SAU Community

R34 Gtr Build

My god I can't believe I only came across this thread now!

Amazing build quality and attention to detail. I think a lot of people don't realise the amount of time and money that goes into R&D and if you have the means to do so (judging by you owning a Z Tune I think your means are more than capable :P ) then why not.

Very eager to see how this goes.

Also can you go into a little bit more detail on the compressed air into the manifold via a port on idle? Never heard of this being done and sounds very interesting.

Great work :thumbsup:

Pistons :rolleyes:

...also, on your dry sump tank is that a built in filter block on your scavange return?

It wont be too long for the piston pics just waiting for the mms to my phone.

Its just a very course guaze filter for any large particles.

My god I can't believe I only came across this thread now!

Amazing build quality and attention to detail. I think a lot of people don't realise the amount of time and money that goes into R&D and if you have the means to do so (judging by you owning a Z Tune I think your means are more than capable :P ) then why not.

Very eager to see how this goes.

Also can you go into a little bit more detail on the compressed air into the manifold via a port on idle? Never heard of this being done and sounds very interesting.

Great work :thumbsup:

Hi Phil,

Thak you for your comments.

The air fitting will be placed underneath the collector that will point to each side of the twine scroll entry turbine housing. This will be connected to a compressed Air cylinder in the car, and will be activated via a air solenoid at idle, this will spin the turbine wheel to form boost. An easy way to remove turbo Lag ( will only be used for drag racing).

If you need more info do let me know.

Very interesting! Is that something that you guys thought of or is it more commonly done? Only reason I ask is I have never heard of doing something like that to achieve an antilag system.

Very interesting! Is that something that you guys thought of or is it more commonly done? Only reason I ask is I have never heard of doing something like that to achieve an antilag system.

It has been used in the past by Rally cars in the olden days ( not sure if it was legal) Just like the bathurst R32 gtr used to use the fire extinguisher as a cooling agent for the intercoolers

Now thats a hard to come by item. I wouldnt mind one of those myself! Do you have the extra fin assembly that goes over the sheet?

Yeah i have the whole kit just testing it if it fits with the fuel cooler and i have all the dry sump lines and fuel lines running under the car also.

Nice car, good to see people going to the n'th degree on performance.

But after spending 10k on an exhaust manifold, you have off the shelf cams and a near standard head?

Surley there is more to be gained playing with real performance cams and not the average stuff the japs come up with.

Im sure you have your reasons, but if it were me I wouldve saved 9k on a manifold and spent that playing with cams/head combos.

Well actually if it were me I wouldve bought a 2nd hand JUDD V8 lol

But like I said im sure you have your reasons for doing it as you did.

Nice car, good to see people going to the n'th degree on performance.

But after spending 10k on an exhaust manifold, you have off the shelf cams and a near standard head?

Surley there is more to be gained playing with real performance cams and not the average stuff the japs come up with.

Im sure you have your reasons, but if it were me I wouldve saved 9k on a manifold and spent that playing with cams/head combos.

Well actually if it were me I wouldve bought a 2nd hand JUDD V8 lol

But like I said im sure you have your reasons for doing it as you did.

Well the head did not need much work at all, the head was ported and flow tested to achieve maximum flow all this costed alot of money and time. The cams are of the shelf as they are the correct cams for the setup. I know 10K is alot of money however,think about how much money is spent in R&D when a new car is designed.

Yes i agree V8 is the way to go !!!

Soon will have the car finished and will updated any info i have about the build nothing to hide in this build.

This was on a waveblaster with a 800cc bore with the lot billet crank forged pistons billet head nd so on. Oh this is a 93 model design so its very old. The squish was like 1.1 mm huge john remade the cup's closed it down not sure what he closed it down. The guy tunning had build so many waveblasters and tunned many of them when he went to tune this one it used smaller jets then a standard ski. As you can see now the later design 2stroke have that close squish.

This ski could only be run on avgas previously now i can run it on 98RON its one crazy ski.

Actually going down in jet sizes on any performance two stroke is not a mystery at all. I port and build alot of two stroke Yamaha engines in fact I have made my career from it . The higher the airspeed through the carb the greater the depression across the jet this means the more the fuel will flow out of the same jet. he would have gone down to about .75 of a mm at the tightest as anymore than this and the msv will be off the roof unless you are running titanium rods, thus eliminating rod stretch.

There is some interesting things happening in this thread some great craftsmanship. John truly is an artist at fabrication. Im not sure I agree with all his theories but thats the ok. It will be interesting seeing the finial result.

Actually going down in jet sizes on any performance two stroke is not a mystery at all. I port and build alot of two stroke Yamaha engines in fact I have made my career from it . The higher the airspeed through the carb the greater the depression across the jet this means the more the fuel will flow out of the same jet. he would have gone down to about .75 of a mm at the tightest as anymore than this and the msv will be off the roof unless you are running titanium rods, thus eliminating rod stretch.

There is some interesting things happening in this thread some great craftsmanship. John truly is an artist at fabrication. Im not sure I agree with all his theories but thats the ok. It will be interesting seeing the finial result.

Good to see someone who has explained the 2 stroke theory . I would love for you to see this ski its Tod hunters old ski yami waveblaster with all the goodies you can think off.

I am extremly curious on where you disagree on johns theories, best ask the question so i can ask him and get you more info about it unless i know the answer.

Yeah I know of the ski. Put a picture of the engne bay and I will be able to see what spec or at least what alot of its.

There has been some major updating in the case portings since that ski was built which add greatly to them if you decide you want a bit more.But i am assuming its an r&d cylinder with a 8mm stroke crank.

The main thing I am talking about with regard to your 34 engine is the money spent but then not looking at the v-cam. The reason is will give you a wider spread of power this is why in sports sedans if you run variable cam timing they hit you with a weight penalty. The benefit is you can run a larger cam up top and get more power but still have the lower rpm characteristics. Personally I would also be looking at the efr borg warner turbo

Yeah I know of the ski. Put a picture of the engne bay and I will be able to see what spec or at least what alot of its.

There has been some major updating in the case portings since that ski was built which add greatly to them if you decide you want a bit more.But i am assuming its an r&d cylinder with a 8mm stroke crank.

The main thing I am talking about with regard to your 34 engine is the money spent but then not looking at the v-cam. The reason is will give you a wider spread of power this is why in sports sedans if you run variable cam timing they hit you with a weight penalty. The benefit is you can run a larger cam up top and get more power but still have the lower rpm characteristics. Personally I would also be looking at the efr borg warner turbo

Below is the pic of the ski.

Since i have owned it , i have repainted it from its ugly paint work. And i have had the motor rebuilt with more usable power, used to have huge 48mm carbs now its got 38mm, not as high comp so i can run normal fuel as before i could only run it on avgas. Also has alot of other work done to it.

post-49633-0-78829800-1303616172_thumb.jpg

post-49633-0-22527700-1303616203_thumb.jpg

I have spoken to John about runnig the V-cam he said you dont need to as it is a stroker will give you power over the range and with the correct cam selection and the right squish it will be responsive down low. Also i know using a V-cam is limited on cam choice. If you think i should use a borg warner turbo ok do they supply compressor maps? If not then we cannot use it. The turbonetic turbo we have is a high pressure ratio turbo same as what they used in F1. Also can you tell me the advantages of a borg warner turbo over the one we are using. I can post a compressure map for this turbo.

-ok the pictures tell me its the orginal cylinder on that ski. it has a limited spec factory b-pipe with a twist girdle head. the twist girdle head was made by msd back in the day.

48s are a bit harder to tune but when tuned right will give you alot of torque. Its stands to reason that the 38s will require smaller jets as the engine is bigger and the air speed in the 38s is higher then the 701 engine they came off. Thats the old r&d intake manifold on there and thats why it didnt go as well as it could of with the 48s, did the 48s have a purple top on them. If so it was buckshots and should be placed in a bin hahaha. they were good in there day but that was a long time ago.

Efr borgwarner turbos are just new out (2011) and have been totally redesigned for a performance car application, i suggest you look at this. f1 cars had turbos banned in 1989 thats 22 years ago, there has been alot of development since that time.

Go here and you will see the efr turbos and there specs. I suggest you get John to have a good look at it

A stroker will have more torque I agree but if your spending 10 on an exhaust manifold I am at a loss why you wouldnt use the benefit of the v-cam as well as the stroker. you can also use a more aggressive camshaft and get more up top than you could by using the camshafts you have now. variable cam timing is about giving you the best of both worlds. You could buy a blank of hks and get your specs ground on to the cam.

yes they do. you can see it running down the side of the hull on the picture.

Its painted black. Here is a couple of my old race engines so you can see the pipes.

Sorry to the hope this doesnt offend by posting off topic pics

IMG_3274-1.jpg

Picture059.jpg

super1.jpg