SAU Community

More Power!

onboostR33

hi guys just got my self a r33 gtst recently and wondering how strong the standard internals of a rb25 are, the engine has a garret 35-40 turbo, external waste gate microtech lt10s ecu, front mount cooler and is running 12 psi making 205kw dyno tuned at the treads i wanna know how much boost i can run with stock internals have been told different storys looking to make 270- 300 kw at the treads, i realise i will need a bigger fuel pump and injectors what is the best set up to achieve this power with out killing the engine cheers any info would be great!

post-75914-0-28664700-1295770887_thumb.jpg

post-75914-0-89078600-1295770935_thumb.jpg

Turbo is too big for the application, they are good for 350kw and there is no way you want to make that much on a stock motor. Get a gt28/30/highflow something that size and aim for 250kw.

Rolls, true i think this turbo is to big for the power i wanna make but it was on the car when i brought it. boost does not come on till 4 grand, i used to have a mitsu galant gsr with a 4g63 2 litre with tdo4 stock turbo i notice the difference between the two, boost was on at 2 grand in the galant and had limited top end , i dont wanna change the turbo now just wanna work with what i have got. how much Kw can you get out of standard internals , i relise the tunner has a big part in this but if tuned properly can you run about 18 psi with stock internals? on another note has any one had experance with variable vane turbos on a r33?

listen to guilt toy.

change back to standard inlet manifold and get a new pipe made up to clear your high mount setup.

Just mount a walbro fuel pump in the tank with full voltage and a set of hi flowed rb25 injectors and your rdy 2 go.

that turbo will be fine for 300rwkw on bout 18-20psi depending on motor condition.

I run same turbo on 21psi have been for 7months now and 2yrs before that on same boost with different turbo's

but it does come down 2 your tuner, make sure you pick someone who is decent :)

Edited by l0WRB

Rolls, true i think this turbo is to big for the power i wanna make but it was on the car when i brought it. boost does not come on till 4 grand, i used to have a mitsu galant gsr with a 4g63 2 litre with tdo4 stock turbo i notice the difference between the two, boost was on at 2 grand in the galant and had limited top end , i dont wanna change the turbo now just wanna work with what i have got. how much Kw can you get out of standard internals , i relise the tunner has a big part in this but if tuned properly can you run about 18 psi with stock internals? on another note has any one had experance with variable vane turbos on a r33?

Depends on the condition of the motor, you might make 300kw on 18psi for a few years, or it might only last a week, this is with a good tune as well. If your tuner tunes it on the edge (high egts etc, lean) then it could only last a few weeks.

Bit of a gamble really, I wouldn't aim for much over 250kw on a stock motor if you want some sort of guarantee and if thats the case a smaller turbo would be better as it'll give you that power but with much much more response.

eww... cut'n'shut plenum....

should be easy to straight swap that plenum and all related piping for stock with someone

How bad are they, I've seen a few and figured they can't be any worse than half the other front facing plenum's out there.

Yeah that plennum was on the car as ibrought it only had the car for 6 months so just tidying it up at the moment, new oil in everything, how much is a good plennum worth with the front inlet, i gather this was cut and welded, but the car runs fine, is this a beter setup from the stock one because it does not go over the top of the motor wich would heat the air from the cooler or was it done so the gt 30-40 monster coud be fitted ? its running 12 psi now making 205 kwatw is this a good figure for running 12 psi? should i be aiming for 250kw tune with around 15-18 psi, also im goin to get a duel stage boost controller so i can switch between 12 psi and what ever the new psi i will be running, joey joe how would this setup lean out cly 6 ? i have taken all the plugs out and checked them all , all same colour coffie brown on the electrode and black outer so i guess all the cylinders are getting same fuel air ratio............... is ther a way you can tell if the last cylinder is running leaner? , Rolls my motor is running richer at top end know this cause she blows plenty black smoke on full boost , so your saying some tunners tune learner to get the power at top end should it be blowing black smoke when on full boost this is ok right?

Edited by onboostR33

it shouldnt be blowing clouds of black smoke, if its on the rich end of the scale it will be slightly black, it isn't bad though, means it is more likely to last longer as it keeps the cylinders cooler.

the only way to know if its leaning out cyl 6 is to get individual lambda for each cylinder or put a heat gun on each runner and see if one is hotter than the other, the later might not be that reliable though, so really the only way to be safe is to add a slight enrichment to cyl6 and maybe half that to 5.

Edited by Rolls

Rolls i gather you mean cly 6 is the last cly near the fire wall , so your saying this cyclinder is getting less air than say cyl 1234? or more cause if cyl 6 is getting less than the others wouldnt it be running richer because cyl 6 is getting the same fuel as all the rest? is it worth getting a proper front facing plenum? that is properly tuned for front intake?

actually it was my impression that the rear cylinders got more air due to the way the plenum pressurises so the rear cyl 6 gets more air and hence runs leans

all I know is it isn't an 100% equal distribution and can cause issues, I'm fairly sure even the standard 26 intake runs individual cylinder trims to compensate for it.

my mate i work with had an r33 gtst it was feutured in hpi a few issues back white one with ONG47E number plates it was a stock motor stock cams mods were exhaust, front mount 555cc injectors walbro intank pump sard reg gt35r 44mm external gate power fc only thing diffrent he had a greedy copy plenum not the one you have and it made 302rwkw on 18psi he had the car just over 2 years and it coped some abuse not babied thats for sure

interesting rolls guess i wont know unless i have individual lambda on each cyl as you said , was thinking to hold out for a re tune untill there is a supply of E85 in the illawarra area, read guilt toys thread on this seems like he did not have many drammas are you running E85 on yours whats you oppion on E85 is it worth me holding out till this stuff becomes more available ? or just retune on 98? im only gunna run big boost when i go to track days etc not every day..............