SAU Community

R34 Legal Questions

Hi all,

I was just hoping any of you know if carbon fibre bonnets and coilovers are legal to use on a R34 GTT in ACT or am i going to be defected?

Many thanks!

Cheers

Coilovers generally require an engineers certificate to demonstrate that they comply with the Australian Design Rules (ADR's) with regards to suspension travel, ride height, eyebrow height (the height from the centre of the hub to the top of the inner guard), and clearance from rubbing on full lock and full suspension travel. Height adjustable coilovers should be marked across the threads and spring perches so that an inspector (cops or rego) can identify if the heights been raised since the time of last rego inspection (to defect you!). My engineers cert was around $700, but i had a bigger suite of mods than you, think about getting one for peace of mind

All that being said it depends upon whether or not you need to be inspected upon transfer of registration or not. If you don't need a vehicle identity check then your mods won't be seen by the rego inspectors, and if you get a friendly local mechanic you should be alright. The cops around town are a mixed bag, and it depends on when and where you drive your liner and how you do so. What won't help is big chromies or a excessively loud exhaust.

Have no idea about Carbon Bonnets, but I imagine they'd be looking to see you have a 'secondary restraint' meaning that it takes two actions to open the bonnet, the pull cable in the cabin followed by the lifting the catch is ussually enough, if the catch is gone, then bonnet pins are OK (concealed type, not sharp protusion type). But as I said have no idea...

Worth considering also is that Teh Federal Department of Infrastructure and transport (forgotten what they're called these days) is looking at introducing a National Code of Pratice (NCOP) for light vehicle modifications.

Edited by Broken_R31

Just don't have it ridiculously low and I doubt you'll ever have a problem. I've got coilovers in my R33 at the moment, but when I got them fitted I asked the dude to raise the car if he believed that would be more practical lol. Just make sure you're easily over 100mm at the lowest point above ground, and you're sweet. 130mm would be preferable

I've had height adjustable coilovers in my 34 since I've had it. I made the previous owner take it past Dickson before buying it and they had no issue with them. Have been inspected roadside a few times since and never had issues with them either. YMMV.