SAU Community

Tyre Width And Camber

about to purchase new tyres all round for my r33 gtst. its a street car that sees grip driving. currently has 235/40 18 all round. plenty of room for the same size up front but the rear is the issue. to make the 235s clear guards with enough room for daily use it has alot of camber (factory gear). -3 on both sides. ive bought adjustable camber arms to be fitted at the same time to try and remove some but it seems only .5 will be able to come out before wheel hits guard. soooooooo, am i better off running a 225 instead of a 235 so i can remove more camber, working on the assumption the exact same tyres that are on their now. the rear wheels at 18x 9.5 for interests sake. not massively happy about how quickly tyres went with that amount of camber.

basically, what would grip more (assuming same tyre and conditions)

235 with -2.5 camber OR 225 with -1 camber.

What i have done is roll and widened the rear guards so i can run -1 camber with 255/40r17 tyres so i would go that way so u could run wider tyres and it is also ilgeal to put a 225 on a 9.5 wheel

Legal or not doesn't bother me. Rear guards are already rolled and ever so slightly pumped. I think as I have no concrete answers I might just stick with the 235, as I think the 225 will look too thin

Legal or not doesn't bother me. Rear guards are already rolled and ever so slightly pumped. I think as I have no concrete answers I might just stick with the 235, as I think the 225 will look too thin

The concrete answer is to get a rim with the correct offset & one whose width matches the tyre. Then run a camber number closer to one degree than three.