SAU Community

Do I Need A Aftermarket Ecu To Reach 450-500Hp ?

Hello.

I found out that the RB25DET engine from the R33 would handle just fine up to 500HP with stock internals.

I have ordered a Garett E50 turbokit (including ex wastegate and aftermarket manifold) which I will install in few weeks. I'm aiming to reach 450-500HP (less for rwhp)

Would this be possible with the stock nissan ECU without risk to damage the engine? Or do I need to upgrade the ecu and get it remapped ?

Thanks in advance.

Car spec:

Rebuild engine not long ago

Stock head gasket

CP Forged pistons (stock bore size)

3" exhaust + decat

Induction kit + blow off

Aftermarket intercooler, and oil cooler

GTR fuel pump

Probably got aftermarket clutch

Bee R rev limiter

Edited by Iceman22

I can't tell if you're trolling or serious.....either way I'm sorry but honestly I don't think it deserves any answer but...

Thread closed. Believe it or not, but since SAU started more than 7 years ago, this topic has been discussed before.

Please use the search function in future. It may be found here:

http://www.skylinesa...earch_in=forums

While we understand that it can be frustrating to have your thread closed - Please consider that other members may feel it to be disrespectful and selfish of you to post a simple question, without using the search feature to review the wealth of information provided by said members over the years.

If you still feel that this action is unjust, then please PM me and we can discuss it further.

nah don't bother with a tune... i'm sure it will sort itself out fine.... most people here spend a couple grand on their motor and never bother with a tune....

^that is sarcasm...

here is some actual info that I hope is useful and you are not trolling...

1. a RB25DET cannot handle 500hp on stock internals, perhaps you are thinking of the RB26DETT where the rods can handle over 400kw....

2. You always need a tune when upgrading engine components.

3. You will need decent injectors to go with the stuff above and a new air flow meter that can cope with the extra air being sucked in.....

4. Bee R will eventually f*ck your motor....

BTW.... WTF's happend to my sig? I didn't touch it....

Bee-R Rev Limiter?

Man you must be A-Mer-Re-Can..

Question, if you bolted a vagina and removed your penis, would your brain know how to operate it?

maddest avatar!

just replace the ecu with home old VCR you used to probably have. proven over 700BHP with some simple rewiring.

here is some actual info that I hope is useful and you are not trolling...

1. a RB25DET cannot handle 500hp on stock internals, perhaps you are thinking of the RB26DETT where the rods can handle over 400kw....

2. You always need a tune when upgrading engine components.

3. You will need decent injectors to go with the stuff above and a new air flow meter that can cope with the extra air being sucked in.....

4. Bee R will eventually f*ck your motor....

BTW.... WTF's happend to my sig? I didn't touch it....

+1 you must get a tune and the rest of the necessary gear to do job.

ECU, AFM, injectors, fuel pump, etc.

See a tuner about what you will need.

Lol, now you are making fun of me already? ;)

I'm sorry that the question is a bit lame, but its hard to get professional answer regarding my question.

I'm not a troll, and about the bee R, I have seen different opinions about it, and I will only use it with low setting (short ignition cut) for not risk damaging anything.

Back to the topic, would you guys recommend to use the Nistune tuning suite, and let the local dealer tune it ?

Edited by Iceman22

Yes. Nistune would be the best option, but not so much with an R33. You need to use it with either a Z32 300zx ECU or R32 GTS-T ECU w/ separate VCT switch to keep variable inlet cam timing.

I'd past the Nismoid shit again, but you already know by now - do a search, there's a huge thread on Nistune in this section

Ok... So what would you recommend instead of the Nistune?

I know that the apexi power FC is a good choice already, but isn't it a other alternative that is good for less price ?

I found a TOMEI stage1 ecu for a good price, but not sure if it can be retuned for my setup..

Edited by Iceman22

Power FC is possibly the easiest and most widely supported, but Apexi discontinued production of it for the R33 GTS-T...so you either pay something stupid for it or buy it second hand.

Personally I'm running a ViPEC v44 plug and play ECU. It's worth roughly $1800 though...there are other options, but Nistune would probably be the cheapest.

+1 sick of people chasing high horsepower on the cheap. You ALWAYS end up paying for it in the end anyway, why make yourself look cheap in the first place ;)

That said, I have a 386 motherboard you can use, may or may not be compatible with the Nistune.

Ok thanks for the info, now I consider too cancel my order on the turbo until I get a larger wallet ... :whistling:

Buying cheap parts that is not good for this car is not a option for me, will regret it anyways later. (have done it and will never do it again)

Last question, how much HP could I achieve with this garrett turbo with stock ecu, and stock injectors, without risk to damage the engine? Probably around 400hp max ?

Edited by Iceman22

Ok thanks for the info, now I consider too cancel my order on the turbo until I get a larger wallet ... :whistling:

Buying cheap parts that is not good for this car is not a option for me, will regret it anyways later. (have done it and will never do it again)

Last question, how much HP could I achieve with this garrett turbo with stock ecu, and stock injectors, without risk to damage the engine? Probably around 400hp max ?

mate you are not reading any of the previous posts are you

any modification you should get a tune. i have stock turbo stock injectors. i have wound the boost up to 12psi did i leave it no i got a ecu and tuned it. mate if its the wallet stopping you start off with ecu then go bigger turbo and injectors. do the build slowly. did i i build my car in 1 month no neither did most of us. took majority of us years and lots of saving to get where we are. heck took me 2 years almost just to afford to do a engine conversion. take your time start off with minor mods the get bigger.

AND NO MORE ONE LAST QUESTIONS IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

The standard injectors and standard air flow meter run out around 220-230rwkw (~300rwhp).

DO NOT fit a different turbo if you dont intend on getting the ecu remapped.

Go here:

http://www.skyline-owners-club.com/forums/17490-nissan-skyline-r33-gts-t-tuning-guide.html

Also are lots of good threads here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/66556-forced-induction-quick-ref-guide/

If you want to go real cheap you can always use Apexi S-AFC + Apexi S-ITC alongside the standard ECU. I ran these on my car with a GT3582BB, Z32 AFM and 740cc injectors and it made 480hp perfectly fine. Infact, a lot of people thought that it wouldn't even idle properly due to the large injectors but mine idled quite fine and ran well for 12+ months at that power level. Although this is something that i personally don't recommend anymore because there's not a lot of workshops that will tune this setup nowadays, I had to ring at least 10 workshops in victoria to find one who will still do it (glad i did because now i won't use any other workshop again, very happy with my current tuner). It's old technology and plus it won't give you a lot of the features that a complete aftermarket ECU will. But if you want cheap, then this is the cheapest you're ever likely gonna get!

Edited by GT32

Thanks for the replies, now I finally know what to do when talking about upgrades for the car.

If you want to go real cheap you can always use Apexi S-AFC + Apexi S-ITC alongside the standard ECU. I ran these on my car with a GT3582BB, Z32 AFM and 740cc injectors and it made 480hp perfectly fine. Infact, a lot of people thought that it wouldn't even idle properly due to the large injectors but mine idled quite fine and ran well for 12+ months at that power level. Although this is something that i personally don't recommend anymore because there's not a lot of workshops that will tune this setup nowadays, I had to ring at least 10 workshops in victoria to find one who will still do it (glad i did because now i won't use any other workshop again, very happy with my current tuner). It's old technology and plus it won't give you a lot of the features that a complete aftermarket ECU will. But if you want cheap, then this is the cheapest you're ever likely gonna get!

I see, here I live I only know about two workshops that tune ECU's, I know they do the powerFC but I doubt they do these you meantion, but I have to ask ... thanks for the tip.

OP, what country are you from?

Norway... snow is soon gone, and drift season is soon starting, so would be fun to get more power, even though 300hp is enough.

Edited by Iceman22