SAU Community

Sputtering R32 Gtst

nm35is

Hi all, new to the forums.

Bought a 90 R32 gtst recently. All was going fine, until I decided to give it a service.

After I bought the car, I gave it the once over. Changed spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, engine oil n filter. Now, for some reason, especially under a bit of load, i get an inconsistent sputtering, as if its starving for fuel. The car has managed to stall because of this once, but mostly it'll just sputter for about 30 seconds, then it'll be fine until the next time it gets driven and it happens again.

Plz bare in mind, b4 it was serviced it ran fine. Car is standard appart from a cat back exhaust which i had fitted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Given that you changed the fuel pump and fuel filter, it sounds like the car might not be getting enough fuel under load. What pump did you change it to? and how much fuel have you had in the tank?

Also, give the AAC a clean up near the throttle body. Might not be the problem now, but it often gives similar symptoms when it's dirty.

Standard fuel pump. Car hasn't been touched, it's standard apart from a cat back. Aac been flushed with tb cleaner. After browsing the forums I'm starting to think it's the coil packs.

Until servicing the car, nothing looked like it been replaced. Spark plugs looked like originals from factory. I'm suspecting a hairline crack in the cp's.

Car ran sweet even if it looked like it hadn't been serviced. after servicing it the problem began. It was imported less than a year ago and it was sitting in a garage untouched for the best part of six months...

What are the plugs you put in it ?

What size gap also? If it's stock boost then gap plugs to 1.0mm

On standard coils when they start to arc out or drop spark you can see marks on the plastic looks like there burnt but its not obvious but noticeable if looking for it

If they are arcing out you can tape them or silicon them or gap the plugs down so your weak sparks not getting blown out

but it's still a cheap fix that will let you down eventually ...

Coil packs are killed buy heat and having the coilpack cover on can contribute also because there is no where for the heat to go

Also double check everything you touched ( like vacuum lines etc it only takes a Loose clamp split old hose for air to lean from witch could put the air flow meter out cause the engine isn't getting the air that the air flow meter says it is

Hope that helps mate

Try regapping the 1.0 to 0.8mm and see if that fixes it. Could well be the coilpacks. Given that the car is 21 years old, the coilpacks will be on their way out and by changing the plugs you could have disrupted how they sat.

regardless, it's probably better to regap your plugs anyway. Hopefully it will solve the problem though.

Just an update, checked over everything this morning. Coil packs looked fine etc. Checked all hoses n found that the breather hose ontop of the block had a good crack through it. Replaced it, n belted the car down the freeway without so much as 1 sputter.

I'm yet to believe that was the culprit. I will run it a bit more this arvo n see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

I have to same problem in my R33. I'll be watching this thread enthusiastically.

What fuel are you using? I was using a 98 with ethanol for 6 months before realizing it had ethanol in it... so I switched to v-power and it's not as bad.

It gets worst when the air cons on, and it drinks the fuel like crazy with the aircon on.

Bad news, brother drove the car this morning and says it's still doing the sputtering. In at the point of getting sick of spending money on the car to no effect..think I'll go trade it n buy something more reliable :@..

Bout 78ks...I'll pull out the coils tomoz n clean em out the slap some silicone all over em n see how it goes. Was looking at replacing the coil packs this week..any premium recommendations? I've seen splitfires thrown around on the forum a bit? Price? I'll give the afm a clean 2..

Although, I can't explain for the life of me why yesturday in 42 degree heat running almost non stop no sputter, yet today in cooler weather it's acting like a camel running on empty..

I got a set of splitfires off eBay they were genuine ones also they were 600 posted to my Door which is good considering autobarn and shit places like that want a grand a set if you have the money go with spitfire worth the money but on my current 32 I cheaped out and got super sparks which can be a bit of lucky dip mine were ok but a mate bought some for his 180sx and they were f*ked straight out of the box you hear good and bad about them I'm pretty sure super sparks are about 500 to your door from eBay but there is a new company that make yellow jackets I think there called I don't no much bout them but there bout 400 to your door but I would check the feed back on them

Another option is u can get series 2 rb 20 coils supposed to be a bit stronger and last longer also series 1 rb25 coils work also hope that helps bro

Try taping or silicon them first or run ecu for errors And it should tell you where the miss is if it is coil or sensor related it should tell you which cylinder is miss firing

Yeah I will run an ecu scan tonight when I get home from work. I'll go over the coils properly tomorrow n I'll splash em with silicon...if that works I'll get new coils on Thursday when I'm off..will keep u posted bud