULP.

Its just I can get access to 91 petrol but not 98... atm.

Hi all,

Would it be OK to fill up the R34 GTT with 91 RON petrol and then treat it with Nylon Pro octane booster?

From the reviews Ive read, Nylon Pro is the bets one out there and raises the octane rating past 98 PULP.

Its just I can get access to 91 petrol but not 98... atm.

If that's all you can get where you are atm, then it'd be best to do just that.

Whatever your mean average RON is, sitting in your tank atm, the octane booster is only going to shift it up marginally.

You'll get a better result with toluene (ie methylbenzene), depending on what amount you put in; but through regular skin contact and inhalation, it's carcinogenic.

if you got 98pulp in your tank and you drop in octane boost

how much more would it raise the pulp?

105pulp?

Doesn't quite work like that mate. As in theory adding more octane booster again would give you 111RON, then 118RON. Until you ended up with 300RON super fuel to run an engine with 37:1 compression...... laugh.gif

Running Octane booster in general is a bad idea.

A once off is ok for emergencies... But then you can just stay off boost/light throttle and you'd be fine.

If you keep using it you'll run the chance of fouling plugs after a few tanks, and that'll make it just 10x worse over time than using proper fuel :)

a mate of mine was a mechanic for repco a few years ago (the local repco store had a workshop on the side of it) and one day the nulon rep came through and had an octane test kit with him. my mate grabbed some BP ultimate out of his car and they ran a few tests. first they tested the fuel by itself. it was 98 octane (as you wuold expect). next they put in the standard measure of the pro strength octane booster (i think. this was about 5 years ago now so the memory is a bit dodgy). pretty sure this put it up to about 103 octane. then they put in double the normal dosage. the octane rating actually dropped back down to around 99 octane.

Doesn't quite work like that mate. As in theory adding more octane booster again would give you 111RON, then 118RON. Until you ended up with 300RON super fuel to run an engine with 37:1 compression...... laugh.gif

ahhh ok cheers just an idea i had

just run it on 91, unless you have an aftermarket ecu tuned for 98 it wont be a problem. with a stock ecu your better off with 91 than 98 anyway.

if you use octane boost make sure you have plenty of cash for spark plugs, you'll be changing them every 2nd tank. not to mention o2 sensors and other shit like that

just run it on 91, unless you have an aftermarket ecu tuned for 98 it wont be a problem. with a stock ecu your better off with 91 than 98 anyway.

if you use octane boost make sure you have plenty of cash for spark plugs, you'll be changing them every 2nd tank. not to mention o2 sensors and other shit like that

are you missing that he said it was for a GTT, or are you taking the piss? the stock turbo ecu is tuned for minimum 95 octane fuel. running it on 91 octane will result in a loss of power, or if the knock sensors aren't working correctly a damaged motor. 95 or 98 octane will result it more power and safer knock levels.

are you missing that he said it was for a GTT, or are you taking the piss? the stock turbo ecu is tuned for minimum 95 octane fuel. running it on 91 octane will result in a loss of power, or if the knock sensors aren't working correctly a damaged motor. 95 or 98 octane will result it more power and safer knock levels.

+1

Most people know that Australian 91RON unleaded is basically served as shots in Japanese bars... Our fuel sucks. Thus, imports not originally made for the Australian market should be run on 95 or better...