SAU Community

Neo Head Fuel Economy?

Hey everyone, new guy here with a quick question.

I've been wanting to get an R34 GT-T for a while now but i'm a little concerned about it's fuel consumption.

Some people have told me that pre '98 Skylines are terrible on economy. But with the later NEO heads I've read some improvements on this.

I saw saw a post on these forums mentioning that the NEO can manage 9.4L/100km but i'm not sure if that's accurate.

What is the L/100km rating on the NEO? And what is there a major difference between driving on and off boost?

Thanks.

yes there is a big difference between boosting it everywhere and taking it sensibly. for this reason everyone will get different fuel economy. what some people class as taking it calmy will still be classed as giving it the beans by others. the condition the engine is in (including the cooling system), the distance you drive, the terrain you drive, whether you do some highway/freeway driving, as well as how often you stop and start will all have an affect on your fuel economy. boost levels also make a difference. the lower the boost the less fuel you will use.

in my 33 gts-t i used to see about 16 to 17l/100kms, but then i used to do relatively short trips with a lot of stop/starting, and i used to give it the beans a fair bit. on the highway though i would see economy down around 10L/100kms.

what are you currently driving? if it is an aussie 6 then expect to use a similar amount of fuel for similar driving styles. if it is a 4 cylinder then you will see worse economy. also remember that the skyline needs to be run on premium unleaded, so if you aren't willing to spend the extra money on premium unleaded for your current cars fuel economy then you might want to reconsider a skyline.

16L/100Kms seems like a big jump for me. I am currently driving a little 4 cylinder Honda Civic.

I can spend the extra money on Premium. I even put in a little bit from time to time.

My work is 20km's away from home but the majority of the trip is on a highway cruise. I just don't want to be spending all my income on fuel everyday.

I've got my eye on the Skyline cause I know that I'll have the power under my foot when I need it. The civic struggles to go up hills, I have to rev it right up to get over. Having a couple of mates in the car doesn't help.

That, along with the fact that the Skyline looks and sounds pretty awesome.

if you drive it and change gears before it hits boost, for a bit of economy driving, i got my nissan stagea up to 11l/100km for suburb/city driving. just gotta know how to drive thats all.

highway driving helps alot as well, i did a trip from sydney to canberra area, and had managed an average of 8l/100km. that was skipping along at 130-140ish, sometimes behind a truck for short distances.

but once you flog it, youll see some bad numbers, i drive a bit hard nowadays, seeing that more and more people these days get their license by paying money not actual driving skills.

im sitting on 15ish/100km.

i either run 98 premium, or when available 91-93 e10, e10 feels better, but uses more fuel. per tank im sitting on 380-400km driving a bit hard