SAU Community

What Have You Done To Your Stagea Lately?

Hanso

depends on how much??

fixed the knock in the rear suspension, turns out the locking ring hadnt been done up and the strut was slowly unscrewing itself. problem solved! also reset the rear height, gave the springs some preload, so much better now. gotta do the fronts next.

i think the front knock is actually a groan and its the new poly bushes are not greased up enough :(

Good that you found the problem!:thumbsup:

How did you preload the rear springs Iain?

My understanding is that you can only preload if the damper is topped out (at full extension). In our case all you'd be doing is increasing your ride height.

Preloading springs is more of a motorbike thing due to the fact that at rest, with no rider (on a sports bike at least) the suspension is basically at the top of it's stroke (topped out), whereas in a car the suspension sits down an inch or more (at least) when at rest.

well, there is a height adjustment on the strut, so i measured the length of the thread to the ring 'flange'. this pulled the entire wheel assembly up as its shortened the length of the strut. then i screwed the 'height' adjustment of the spring land till it was captive (originally they werent) and then a little more. i measured both sides and they are even now.

the front i didnt touch as i couldnt move one of the rings for the spring land. ill attack it later and preload a little more.

well, there is a height adjustment on the strut, so i measured the length of the thread to the ring 'flange'. this pulled the entire wheel assembly up as its shortened the length of the strut. then i screwed the 'height' adjustment of the spring land till it was captive (originally they werent) and then a little more. i measured both sides and they are even now.

the front i didnt touch as i couldnt move one of the rings for the spring land. ill attack it later and preload a little more.

dont wanna be a pain, but do you reckon you could take pictures?

Did the brake wire mod and installed a switch in the top of my glovebox. I did this not because I stall it up and launch it all the time, but because I live in the hills and drive on windy roads every day. Was quite skeptical about how much difference it would make as my car only has an exhaust, but went for a drive last night and was extremely suprised at the difference out of corners :rofl2: . Thanks to all that put the effort in to working the mod out :thumbsup: .

Edited by MOUTH

Did the brake wire mod and installed a switch in the top of my glovebox. I did this not because I stall it up and launch it all the time, but because I live in the hills and drive on windy roads every day. Was quite skeptical about how much difference it would make as my car only has an exhaust, but went for a drive last night and was extremely suprised at the difference out of corners :rofl2: . Thanks to all that put the effort in to working the mod out :thumbsup: .

glad your happy with it. who needs the nismo ecu now :nyaanyaa:

because the stock ECU doesnt advance the cams like the nismo :P

Do the Mines/Impul/Gzone remaps play with the cams? I'd assume they do, but from memory the associated websites for them are all extremely vauge on what they actually 'do' :closedeyes:

because the stock ECU doesnt advance the cams like the nismo :P

lol low end cams? i dont know if Im wrong but I think scotts vmanage showed that the cams are retard down low.

of what part?

and no, not till next weekend lol

whenever your free to do it man, a write up how to stiffen pre load would be good.

Ok, I get you; I already run my shocks as short as they can go to minimise the amount of "droop" available as the shock extends.

Thing is, on mine, at the height I run, the spring is barely captive. Increasing the "preload" wouldn't make a difference on mine. Perhaps my springs are slightly shorter than yours?

thats entirely possibly about the spring length. but i think they are all the same.

the back is now firm, it was a little sloppy before. looking at it when i got home, i think it can go down maybe 1cm further at the rear. the boot was full of my tools so i couldnt throw it around too much.

the front will need to come down, or maybe just preload the springs more

Don't you want some droop? It forces the wheels to maintain contact with the road when you go over a bump. Having too much droop is bad as this will force the car to raise when cornering too much (dependant on spring rates/shock rates etc.)

there is plenty of travel in the shock! but its not as much as the factory suspension.

with the coilovers in, i dont get all that much movement all round anyway :P

I believe I'm expecting a photo of my Stagea in the mail from my good friends at SAPOL. >_<

Oops? Did you see the flash? Our speedos are notoriously overzealous