SAU Community

Australian Delivered Kei Car?

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a Kei car for my daily driver. Specifically, something like a 2003-2005 model Daihatsu Charade.

My reasoning:

• Cheap to buy
  • Cheap to run
  • Similar power/weight as an original cooper s! (from what I can tell)
  • Would be like driving a go-kart :-)

Now maybe this is wishful thinking, but I have these grand designs in my head of getting one of these things, removing the rear seats and performing a few minor mods to improve handling (and power, if possible).

Keen to hear from people that have driven these cars, and any other suggestions / ideas.

Am I completely crazy? ;-)

Thanks

I've seen what you're talking about, kinda.

It was a tiny car, tiny wheels lots of noise, not much go.

Kinda like this: http://noriyaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/noriyaro_odaiba_rex_kei_car_drifting_001.jpg

Don't get toooooo caught up about power/weight either. You won't be destroying HSVs in one of those :P

btw I think small cars are kinda cool. I've always wanted to mod my excel, put 180atwKW into it and take it out against a few HSVs to see how I stack up... but eh... money effort and time aren't in great abundance.

Why not buy it to get from A to B and dedicate your money to making your Skyline faster?

Edited by SKITTLES

I don't have any plans on destroying anything with it. More after something that is fun to drive (well, at least more fun than my boring lancer gli). Wouldn't be spending a cent on looks or 'noise'

I'm actually between skylines at the moment- and will be for some time :-(

that or a micra.

the other is a cuore' .

had one of those for a loan car for a while - great on fuel and fun to punt around. parts are easier to find for them. thel later charade is hard on parts.

My wife had a 2003 Daihatsu Charade in metallic pink, owned the car for 3 years and loved it. Very cheap to run and great around the city, we tested it out on the highway a few times and it was fine once it got up to speed. Inside it was pretty basic however, but there was a decent amount of room for passengers in the back and the boot could hold more than a set of golf clubs. I always felt worried that a good strong breeze could have blown it over though, the tires were small and very thin.