SAU Community

Zoid's Gts Build

zoidbergmerc

i reckon if I can get Nowelly on the Aero train he will best Brads 56. who's Brad? the bloke who USED to be awesome and race a red datsun, now MIA

Time attack really opened my eyes to the comprises I make not only in my car setup, but also my life style.

If I want to be better I need to practice and develop the car more, and that costs money.

You're all my witness when I say, no more beer unless its a super special occasion and no more junk food, no more spending $15 on a take out meal when the supermarket is closer and cheaper.

Postie bike development halted, no more motocross...

Gotta start doing it right!

Time attack really opened my eyes to the comprises I make not only in my car setup, but also my life style.

If I want to be better I need to practice and develop the car more, and that costs money.

You're all my witness when I say, no more beer unless its a super special occasion and no more junk food, no more spending $15 on a take out meal when the supermarket is closer and cheaper.

Postie bike development halted, no more motocross...

Gotta start doing it right!

Once my car is up and running, I reckon I'll go out around once a week/fortnight until I burn my cash and enthusiasm, and I'll drag you with me. Like the dedication man, keep it up ;)

Dedication sux Haha , i had to stop drifting to concentrate on racing :( , but since i did that , i admit , i have come a long way in consistency . you might find yourself in a similar crossroad soon enough . Do you have a lap timer?

Nope , i was talking about a lap timer which i assume your dash has! , can you write track temp and Tyre pressure etc into your logger? Pays to have a little scrap book or race diary to put comments about how the car felt and any changes you made, helps heaps in the long run

Nope , i was talking about a lap timer which i assume your dash has! , can you write track temp and Tyre pressure etc into your logger? Pays to have a little scrap book or race diary to put comments about how the car felt and any changes you made, helps heaps in the long run

yeah you can put almost anything into the logs.

I've got a little book to write stuff into but I'm yet to use it :P I know I really should but I just get so flustered between keeping my car happy, my body happy and just taking 5 seconds to relax, there isn't a lot of time left!

Watched you tubes pete. looks like good fun. always wishing it was me there.

im defiantly no expert but can i offer some thoughts.

the car seems to push a lot even whist drifting. i would think from my drifting experience that its a lack of front grip rather than push from the diff. it may seem a bit backwards to some as push and front grip would be seen to be similar but it seems from the footage that the front especially when drifting doent respond to what you want and thats why i think you have to work the wheel so much. i have been through this with my own car at basky where i have to steer with the rear and hope that the front guides it as best as possible. a recap on the situation has found that a tyre selection or tyre pressure change would fix it.

Also its a personal preference but id look at moving your seat forward as you look like you need gogo gadget arms to reach the wheel. sometimes 10mm will make the difference. this is another thing i have been through with my car and it can make a world of difference.

not trying to judge just offering my limited experience.

Also its a personal preference but id look at moving your seat forward as you look like you need gogo gadget arms to reach the wheel. sometimes 10mm will make the difference. this is another thing i have been through with my car and it can make a world of difference.

I've been bitching at Peter to fix this ever since I sat in his seat at the time attack, it was mounted there first and he has looked into getting it fixed a couple of times, hopefully it will be fixed up sometime this weekend :) The video doesn't do the distance justice either, you see sometimes he's having to reach out of his seating position for a better grip on the wheel, and the clutch is a big toe stretch job as well :O

Props for being able to drive it at all, I would have thrown it into the wall a couple of times by now. Fingers crossed for a 0.5 second per lap drop due to increased confidence and consistency :P

Also, I'm loving the in car videos as well. For those of you unaware the fastest lap (and second fastest in class for the day) was the second lap on that video :) On street tyres when everyone else in the class was on semi slicks, t'was a good effort.

Thanks for your feedback Damo :) You're pretty much right in your comments with how the car behaved, I think it's got something to do with the 215s on the front :P I'm shopping around for some 17x10s in a good offset so I can run some 245s and still maintain a good stretch. The car doesn't push at all with the 265s on the front.

And yes, the seat is a bit far back, it's welded in position so moving it won't be the easiest job in the world. But because I've been off the booze and not eating shit for every meal I've got heap of cash now! Spend a whopping $26 on food this week and $0 on beer. It's amazing the difference it makes!

So with all the extra cashola I'm going to get some awesome rails and do it properly :)

you didnt end up with the the D2Rs then?

i hate making seat mounts with a passion. i had pulld my seat out which was no easy task 3 times before i remade the rails. kept putting it off. this time i drilled extra holes so it can me mover forwards in half the time. what street tyres were you running?

more stability in the tyre to rim relationship while running less pressure.

That and it looks totally tits.

Honestly , for grip , (I'm absolutely no professional on this) but stretched tyres don't do much for me. Stuffing around in a mates car one day , i gained a second by going to un-stretched tyres on his car . Admittedly the ones without stretch were wider and that may have been most of the cause but the car responded heaps better to turn in and had an over all much nicer steering feel (could've been a personal preference thing ) . Note the tyres were the same type swapped from back to front , one of the stretched tyres got a slight flat spot , it was 'pushing' about as much as yours (rb25 r32 )

Sorry Damo, missed your post.

I run a 215\45\17 Federal 595-evo on the front. 235\45\17 595-ss on the back for drift.

For time attack it was the same, but with Toyo R1rs on the back.

I've got those D2Rs but I didn't run them at the time attack because one of them was too worn out :( They're a 265\35\18, Dunlop Semi slick Medium compound, fkn amazing they are, just need to get some more :)

That's some interesting research you've done there Toffy, what tyres were you using?

Edited by zoidbergmerc

Wasn't really research , more of a "oh whoops , just flat spotted a front , how about we swap it with the back ones so we can round it again" :ph34r: . The tyres were silverstone in memory , rs or something like that , silverstones equivalent to 595 evo , uni directional though

in the near future, after our boat issues are dealt with and the tuna season is past and i'm mostly done with my dust gathera, I need to build Nowelly a splitter. a big angry bastard splitter. incorparated NACA ducts and brake ducting. bit later in the year Nowelly, needs doing.