SAU Community

What Have You Done To Your Stagea Lately?

Hanso

It was pretty straight forward as per the write up i got too much hose as well though.

did the initial bleed last night, bled it till no more bubbles. but decided to do it again this morning with some light!! and it was just trickling coolant out of the valve with no bubbles.

i think it will be a very good mod to have letting all the coolant flow through instead of it sitting behind that plate..

thanks mate

All good things come to those that wait, and tonight Andrew at AM Performance posted pictures on Facebook of my new intake.

post-34363-0-90270300-1354098789_thumb.jpegpost-34363-0-19941200-1354098808_thumb.jpeg

After originally thinking he'd need to make two versions, one for the airbox and one for my pod, Andrew ended up making one that suits both.

I'll be giving the whale her maiden voyage tomorrow night, and if everything goes well Andrew has a jig ready to go.

It's been a long two weeks but looking forward to driving Moby again! And not having to drive a mint green automatic Barina with pink seat covers anymore...

So, how does intake length impact performance?

More length (plus corners) would cause the air to take a few extra milliseconds to reach the turbo - that can't really be a big deal, or can it?

The reason I bring it up is that my intake would be a foot shorter....

Mate, there's no doubting it'll be sooo much better than the stock one. The question of length was simply me contemplating the universe, physics & automotive engineering (3 things I know pretty much nothing about, lol).

Interested to see how it goes Ryan, at what point along the intake is the reduction to 2.5"?

Leon, The extra length is additional volume effectively a "Plenum" area that the turbo can draw from, which doesn't hurt performance at all IMO.

I'm with you here Leon, don't know anything so relying on expert opinions! :P

Dale, Andrew has photos for me tonight so I'll be able to confirm, but apparently it steps up pretty much straight away from the turbo, but I wasn't aware the intake on the turbo was only 2.5".

Leon, The extra length is additional volume effectively a "Plenum" area that the turbo can draw from, which doesn't hurt performance at all IMO.

The old plenum in the intake trick (you have to say it like Maxwell Smart).

So if I route mine to the rear & back (8m) I'll get extra performance? See, now I'm being silly :P

So if I route mine to the rear & back (8m) I'll get extra performance? See, now I'm being silly :P

Somebody had to take it too far, didn't they?

ever tried to drink through a really long straw???? just my thoughts.......

Car is back. Couple of things to fix before the SAUSA cruise on Sunday, but I'm confident it'll be right, and I'll be able to properly test out the intake.

After driving the car out of Andrew's workshop, I left it warming up, came back to find temps up to 120! Discovered it had dropped close to 5L of coolant - which doesn't sound like just the leak at the back of the block.

Topped up and temps seem ok - about 94 idle after 5-10 mins, but remember it's been close to 40 degrees ambient in Adelaide today, and wasn't much better tonight. Seems to be bled properly now too (although I thought it was before).

As for the intake, what a work of art. Andrew's work really is top notch. I asked him about the shape and it's basically that shape because he didn't want to lean on and cause damage to the air con hoses. He's found from other cars this doesn't cause a big issue. He's forwarding me through photos shortly, but the even the jig looks cool.

Only downside I can see so far is my intake temps seem to be higher. Not sure how much of this is because of the ambient being so high, but by the time I've sealed the pod in a heat shielded box we should be all good. Note I did change to a larger R2C pod at the same time, so I don't think this is the fault of the intake pipe.

Andrew also modded the fan shroud while I was there, so I've now got everything I need to overhaul the cooling system except the fan controller for the thermos.