SAU Community

What Have You Done To Your Stagea Lately?

Hanso

Driving to work this morning, the heater isn't working. Just blowing cold air all morning. Temps were normal, didn't think too much about it. Just turned the climate control on and off a few times, didn't seem to do anything.

Then closer to work, temp is creeping up. Higher than normal but nothing ridiculous. Of course before long it's just below the H, I pull over and it's steaming.

Thing is, I reckon it's been cracked for a while. When I picked it up from the Toll depot there was a bit of coolant around the place, but the car never seemed to be complaining so I figured it was a previous coolant splash that had never been washed off. If this wasn't the case, then I've most likely been driving it around like normal, leaking the coolant slowly (the TransportSA inspection guys didn't say anything either), to the point where it's empty.

So yeah that's how my hour and a half commute to work was today. How hard is it to find radiators for these things?

Driving to work this morning, the heater isn't working. Just blowing cold air all morning. Temps were normal, didn't think too much about it. Just turned the climate control on and off a few times, didn't seem to do anything.

Then closer to work, temp is creeping up. Higher than normal but nothing ridiculous. Of course before long it's just below the H, I pull over and it's steaming.

Thing is, I reckon it's been cracked for a while. When I picked it up from the Toll depot there was a bit of coolant around the place, but the car never seemed to be complaining so I figured it was a previous coolant splash that had never been washed off. If this wasn't the case, then I've most likely been driving it around like normal, leaking the coolant slowly (the TransportSA inspection guys didn't say anything either), to the point where it's empty.

So yeah that's how my hour and a half commute to work was today. How hard is it to find radiators for these things?

Sorry to hear that. Seems like the previous owner hid the issue pretty well...or did the issue not manifest it self till now?

i replaced my rad a few months back.

I got a new replacemnt unit from natrad, was around $650 not installed. At the time he said there was 2 left in oz on there stock list.

Are you sure the radiator is cracked? The water only has to be half a litre short to show these kind of overheating issues, even 200ml will cause problems.

Can't say I'm 100% sure. Any way to test without one of those pressure things?

Just so you know the V35 manual one fit's in with a little bit of cutting......I had one in mine....I lent it to someone about 6 months ago for a couple of weeks. :P

When I do get it back it will be for sale.

Can't say I'm 100% sure. Any way to test without one of those pressure things?

Usually the Oring goes on the top tank. It may hold pressure fine until its hot. These can be replaced.

I would just fill the system from the rear bleeder, behind the drivers side head, and check it a few times to make sure its full. If it still leaks there is a problem.

The coolant can spurt out the top of the overflow container if it gets full which could be your spray in the engine bay.

They also had to fit a radiator to mine prior to compliance as it had a split tank, so it must be common?

Usually the Oring goes on the top tank. It may hold pressure fine until its hot. These can be replaced.

I would just fill the system from the rear bleeder, behind the drivers side head, and check it a few times to make sure its full. If it still leaks there is a problem.

The coolant can spurt out the top of the overflow container if it gets full which could be your spray in the engine bay.

You reckon fill it up and give it a few more days to see how it goes?

Where is this Oring? I need to get FAST sorted out so I can look at the diagrams...

You reckon fill it up and give it a few more days to see how it goes?

Where is this Oring? I need to get FAST sorted out so I can look at the diagrams...

Yep, I have had the overheating thing so many times, I just fill at the rear bleed and it goes away. That said, if it is leaking you should keep a few litres of water in the back just in case.

They also had to fit a radiator to mine prior to compliance as it had a split tank, so it must be common?

If the top tank is cracked you will definitely know about it. The Oring seals the whole underside of the top tank and usually only weeps when warm, sometimes it sprays out from one side.