SAU Community

Intercooler Kit

Komet

Hi guys,

I have just recently had a new intercooler kit installed, and I thought I would like to share the design with you guys.

It's all CNC mandrel bent one piece aluminium tubes, and I don't think there's anyone else who has this design in Australia.

From the pics you can clearly see that it does not require alot of piping, and there is no need to cut the radiator fan.

All the tubes are replaced, including both the factory compressor inlet and outlet.

The cooler is a light weight tube/fin core, and the end tanks are made from light weight, pressed sheet aluminium.

What do you guys think of the kit??

xRHETTx - all up it cost me close to $1,700

The business is performance manufacturing and they're located in Wetherill Park NSW.

I don't think they have a R32 kit at the moment, but they can do it in a reasonable quick time.

You can give them a call on 9756 0495 and ask for Mark

Hi guys,

I have just recently had a new intercooler kit installed, and I thought I would like to share the design with you guys.

It's all CNC mandrel bent one piece aluminium tubes, and I don't think there's anyone else who has this design in Australia.  

From the pics you can clearly see that it does not require alot of piping, and there is no need to cut the radiator fan.  

All the tubes are replaced, including both the factory compressor inlet and outlet.

The cooler is a light weight tube/fin core, and the end tanks are made from light weight, pressed sheet aluminium.

What do you guys think of the kit??

Hi Nick. Glad you are happy with it :D

Here is a pic of the "Titanium Look" anodized pipes I spoke to you about.

PICT0030.JPG

David's pipes are ready to pick up from the anodizers so we will get them tomorrow. He decided to go with purple. We are also picking up the pipes for the EVO, which are red. I can't wait to see how some different colours look on the cars. I am thinking of making up a GTS-T kit in the same colour as shown above.

We could swap yous for the anodized ones you know....... :D

Guys..

Do a search for the Gibson Motor sport R31 race car.

that is very similar design from the throttle body to the cooler.

Actually, the Gibson motor sport bend was even tighther than that and they made some ridiculous power from the RB20 back then..

BOOSTMEISTER from these forums had a similar set up.

I believe that SydneyKID uses this type of setup on the RB20/RB25 motor intercooler pipes..

If I ever get another skyline, that is how I will go about it..

It probably saves about 1 meter of pipe work (maybe a little less) AND, your pipes no longer go over the radiator fan and turbo before it goes in to your engine.

BTW, the Titanium look is brilliant.. best looking pipes I have seen.

Anyone else have a problem with the U bend out of the cooler to the plenum? looks a bit tight to me.

More then 90 degree bends on cooler piping is bad from what ive learnt

What you are saying is partially correct, but all kits are a compromise of many factors. Unless you are going to change the plenum, our kit has less bends than any other kit on the market (as far as we are aware). The bend you are talking about is exactly 160.5 degrees, and eliminates the two 90 degree bends found on most kits. We also change the pipe from the turbo to the inner guard, further reducing the number of bends.

Any way, to cut it short, I agree with what you are saying but I think we have done the best we could to minimise the number of bends, and the lenght of the pipes.

Guys..

Do a search for the Gibson Motor sport R31 race car.

that is very similar design from the throttle body to the cooler.

Actually, the Gibson motor sport bend was even tighther than that and they made some ridiculous power from the RB20 back then..

BOOSTMEISTER from these forums had a similar set up.

I believe that SydneyKID uses this type of setup on the RB20/RB25 motor intercooler pipes..

If I ever get another skyline, that is how I will go about it..

It probably saves about 1 meter of pipe work (maybe a little less) AND, your pipes no longer go over the radiator fan and turbo before it goes in to your engine.

BTW, the Titanium look is brilliant.. best looking pipes I have seen.

Yeah, what he said! :D

Thanks for the compliment on the pipes.

red17.

once it gets under the car, you will require MORE pipes and tighter bends to get to the other side of the cooler on the drivers side.

There are kits that have one outlet on the drivers side of the intercooler come out on the bottom on a sharp angle and have a pipe running along the bottom of the cooler but I'm not sure if it has good flow characteristics at that EXIT point on the drivers side.

RB20LagWagon,

Thats effectively what my cooler (currently being stored in my wardrobe) does. My drivers (inlet) side tank has been modified so that I can run a pipe behind the core back to the stock piping on the passenger side. This requires minimal bends, next to no custom work because its basically a straight bit of pipe with one bend on the end.

GTST. you dont use that end of the core as the EXIT point, you use it as the ENTRY point so that the air has the shortest distance and least amount of time to be heated up on its way into the engine. If you had the end tank modified properly the effect can be minimised. ALOT of japanese kits do this for the RB20/25 motors, so it cant be that bad.

Red17

RB20LagWagon,

Thats effectively what my cooler (currently being stored in my wardrobe) does. My drivers (inlet) side tank has been modified so that I can run a pipe behind the core back to the stock piping on the passenger side. This requires minimal bends, next to no custom work because its basically a straight bit of pipe with one bend on the end.

GTST. you dont use that end of the core as the EXIT point, you use it as the ENTRY point so that the air has the shortest distance and least amount of time to be heated up on its way into the engine. If you had the end tank modified properly the effect can be minimised. ALOT of japanese kits do this for the RB20/25 motors, so it cant be that bad.

Red17

That is the easiest way to do a kit for the GTS-T, but although the kit only needs a minimal amount of piping, the total length of piping once installed is huge!

• 2 weeks later...