SAU Community

GTR33 or?

hi everyone

i think it should say on da left i currently own a 206gti - but thats a lil misleading....totalled it last week so now i'm looking for a new car. very lucky to be still walking and talking. NEway, on to more optmistic things==

GTR is NIIICE...anyone of them..but specially the 33 becoz of the value for money.

just like to ask all of you skyline masters out there hehe.. :) whether its better to live the dream and get a GTR33 or be more 'practical' and get a Gtst34. I'm findin it more than impossible 2 choose between those two, and evo5 or a MY00Sti. Of course, The skylines are my dream performance car. the 206 i had before ws the most powerful car i've owned and the most powerful car i've driven is a BMW 745i2002. The206 was very easy to live with but maybe a little underpowered. The 7-series is Very powerful...but very easy to live with too - can its peformance be compared 2 a Skyline?

do you owners get hassled by cops a lot? is the skyline a good choice for a car that will be used everyday? i sometimes feel driving can be better than sex....so.. an entertaining car is very important. I've also never owned a high-performance/turbo car b4, i've really got no idea what its like to be using one as a daily driver. i'm afraid that the GTR is also more than i could handle.

ALL your comments are welcome...help!

PS - if anyone's got a good price fo a GTR or any of those cars above, i'm interested to talk further in private.

Damn, that's a hard choice. I've always wanted a GTR and I love R33s, so that's what I'd go for, but a R34 GTT is still a damn nice car - and newer.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the question :)

As far as being practical, the GTR is quite easy to live with on a day to day basis from what I've heard. I don't own one, but I know a few people who do, and drive them to work every day.

I love my 33 GTS25t, it's the best car I've ever owned and it certainly has a nice presence on the street. Goes nicely, but not as hard as a GTR though. The GTR is an absolute monster on the road and especially at the lights :) - I can't think of many cars that would better it.

I would say a GTR is more driveable than my GTS (I'll probably get some flak for this) as it has 4WD. This is the GTR's biggest asset to me, and the reason why I'd take that over the R34 GTT. Engine wise - from what other owners have said to me, a GTR doesn't feel like it has insanely lumpy cams or anything like that. It's like a normal car, just a really good one. It would be interesting to hear what others have to say on this, as I haven't been in too many GTRs and haven't actually driven one personally.

Standard and mild mods, eg exhaust, bit more boost, filter, big cooler etc both cars are good daily drivers (make sure you got a good alarm). If you want to do lots of mods the gtr is probably a little better to drive daily as the gts dont have any traction.

The 34 is a real nice car (my old man has one) if you want a performance car and enjoy driving hard get the gtr, if you want a good cruise car with decent performance and handling get the 34 gtt.

MIC33R: extreme performance and better day-to-day drivability? sounds like a no-brainer to me now..

Clint32: mild mods are definitely planned...bigger mods like a bigger intercooler maybe..gotta get the car 1st and see

cheers guys, looks like the GTRs the way to go then!

any OWNERS out there with suggestions/advice?

what about the cop thing? i've got no patience when it comes to having to explain my s**t all the time and i WILL modify the car if i get it.

PS - I'm still on my P's, so maybe i'll be attracting the wrong attention wif a GTR..

Both can be had for similar prices (40,000) but in the end a GTR will cost you a lot more.

Things to consider is that there is 2 of lots of things on the gtr (twin turbo) so fixing anything in that area will cost u at least 2 x what a 34 GTT would.

Also, both are claimed to be 205kw, but I think the GTR has a fair bit more go in it..

Umm, the GTT is also a newer car so you would expect it would cause less problems. Also insurance is going to be a lot cheaper on the GTT. Depending on your age you might not even be able to get insurance for the GTR.

Or you could get an insane R33 GTST for 40k.. or a 32 GTR and spend some $$$'s on it.

They are all good but i think out of them all the 34 GTT will be the cheapest to maintain, as long as u get a clean example.

dAVE: cool cool.. i'll prbs b getting the car from a showroom, like Gran Turismo Autos in Melbourne or similar. I know they're costly, but I get a 3 year warranty, 24hrs australia wide roadside assistane (gotta check this one out) and servicing. what about the evo and da subie?

EVO & Subaru both more expensive and not as fun. Also, the r34 gtt will kill a MY02 STi... I took a MY 02 STi on a cruise and even the r33 gtsts could easily keep up.

I would highly reccomend you dont buy your car from a dealer.

Those warranty's are pretty useless and you have to follow thier guidelines of servicing every 10,000kms or 6 months.. so if you are away for a while and you dont service your car the warranty can be void. Also, payouts are not big and dont cover the things that usually break. I had a warranty on my Surf and blew the head. Tried to claim it but in the fine print heads are not included in warranty.

I beleive you can save up to $10,000 buying a r34 privately as dealers are currently charging way to much. For example, cheapest r34 gtt on carpoint is $35,000. That is private.. cheapest dealer r34 gtt is $41,900.

Good to see you looking at a Skyline for your next car.

I bought an R33 GTR 4 months ago having been through the same dillema you're currently faced with. The R34 GT-T was considered as the price was similar, actually slightly less, after a friend came to me saying that the GT-T was super fast with 207KW. So it was time to try them both, and honestly, though both rated at the same output, and the GT-T (I'm assuming) being lighter than the GTR, the GTR still felt the stronger in a straight line. I don't know how the torque figures compare but the GTR was more drivable producing good strong power very evenly throughout the rev range.

But it was not this which sold me the GTR, drive a GTR over a twisty bit of back road, and the AWD system makes it incredibly quick out of tight corners. The back will still slide under power but it doesn't step out, it simply drifts smoothly, predictably. It does the same in the wet, you can slide the rear on demand but you keep the foot in, and it just gets better.

The GT-T, also a worderfull car, really struggled with traction and I could only imagine how much of a handfull it would be in the wet, great fun though. GT-T felt like a fast road car, GTR felt amazing, steering was right, brakes strong, seats firm and secure. And I love the R33s, they just look right.

The GTR accellerates in the wet as it does in the dry, in fact, going very hard in first on very slippery roads has all fours breaking traction, but you're still accellerating very hard, so you'd almost miss it.

I drive the car every day to work, I drive the car for work, normally fighting the CBD traffic during working hours looking for parking, and love it all the time. Easy to drive, easy to park, and a great drive on the weekends.

I've not had trouble with the police (touch wood), in fact, I've hardly been noticed by them at all. When I see them, I shift early and look inconspicuous. No probs.

If you've done your homework (insurance, running costs etc), and the GTR still looks good, I'd definately go the 'R', true supercar in a practical body.

Whichever way you go, you got the Skyline right.

BTW, my sis has a 206 Gti, fantastic handling, throw it in and hang on.

dAVE: no surprises there eh! i guess the subie and the evo are just objective comparos..what i Really want is a Skyline... i dunno why..maybe coz it just looks 2 Powerful. always loved the look>>still staring wide-eyed at any skyline rumbling past! bt i reckon buying from a recognised dealer is less riskier than buying privately or importing from Japan. Also the hassle is bypassed N i let them do the dirtywork.

Gumby: oh man sounds like you're having FUNx3 !! i have been in a mate's Gtst34 b4 on low boost (not tuned yet) and it already seems Very Fast. can only imagine how the GTR goes...test drive here i come! i've heard many opinions of the GTRs driveability..dats wats really drawing me to the car as well. thanx for the feedback.

btw..your sis made a good choice..the gti's fantastic to drive..very chuckable and a lot of fun, always very involving - i miss it heaps!! my first car as well..anyways its very very safe as well - i'll put up some pics of my totalled baby as soon as i can.

I dontk now other ppls opinions, but all a dealer does is buys cars of an importer and marks up the price. Its easier just to go to the importers and buy direct. All the private sales on carpoint are just small time importers making a few $$'s for themselves. Either way, you can get dodgy in both so as long as you get a mechanic to thoroughly check the car you should be right.. but with private u have about 5-10k to spend on mods :)

you should look at importing thru j-spec or prestige... they can organise roadside assistance too and save you a few grand. Its well worth the wait, better yet you don't have to take it to mechanics whom the dealers approve of, you can tune your car and still not void anything. Which reminds me, the moment you mod your car you lose your warranty claim. Get the r33 GTR (sounds like you could afford the running costs). It will drink a lil bit more fuel etc and demand a bit more TLC. But it wins hands down in handling driveability etc.

If you want an automatic, you're better off gettin a GT-t tho :) dunno if GTR's come in automatic.

Sometimes with private importers you don't have to wait, coz ppl like j-spec and prestige both usually have cars already landed n complied in australia waiting to be registered (just like a dealer). As far as I know these guys also know about imported cars. I had dealers try n sell me a skyline "coz it goes hard"... so I ask about the engine... and they look at some paper and go its a 2.6 liter twin turbo, I asked em if it ad an RB20DET or an RB25DET and they had to run off to see their managers, who rang the head office to find out. (They din really bother to open the hood and look at the engine.) Plus private importers will usually get to know you on a first name basis, and they are always willing to help you out, even after i was sold the car, like where to get cheaper gear, where to get things fixed for less etc etc. I'd love to see a dealer do that.

ehehe..wat do i do now

so if i go and mod the car most prbs that will void the warranty..so i might as well just get the car imported and use the leftover money for mods rite. i spoke to craig from j-spec the other day and he said all he did was import. didn't say anything further when i asked him about insurance..altho he seemed genuinely friendly...unlike a few dealers i kno. i'll speak to him again when i get closer 2 buying the car. he did say he could get a GTR33 for $35000+ n complied, 1995-97, 50000km's and under- depends on the day...very very attractive pricing.

funkymonkey: definitely a manual man..unless i'm driving a Bi-em or merc.

dAVE: i'll go check out whats on offer @carpoint

Anyone know of/ got experience wif garages in Victoria which work exclusively on Skylines? Are they $$$-friendly?

Thanx 4 all the comments every1

j-spec is the way to go.......

i imported my r33 gtr thru craig, very helpful, although little wait, he didn't dissapoint me in the end... u could win a car at auction insanely cheap if u r very lucky like me :) craig will know what i mean... though mine had done 92000km when i got it, it felt stronger than the 50000km r33 gtst that i bought from a dealer (i won't say who...)

r33 gtr is niiiiiice to drive around, quite handful of power from my 500hp engine (haha told u i am the lucky one :D ) , and also buying directly from auction will save u some money on mods coz u can choose which car u wanna bid for.... and obviously i went for the modded ones....

BUT on the other hand, if u have a nasty driving record like me, its prolli not a very wise idea to buy a gtr... check out

http://forums.skylinesaustralia.com/showth...=&threadid=3408

hope this helps u

nissaner: 500hp?!??! fakken 'ell...LOVE 2 see you drag the new Murcielago..i'd pay 2 see dat tsktsk very bouncing man

$16570p/a ...sure that ain't a typo? i mean.....c'mon...WTF??? rite? might as well just not get it insured and take my chances... dats crap

KamikazeR33: yeah the power-to-weight ratio's all f*@kd up...can't even drive a Gtst wit those numbers...again, mebe i'll just take my chances.. know wat happens if i get busted driving a car dats 2 powerful? but i've seen heaps of fellas cruising around Melbourne with P's on their skylines, evos, subies... either they dunno about their restrictions or the cops don't really care (altho i seriously doubt this in VIC). maybe i should just pack up and move to Qeenslnd [yeah rite]..or Perth so help me God...[no offense to all you Perthans out there!!]

fatz: LOL i been thinking of ways to get around dat..i mean a lot of us here ARE under 25 AND drving gtsts and GTRs..wats da deal? mayB just get 3rd party insurance under the olds? or just don't declare the accident?

this GTR thing is fa'ing difficult in Victoria when ur U25 P-license, been in a write-off.. if anyones been thru this, i'm sure lots of you have...

tell me about it pls

or if anyone can suggest me another car..altho it will be diffiult settling for sumthin other than a GTR now..keke.. :)