SAU Community

First Speeding Fine. How Do I Get Out Of It?

bob182

Hey guys. I got a speeding fine in the mail about a month ago but with a 21st, work, a poor memory and no organisation skills its taken me until now to wite a letter to contest the fine or have it reduced to a warning.

I was done by a car on the side of the road. Recorded speed was 58 and alledged was brought down to 55.

It's my first fine since getting my P's 2 years ago (Admittedly not a great deal of time) but a few mates said that since it was a first offence and under 10km's over, I should be able to get off. But having not written a letter themselves or simply forgetting what they wrote, they werent much help in telling me what to write.

Anyone had any experience in the same situation? Any suggestions on what I should be writing?

Worst part is that it's a couple of streets from my house, I always see the car/camera there and I'm usually making a concious effort to drive 5 km under the limit past it.

Edit: Fine was $159 dollars and 1 point

Edited by bob182

I might just pay up now. I'm working full time and I can't see myself getting into any real trouble with demerit points in the next few years of P-Plates.

As a side note. I am all for speed cameras, but since I was caught on a staight, empty road at mid day in good weather conditions, maybe police need to start thinking about putting them in areas where speeding is actually dangerous. But I cant complain. Done worse withut being picked up in the earlier days of P-Plate driving. probably why my corolla over-heated

I might just pay up now. I'm working full time and I can't see myself getting into any real trouble with demerit points in the next few years of P-Plates.

As a side note. I am all for speed cameras, but since I was caught on a staight, empty road at mid day in good weather conditions, maybe police need to start thinking about putting them in areas where speeding is actually dangerous. But I cant complain. Done worse withut being picked up in the earlier days of P-Plate driving. probably why my corolla over-heated

Don't worry bout it mate you will NEVER get out of a SPEEDING fine unless (and I'm not reccommending this in the slightest) you have someone take the points/fine for you.

As for all other demerit offences (not hooning stuff) you can opt for a summons as opposed to an on the spot fine/demerits. That's always good if you need to delay things a bit :happy:

lol...i did...saved me the cash but that as only because i was able to prove wrong speed signs...some place in the country side....cant remember where but was a while ago....

but in general you made a mistake...n got caught...so learn ur lesson and pay for it...

Off your high horse everyone!

Read this Bob... http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?document_id=10369

Sounds like those criteria accord with your circumstances, so you should be able to get out of it. Writing the letter should be reasonably straightforward, so long as you are reasonably coherent.

Good luck, and stop speeding :domokun:

• Like 2

I wrote a letter and I had my fine reduced to a warning (no points deducted either). See the web page as linked above. You need to admit your fault, and refer to the fact that you have not had a fine or pardon within the last 3 years.

When I was let off the 5kph fine I had not had a fine previously for over 5 years. The previous one was for 24kph over, and the one about a year before that was 11kph over.

Getting out of a fine is not hard. Being on P's didnt used to do you any favours (and infact they used to honor the fine and points) but times might have changed. As much as it frustrates me to plead guilty and ask for forgiveness in the 4kph over on a highway bracket, the issuing officer has always written back a warning and removed the 1 point and fine.

If its your first offence under 10km over you will get out of it just as other said admit you made mistake say was split second of carelessness and you have learnt from it blah blah and if you could please have a warning. I did it on my first offense on my Ps got off.

Thanks for responses guys. I may as well take 10 minutes to write a letter. I cant have any complaints if it doesnt work.

Seems worth a shot.

I'll post back in a few days or whenever I get a response

MATE!! all these people on here are all wankers.. majority of them are gunna tell you.. pay the fine learn ur lesson.. but you know what cause they dont have any balls to stand up and cheat the law like 95% of people do f**k them.. do it for yourself what havet you got to loose nothing... you loose the contest you pay the fine. you win you dont pay ... trial n error dont worry bout these tools who have no idea how t5o get out of one... go to a mechanic and heyll help u out..