SAU Community

Had An Epiphany Today

Modena

I nearly bought a R34 GTT today, been really keen on it since last Friday when I test drove it but something changed my mind, its almost I had an epiphany right before writing a cheque for $14,000.

The car is nice and well looked after but one thing that was bugging me about it was that it had nearly 120,000 KMs on the odometer. So in essence, this car could really have done as much as 170,000 KMs or perhaps more.

I mean I have a daily car already which I will be driving most of the time and the Skyline will be just for the weekend but even then, if I only put 50,000 KMs within 7=10 year time on the Skyline by then the car will have nearly 200,000 KMs on the clock and will be almost impossible to sell not to mention things going wrong like the engine rebuild and the tranny.

This didn't really hit me until the last second. I was in the bank queue to write out the cheque when the lady asked for the name of the company or the person to who the cheque should be addressed to... I didn't know the guy's full name and that's when I finally decided not to go ahead.

I also want to move houses and move closer to the city by mid 2011 which may mean selling my current house and adding some more money on top to purchase a townhouse or a villa unit in the inner city area... with the money left over I then can go out and buy a second car, an R34 GTT with hopefully less than 70,000 on the odometer if not less.

So I will just keep saving until mid year, see what property I can buy after selling my house and then hopefully buying a nice R34 GTT with relatively small number of Ks on the clock.

Its funny cos back in 2006 when I bought my first 1996 R33 Series 2 GTST coupe with 28,000 KMs on the clock from SSV, I nearly bought a really dodgy R33 from a car yard in Dandenong also starting with S... prior to looking at this one. That R33 only had like 3000 KMs on the odometer which was real strange plus the car was leaking oil and had a shit loads of other problem.

So I feel really good relieved that I didnt buy that R34 GTT today... probably nothing wrong with it but 120,000 KMs on the odometer is a good indicator that this car may need some TLC very soon.

Anyone had similar experiences?

my car has 130,000 on the clock, which is probably more like 230,000.. as the clock wasn't even working when i got it. it is tracked regularly and daily driven, it is still on the orig motor and gearbox, makes over double the factory power output, has no rust and every single thing works. i have had no troubles that haven't been a drirect result of motorsport or carelessness on a mechanics behalf

my experience is that k's don't matter, its the condition of the car.

my car has 130,000 on the clock, which is probably more like 230,000.. as the clock wasn't even working when i got it. it is tracked regularly and daily driven, it is still on the orig motor and gearbox, makes over double the factory power output, has no rust and every single thing works. i have had no troubles that haven't been a drirect result of motorsport or carelessness on a mechanics behalf

my experience is that k's don't matter, its the condition of the car.

+1

When I'm shopping for a car, I never look at amount of KM it has travelled, it's all in the condition of the car.

I think the 'obession' of low km is pretty stupid, I mean a car can break down anytime regardless if it has babied for or trashed like no tomorrow.

what's with people and having some magical number of what km's of a car should be.

Let's see, the r34 is about 10 years old just say, so from purchase if it was 120,000km's, that means it was driving on average 200km's a week. That's sweet f all, really, it's not that much. It's not like it's a high end supercar, it's just a sports car that's meant to be driven on a daily basis.

Km's are the last thing i look at when buying a car

I thought even the Brool Story Co. would give it's dedicated employees a break over christmas. I was wrong!

In other news, I got up just before...walked to the mailbox...nothing in there...so I walked back inside...and here I am.

From what I understand, the more you tend to use something, the quicker it will wear out or break.

Don't tell me you would rather buy an R34 GTR (same condition) with 120,000 KMs over one with 60,000 KMs.

There is a guy selling an auto s15 with about 270,000 KMs and he wants 13 grand for it. The guy is dreaming because no one in their right mind will pay more than 5 K for it.

Actually I don't think anyone will buy it.

Of course we'd go for the lower km one.

No log books = no dice.

There are many skylines out there above 300k kms. Whats the difference between buying one with 70k kms thats been clocked compared to one thats got 120k kms thats been clocked? You don't know how many either has done, so get the one in better condition.

:domokun: :domokun: :domokun:

A lesson for us all is this...

"Even before we turn the key, we want to scrutinise the car's history!"

* logs here in Oz

* Japanese history

* VIN# Fasted

* auction papers

* receipts for services and mods

* both graphs on the dyno sheet - not just the top one

* discussion with the technician who services the car (after getting permission from the owner to bypass confidentiality)

Then the visual inspection begins, what with...

* condition of seat bolsters

* wear 'n tear on steering wheel & gear knob

* scratches on driver's door handle (more on the outside)

* rust

* repaired damage

* tell-tale signs of replaced panels (via bolt heads)

* wear 'n tear on seat belts

* scratches at key entry to ignition barrel

* arms, joints, bushes

* heat cracks and wear on rotors (if you suspect a grossly underestimated odometer figure)

* undercarriage inspection

* wear 'n tear on carpet &/or pedals

Then upon turning the key...

* comp tests

* gear box

* diff

yaddayadda...................................................

There are many skylines out there above 300k kms. Whats the difference between buying one with 70k kms thats been clocked compared to one thats got 120k kms thats been clocked? You don't know how many either has done, so get the one in better condition.

So true.

Really good info and thanks. I'm presently looking to buy a 370GT and will find what you've supplied to be very useful and very informative.

A lesson for us all is this...

"Even before we turn the key, we want to scrutinise the car's history!"

* logs here in Oz

* Japanese history

* VIN# Fasted

* auction papers

* receipts for services and mods

* both graphs on the dyno sheet - not just the top one

* discussion with the technician who services the car (after getting permission from the owner to bypass confidentiality)

Then the visual inspection begins, what with...

* condition of seat bolsters

* wear 'n tear on steering wheel & gear knob

* scratches on driver's door handle (more on the outside)

* rust

* repaired damage

* tell-tale signs of replaced panels (via bolt heads)

* wear 'n tear on seat belts

* scratches at key entry to ignition barrel

* arms, joints, bushes

* heat cracks and wear on rotors (if you suspect a grossly underestimated odometer figure)

* undercarriage inspection

* wear 'n tear on carpet &/or pedals

Then upon turning the key...

* comp tests

* gear box

* diff

yaddayadda...................................................

all the key points have been said.

cars are made for driving.. kms is a poor thing to base an opinion on.

would you rather a stock 80k km car thats had zero maintenance in its life time or a 120K km car that has had bushes changed, belts done, various other parts and fluids changed etc.

i know what i rather... as the 80k km car will start costing you money very quickly/.

lol my car just clocked over 190,000km. According to you, I should be preparing for an engine rebuild :/

wtf are you worried about resale value in 7-10yrs time when its $14k now?! The car will be worthless regardless of how many kilometres are on it.

Dont base your decision on what you think the next owner will want. Its your money and your car. Enjoy it.

cool story brah

+1

All these stories about shops winding back the K's are more often that not utter rubbish.

And as for cars being spent after 180,000+ kays, what nonsense. A car that's been looked after will do three times that with little to no effort.