SAU Community

What Have You Done To Your Stagea Lately?

Hanso

Nope, same as any other VQ. Not sure if anyone in Adelaide stocks them, I ordered mine online. Apparently Autobarn have the Blitz filters with the magnets though.

Craig, this is the tin?

NEO%20RPS10w40.jpg

$98 for 5L from GCCorp.com.au

So I finished fitting the intercooler today. Only thing is I've now got a bit of white smoke. Not sure if it's burning off the excess WD40 I used on the silicon joiners or what, but hopefully it goes away after a bit of a drive.

I had the same thing when I fitted my intake suction pipe (more than a bit of smoke too) which I was convinced was the oil blowing out of the standard intercooler. It only happened after a boost event & only after lifting off. I swapped the factory intake back & the smoke went away, thus proving my point.

Except....

When I put the HDI cooler in last week & reinstalled the suction pipe, there was the smoke again (Dale was still coughing some out of his lungs over lunch last Sunday) under the same conditions. It seems to be getting slightly less the more I drive, but I now think what I am seeing is more to do with oil getting sucked into the plenum from the PCV, not left over oil from the old 'cooler still being in the throttle body/plenum.

I'm getting a catch can for that hose & maybe replacing the PCV valve if excessive oil is captured.

Maybe you could look into the same solution?

Edited by Commsman

One step ahead of you Leon! :thumbsup:

Catch can is sitting in my boot ready to install, hopefully on the weekend. Just need to make up a bracket.

Couldn't believe the amount of blowback when we pulled it apart for a spark plug change.

I had the same thing when I fitted my intake suction pipe (more than a bit of smoke too) which I was convinced was the oil blowing out of the standard intercooler. It only happened after a boost event & only after lifting off. I swapped the factory intake back & the smoke went away, thus proving my point.

Except....

When I put the HDI cooler in last week & reinstalled the suction pipe, there was the smoke again (Dale was still coughing some out of his lungs over lunch last Sunday) under the same conditions. It seems to be getting slightly less the more I drive, but I now think what I am seeing is more to do with oil getting sucked into the plenum from the PCV, not left over oil from the old 'cooler still being in the throttle body/plenum.

I'm getting a catch can for that hose & maybe replacing the PCV valve if excessive oil is captured.

Maybe you could look into the same solution?

Lol, I was sure I could hear you two shouting "Release cloaking device!" before disappearing into a cloud of smoke...

and then reappearing 30 metres further down the road....nyaanyaa.gif

One step ahead of you Leon! :thumbsup:

Catch can is sitting in my boot ready to install, hopefully on the weekend. Just need to make up a bracket.

Couldn't believe the amount of blowback when we pulled it apart for a spark plug change.

Our engines seem a bit sensitive to this for some reason. I'm wondering if our PCV valves are stuffed.

I have a catch can on the other (suction pipe) side & there's not a drop (or even a smear) in the clear plastic hose, let alone the can itself. If the amount of smoke I've been seeing when driven hard is an indication, I may need to empty the PCV one weekly, lol.

Lol, I was sure I could hear you two shouting "Release cloaking device!" before disappearing into a cloud of smoke...

and then reappearing 30 metres further down the road....nyaanyaa.gif

Haha. I was doing my Bond impression. In actual fact, I was trying sooo hard to keep off boost because I knew what would happen if I gave it a little bit.

On the way to/from Sydney I was imagining what people were saying when I passed them, just to cover them in a cloud of white smoke when I lifted off. "Look at the POS wagon...." So embarassing

Haha. I was doing my Bond impression. In actual fact, I was trying sooo hard to keep off boost because I knew what would happen if I gave it a little bit.

On the way to/from Sydney I was imagining what people were saying when I passed them, just to cover them in a cloud of white smoke when I lifted off. "Look at the POS wagon...." So embarassing

laughing-smiley-014.giflaughing-smiley-014.giflaughing-smiley-014.gif

Brief offtopic; you guys had a good run back to the F3 from Wisemans? Good to meet you and your young bloke too.

Brief offtopic; you guys had a good run back to the F3 from Wisemans? Good to meet you and your young bloke too.

Interesting story. It took us 45 minutes from leaving the ferry till we got onto the freeway. Considering it was all 60, 70 & 80 zones (& double demerit weekend), wet & unknown roads (is that enough excuses?), I thought we made good time without taking too many risks. We overtook a Commonwhore who then proceeded to chase us down on the next 2 straights (cornering pace was pretty average) before giving up. However Craig reckons it was too slow but, as Tina says, we don't need another hero, lol.

And it was good to meet you too.

Edited by Commsman

Commonwhore knuckle draggrers hey, when will they learn?

Interesting story. It took us 45 minutes from leaving the ferry till we got onto the freeway. Considering it was all 60, 70 & 80 zones (& double demerit weekend), wet & unknown roads (is that enough excuses?), I thought we made good time without taking too many risks. We overtook a Commonwhore who then proceeded to chase us down on the next 2 straights (cornering pace was pretty average) before giving up. However Craig reckons it was too slow but, as Tina says, we don't need another hero, lol.

And it was good to meet you too.

Had exhaust fitted today. JJR front pipes, catco highflow cat, custom made mandrel bent 3" piping with 'hotdog' style resonator in there somewhere. Oval powerflow performance muffler and twin chrome twin tips to keep stock look. Xforce dump pipes, Denso 720cc injectors, nismo fuel pressure regulator, walbro 255l fuel pump, power fc, greddy profec b 2 boost controller waiting in the shed to be fitted when nismo gt le mans group a turbos get here and aluminium radiator and new silicon hoses on the way (found a crack in top radiator tank) :-(

Nope, same as any other VQ. Not sure if anyone in Adelaide stocks them, I ordered mine online. Apparently Autobarn have the Blitz filters with the magnets though.

Craig, this is the tin?

$98 for 5L from GCCorp.com.au

That'll be the oil Craig is referring to.

Really good stuff :)

Have you used it yet?

It'd want to be really good stuff considering the buggering around to get some!

yes, the 10w40 I have used and preferred the feel of the car to when it had Redline in it if that reference means anything for you.

yes, the 10w40 I have used and preferred the feel of the car to when it had Redline in it if that reference means anything for you.

would you really keep it in your car for 40,000km though?

Bottom end is back together, everything should be bolted up by Monday and nesstled in the engine bay by mid-next week. End next week should have my C34 back!

YaY!

Only thing to be looked at in the future would be sorting out the mirror rust and tidying up some areas of the body, as not much else would be "stock". 6yrs in the making.

However, over the next 4-5yrs, I'll be using the car minimally as I plan to get the train into the city for my up'n'coming Uni studies. I cant forsee myself spending anymore on this stagea. Perhaps the rust/re-paint and perhaps a Z32 Nistune ecu setup, but thats it.

fixed a little gutter rash on one of my wheels, and realised that the outside of the tyre is wearing more than the inside spank.gif

good work on my alignment beaurepairs, guess i'll change the tie-rod ends sooner rather than later then

No, although I am sure it could stand up to 20,000kms of daily highway travel... much like Sougi can/could :ph34r:

fair enough. still worth it at that price.

especially seing as sougi 6000 isnt readily available anymore, and comparing to the price of 300v.