SAU Community

Max Power For Rb26 Block

tricstar

What about doing a partial grout fill of the block?

Everthing ive read about blocks cracking had to do with over 400kw combined with big launches. So its more of a twisting issue than a harmonic issue that was causing the blocks to fail.

I think a grout fill combined with a plate like Baron is suggesting it could be pretty dam strong. If you then wanted to go completely over board you could sleeve all 6 cylinders, then grout fill and bore, AND use the torque plate.

Depending on your climate, and your fuel (and especially if your running E85), I'd see no reason you couldn't do a fill to just above the welsh plugs. This is done prior to the rebore of course.

The last 05u block I sleeved broke through into water jackets on all 6 cylinders around the height of the welsh plugs, which tells me that if you bore to 92mm (for the sleeve), your cylinders are getting pretty thin at 87.5. ie < 1.5-2mm.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about doing a partial grout fill of the block?

Everthing ive read about blocks cracking had to do with over 400kw combined with big launches. So its more of a twisting issue than a harmonic issue that was causing the blocks to fail.

I think a grout fill combined with a plate like Baron is suggesting it could be pretty dam strong. If you then wanted to go completely over board you could sleeve all 6 cylinders, then grout fill and bore, AND use the torque plate.

Depending on your climate, and your fuel (and especially if your running E85), I'd see no reason you couldn't do a fill to just above the welsh plugs. This is done prior to the rebore of course.

The last 05u block I sleeved broke through into water jackets on all 6 cylinders around the height of the welsh plugs, which tells me that if you bore to 92mm (for the sleeve), your cylinders are getting pretty thin at 87.5. ie < 1.5-2mm.

I always thought it was the harmonics that cracked the blocks, if its from big launches I can't believe this one hasn't cracked yet...

bit of both sounds like a good option, if I go the 26/30 i have to have the plate anyway and I don't surpose the grout would be a huge amount more.

as for climate and fuel, just bp98 and in perth, so does get bloody hot, like at the moment, so does that mean you wouldn't fill it so high, with the grout?

How hot is a hot day, and do you run an air-con system with condensor in front of the radiator?

The more grout you have, the less watercooling you have, and therefore the hotter the block core temp and oils will become. 35 degrees and no aircon wouldnt be a problem, but on a hot day in traffic with aircon the cooling system would struggle. Keep in mind that the largest heat exchanger that easily fits the front of the car is the radiator. Its not easily possible to create an oil cooler enough to make enough difference.

I'd suggest doing a search on grouting, and seeing how high others have filled their blocks. I believe below the welsh plugs is common. I've personally gone above the plugs but my block is also taller with longer rods. As a result the liners in the block are exposed to combustion heat further up the cylinder than with a normal engine.

RB30 blocks benefit from a partial fill as much as any other block. Rigidity adds torsional strength and dampons harmonics.