SAU Community

Camping Event - Late April - Thoughts required please

R31Nismoid

Ok ladies/gents.

There was talk about a SAU-Camping event again on Sat.

ie, down GOR, camp the night, then move onto the 12 Apostles and the other tourist style sights on that part of the GOR that you really cant do in one whole day.

This is something you will have to committ 100% too.

Cant have pikers, and it will require a deposit etc etc.

I was thinking around the 24th April, 3 weeks after MAS to give everyone a few weeks off for rest and relaxation and so-on.

We'd stay close to Apollo Bay at a camping ground i know of, that is very secure for valuable cars like ours.

So the element of security wont be a problem.

The location would be given out to those who actually committ of course.

Just to keep it relatively safe etc.

It'd be a later (11am) departure and probably head to Apollo Bay Hotel for beers/dinner etc.

And then more beers and all the comes with it at the camping ground.

What are peoples thoughts?

Any ideas to be thrown around ? ? ?

I know this is a bit early, but something like this needs a bit of planning.

There are a few fishing spots.

There is sea (obviously) and fresh water places.

*The harbour pier

*Surf Fishing

*boat (if you bring one yourself you can do that)

*off the rocks too.

*local fresh water estuaries etc.

I know of lots, dunno how successful you'll be at getting something of an edible size.

But i can certainly show you the areas to go. That's easy done.

Depending on the tides, i'll be able to go and pick-up some good amounts of Abalone for a BBQ ;)

I have a few places where they can be found but i aint telling no-one over this forum where they are hiding. hehehe!

There is also good surf fishing for Salmon about 10 mins from where we are...

But i dunno when salmon season is :) so i cant help too much.

Sounds good ash. Just set the date and i'm there.

I'm thinking you're going to need a fair bit of planning for camping room if it ends up as big as Saturdays GOR cruise.

My car will well and truely be back on the road by then so my hand is up. Let me know if you guys need a hand planning anything mate.

Adam

Sounds good ash. Just set the date and i'm there.

I'm thinking you're going to need a fair bit of planning for camping room if it ends up as big as Saturdays GOR cruise.

Let me know if you guys need a hand planning anything mate.

Adam

I very much doubt we'll get 45 committed people to camping.

Well im secretly hoping we dont lol!

It'll be a logistics nightmare.

But nothing that cant be done of course with some planning ;)

But in a few weeks i'll go for a quick run down to the camp site (when i get my car back too incidently)

I'll get all their brochures and let them know we might have a reasonable booking coming up to get the ball rolling. See how much of a deposit (if any) they require etc.

So if anyone wants to come for quick belt one morning PM me to keep it outta this thread.

You can come for the food if you like ;)

That's provided i can get it... see, it's dependant on the low tide.

That's the only problem.

As for Camping Equipment... it'll be totally BYO, unless you can find someone to tent it with.

BBQ's etc, is something that we'll look at separately.

It's upto you if a swag will be enough. If it rains, you'll look like a drowned rat in the morning though...

I am definately interested, and keen. Haven't been campin for ages, due to the duck season :D being on hold. I'll bring the marshmellows!!

Would you have any objection to staging another cruise down to Apollo Bay, then the people that want to camp continue up, the others just head back home.

If nothing happens (future is unpredictable) my car would be more than ready to handle the twists, with the new suspension and braking mods :).

damn... would love to come but got no campin equipment

Go to K-Mart and pick a tent up for cheap! Actually I think I have a spare 2 man tent if any people are really keen but dont have one.

For that matter my main tent is so massive it can sleep about 10! :wassup:

:)

i have a 3 man tent that ill use and i think i also got a spare 2 man someone can borrow, then just byo matress and pillow/blanket etc, fark its camping it aint luxury, i guarantee we wont sleep coz we'll be that pissed!!! i know i will be :)