SAU Community

What Have You Done To Your Stagea Lately?

Hanso

lol how can you forget that??

ohh yeah, when you remove the white door, dont break the tab off the end of it. i did with mine. lucky i had a spare :P

I did exactly the same thing...

Took my brilliant looking (but not functioning correctly) air intake off today. The BOV return pipe had a lot of oil in it. I reckon I needed a catch can bucket on it LOL.

When I got the bottom section out, there was oil pooling in there, and in the turbo housing also. So I start thinking that maybe the fuel smoke was partly/mostly oil smoke & my turbo is on it's way out. Bugger, I am quite attached to the factory turbo & didn't really want to be pulling it off & rebuilding.:(

Anyway, I put the factory intake back in & restored all my tuning adjustments so everything was normal & went for a short drive. Surprisingly there was no smoke (that I could see, & it was hard to miss before), so what the hell is that all about?

I checked the BOV return & there appears to be less oil (i.e what was there is disappearing) but I won't know for sure until I'm driven it a lot more. I checked the oil level & it was low, so the oil was certainly being consumed (or just filling up my intake/cooler/throttle body etc) & it's only been 3250km since the last change - but that was over 6 months ago. Note to self - "drive car more". lol

Q. Why was there oil in my intake/BOV return with the bigger air intake? Is it still a sign of impending turbo failure? BTW, it's not making weird noises or anything that would normally indicate this to be the case, and it's still running stock boost.

The only thing I can think of (in my end of work tired induced state) is the different tubing is actually pulling oil in through your PCV?

That's not a bad guess actually. However, that's one thing I can rule out because I installed a catch can on the PCV line & it has clear tubing. There wasn't even a smear of oil in that.

What if there was sufficient extra airflow to push 10yrs worth of oil build up in the i/cooler up to where it shot back out the BOV? Mmm, but that wouldn't explain the engine oil consumption... (also my end of week, tired mind throwing an idea around).

Clean your intercooler out, or buy a new one from Cam, and see if the issue continues?

Ive got nothing, although i know there was somewhere other than the pcv that a catch can is recommended for...

There may have been oil pooling in the stock breather hose at the head end which ran down when you plumbed it in? My catch can usually has bugger all oil in it, just condensation.

Don't give up on the intake will you mate, just try again. I made a few before I worked it out. Cheap tig and some stainless? :yes:

Clean your intercooler out, or buy a new one from Cam, and see if the issue continues?

Ive got nothing, although i know there was somewhere other than the pcv that a catch can is recommended for...

I have both on mine, neither build up much but the intakes are noticeably cleaner. I still get a little oil in the intake even with SS wool stuffed in the can.

The hassle with a catch can is having to drain all the water out, probably not an issue in warmer climates.

There may have been oil pooling in the stock breather hose at the head end which ran down when you plumbed it in? My catch can usually has bugger all oil in it, just condensation.

Don't give up on the intake will you mate, just try again. I made a few before I worked it out. Cheap tig and some stainless? :yes:

Nah, won't give up that easily, but I didn't get any noticeable gain from the intake anyway, not that I was expecting much. I don't have enough other mods to have really benefitted from it yet.

At this stage I was just hoping it would be more efficient & therefore have some fuel consumption gains, but wasn't in long enough (nor working properly) to tell. Now I'm pleased it looks like the turbo has some more life in it. :happy: . Job for another day I think.

Few new things

New Oil

New Oil Filter

New Transmission Oil

Transgo Shift Kit

Suction Pipe

E Manage wired in

Boost Controller in

Transmission cooler & injectors to go in next weekend and then to the Dyno! :thumbsup:

Where are the pics of the Suction pipe?

Are you hitting Boost cut now with the new suction pipe?

Had 4 wheel balance, rotate and wheel alignment yesterday.

Left at 7am to drive to Albury from Sydney only to find at 110kp/h when turning left had a big vibration in the steering.... very odd. (no vibration when driving straight or turning right)

Wheel nuts checked, so not really sure what is going on. Had to turn back to home and swap cars for the trip.

Will go back to the tyre shop and get them to check the front right tire and alignment for any irregularity. If that shows nothing I am thing new wheel bearing for the front as they have done 148k.. Hope I can work this out quick. :blink:

Few new things

New Oil

New Oil Filter

New Transmission Oil

Transgo Shift Kit

Suction Pipe

E Manage wired in

Boost Controller in

Transmission cooler & injectors to go in next weekend and then to the Dyno! :thumbsup:

Nice, wheres the pics?

Who's doing the tune? :thumbsup:

Did my oil+filter change today

And gave the car a polish, ready to the vic cruise

last weekend i finally got round to put on the Whiteline swaybars i got back in the group buy

Sensational Improvment - far exceeding my expectations, banana.gif

would have done it a lot sooner if i knew there was that much difference