SAU Community

Sales Disclosure Form - New Car Purchase

bcl

I ordered a new GTR at the end of last year, which should be arriving in a months time.

I attach a form which was given to me 2 weeks ago to sign. It is dated 27 January, 2011and I am now told that it is a condition of sale for all new vehicles, and I have to sign it now if I want my car, even though my contract pre-dated the date of this new document.

It outlines operational aspects of the car, and maintenance and warranty conditions and coverage.

Is this a new document from Nissan, or has it been applicable to previous models?

I'm not sure if it is indicating a crackdown on any modifications by stating (page 10, interesting page) that in the case of "vehicles with illegal and unauthorized modifications" that Nissan's policy is that "maintenance services cannot be performed".

Nissan provide "free" maintenance inspections at 2000km, 12, 24 & 36 months, that appear to be mandatory to protect warranty. Any parts replacement will be chargeable.

However, there are situations where you will be charged for the maintenance inspection:

- e.g replace standard parts with non-genuine Nissan parts e.g exhaust, wheel or brakes or tyre changes, during which time warranty is voided.

- e.g drive with VDC off

My interpretation (page 10) is that warranty is voided if there is a parts failure whilst you are driving around the track. e.g take the the car to a Nissan drive day and you will not be covered for say transmission failure.

I do not find the wording very clear at all. It is indicating that if you take the car around the circuit that warranty is voided from that time until such time as you take the car back to the dealer for a maintenance service that you have to pay for.

The cars "Vehicle Status Data Recorder" will be checked to see if the car has been modified or operating outside of normal boundaries.

Brian

NE 11MY GOM Customer Agreement 27.01.11.pdf

Edited by bcl

I haven't looked at your PDF but it sounds like the document we've all signed (ADM owners). Ie. "normal"

They should really tell you about these conditions when you buy the car (before you sign a contract) however I am sure if would likely baulk too many new prospective buyers....

From a warranty perspective there really isn't much difference with most other manufacturers ie. If you break it on the track, don't expect Nissan to fix it. The 'gotcha' in this case is the post track inspection, where they will download all fluid temp history, and thence make you replace them if you have exceeded thresholds. This wasn't for me, so I essentially threw away my warranty, because in the end, if you break it at the track, you have the factor in the worst case/likely scenario (you'll have to pay anyway). I am sure there are cases where Nissan replaced track abused bits, but for me I just didn't think it was worth it.

If you're going to regularly track the car, the whole track inspection thing (and subsequent costs) just wouldn't work. I think you're better off finding a great mechanic and ditching the warranty. But if you're only doing one or two track days per year... Perhaps stick with warranty and all the constraints that come with it. It should be said that you can acquire superior fluids and components and other consumables far cheaper than anything Nissan would put in your car. They is a huge aftermarket for this car now.

Edited by LSX-438

Despite their efforts, it goes without saying that you can't add conditions to a contract after it has been signed unless both parties agree - and of course the manufacturer's "warranty" does not remove their obligations under the various Fair Trading acts, ie the goods must be fit for the purpose they were sold.

As Duncan says, this form has been around in one form or another since the first ADM R35 orders were placed for the '09 models.

Some people have found Nissan dealerships to be little more lenient than the document suggest for very minor mods and track use though this is by no means universal.

Thanks guys.

This car will be my 9th brand new turbo car purchase since 1984, but certainly the first time a manufacturer has really tried to clarify what is required to support and maintain the car.

It goes without saying that the GTR is at a level well beyond any of my previous cars.

Brian

I attach a form which was given to me 2 weeks ago to sign. It is dated 27 January, 2011and I am now told that it is a condition of sale for all new vehicles, and I have to sign it now if I want my car, even though my contract pre-dated the date of this new document.

Is this a new document from Nissan, or has it been applicable to previous models?

My interpretation (page 10) is that warranty is voided if there is a parts failure whilst you are driving around the track. e.g take the the car to a Nissan drive day and you will not be covered for say transmission failure.

I do not find the wording very clear at all. It is indicating that if you take the car around the circuit that warranty is voided from that time until such time as you take the car back to the dealer for a maintenance service that you have to pay for.

I was asked to sign a basic disclaimer when I signed the contract but then they sprung a more onerous one on me when I went to take delivery. I refused to sign the second one as I already had a contractl. So you do NOT have to sign this to take delivery as they would be breaching the contract by attempting to change the Ts and Cs after the contract was signed. In fact you are in an even better position than I was as it appears they haven't made you sign anything yet! You think they would have learnt from their previous experience with the 09s and not been so slack making this disclaimer available earlier..

This one you've attached is even more "draconian" than the one they wanted me to sign. I'm surprised they don't void the warranty if you fart in the car because the increased cabin temp may prevent the dissipation of excess exhaust heat causing the rear muffler to melt! The only area they appear to have backed off on is in the brakes. With the 09s they insisted that even if one axle's pads needed to be changed then you had to change 4 rotors and all pads! I suspect they got bitten by this one with some pads cracking through no fault of the owner and it was costing Nissan more than they would recoup from brake replacement as part of normal maintenance. MInd you now they've got a bet both ways. It's up to Nissan's discretion whether or not just pads can be changed. Very clever wording no doubt to allow them to suit themselves as they see fit.

You are correct that if you want to maintain warranty if you track the car you must carry out the pre and post inspections and you are not warrantied in between those inspections.

All up I'm still very dissappointed with the attitude of Nissan compared with a company such as Porsche who actively encourage their owners to track their cars and maintain full warranty before during and after as long as the car shows no evidence of obvious "abuse". And I still am not 100% sure why Nissan lower fluid levels such as engine oil and brakes before the track day.....Has anyone asked them?

Edited by fungoolie

I thought i recognised the username.. still got the f6's brian? I met you at tunehouse one day & followed the builds on xr6turbo.

Martin a standard GTR might even be a step down from the fords he had in a straight line.

Bcl good to see you getting into an overall highperformance pacakage. It will be a revelation after the Fords!

Thanks Martin. The 1000HP motor in the XR6 was a mismatch for the rest of the car. Basically the Ford is a taxi, although comfortable, and will never ever be a sports car. That Ford project was fun, as we started in mid 2003 with no mods whatever (not even an ecu crack or piggyback) and 180rwkw, to over 600rwkw 3 years later…. Spent a lot of money and broke lots of parts along the way, and plenty of R&D. I remember your help (2005 I think) for me along the way when we were trying to get the US vendor (SCT) to get the variable cam timing adjustment working with the flash tune, after I migrated from Motec.

Also big power really needs awd.

Nissan base parts appear to be very strong. I note your involvement with the GTR, and some of the weak points if power is tobe increased. Seems you've got some good parts available.

I'm really excited about getting hold of the newGTR. The 2010 demo that I test drove was just so good, powerful, well balanced, well equipped and easy to drive in stock form.

It's a pleasant change to get a car, and find that there are already plenty of go fast options available.

Brian

I thought i recognised the username.. still gotthe f6's brian? I met you at tunehouse one day & followed the builds onxr6turbo.

Martin a standard GTR might even be a step downfrom the fords he had in a straight line.

Yep, kept the same username.

I still have 2 high powered Ford F6's, one will be for sale shortly, as well as 2 STi's, one to be used for circuit racing this year.

I did do a 138mph pass at full weight on street tyres (not semi slicks) in the manual F6; the auto F6 daily driver has done132mph on pump fuel and 11.0 flat quarter.

It would be far easier to get to that level inthe GTR. I believe the new GTR will do around 11.1 sec and 125 mph stock standard, and would be very easy to get over 130mph trap speed with minimal mods.

I'll take it to wsid after I get it to see what it will do.

However, I have a view that the GTR is far more suited for circuit work than straight line squirts, as it is a drivers car.

Tunehouse, who arguably have one of the best dyno room setups in the country, are very eager to get hold of the new GTR, as they are a Akrapovic distributor and premium HKS Pro dealer. The Akavopvic Tiexhaust may be my first mod; ref

Brian

Edited by bcl