SAU Community

How Much Power Should I Expect?

afternoon guys,

about a month ago i purchased my 1994 R33 GTS-T.

ok so the reason for this post is there is a dyno/show and shine day coming up on the 26th and i want to know a rough power figure of what i should see my car push out.

only MODS are,,

FMIC

Full exhaust from turbo back with split dump.

BOV

E-boost controller only running 8pound on all 3 stages tho, (yet to get that tuned as it come like that in the car)

any replies much appreciated.

Ben.

post-81751-0-53477700-1300090135_thumb.jpg

seeing as its running on the standard ECU and the series 1 ecu at that i wouldnt expect much.

if it seems to run well and pull right throughout the rev range id say 190-200hp atw,

if it does the standard ecu thing and goes really flat after about 5000rpm due to your mods n boost then i would expect less...

my feeling is that mods like exhaust and FMIC dont do much to skylines unless you have a happy ecu which i have only ever seen ahppen in a series 2 motor.

good luck n tell us what you get... Or, even better, put it on there at 7psi (stock boost) n then do another run and try throwing 10 or 12psi into it n see if it actually makes a difference. AFR chart would be awesome too...

Nice looking 33 btw

Edited by jjman

thanks JJMAN.

it seems to run stong the whole way through the rev range. actually seems to pick up after 5,000 i think higher boost kicks in..? im new to all this turbo stuff tho.

ill post up the dyno print out and let you all know how it goes tho! looking forward to it!

ahhh, you should see some better numbers then as you missed the key ingredient in your parts line up.

You bet the Apexi safc will make a difference. Id say you should see at least 220hp (if it was indeed tuned to 8psi). That is why it pulls hard in the upper revs. Most stock ecu R33's, n particularly S1's, really fall over in the upper revs...

So i now backtrack on my last comment ans say DO NOT WIND THE BOOST UP!!! the SAFC is a unit that needs tuning and so will have been tuned in to a certain boost level- hopefully 8psi if that is what the controller is set at. Any more boost and it is possible you will ping the motor n even kill it. Do not ever f*k with the SAFC or the boost controller.

I would reccomend you find the place that did the SAFC install and confirm what they did n to what boost (get an power graph and AFR's). If you cant find them and get this info then find a reputable SAFC tuner and go in for a retune. People have blown up motors self tuning, driving with a bad tune or upping the boost on SAFC's.

Otherwise if you are chasing more power just pull the safc and get a Power FC or Nistune etc done n go for more boost (read up on the implications of this tho). Pretty easy to get his 200's hp on 12+psi tuned.

enjoy mate

Edited by jjman

yer i forgot about the SAFC haha.

i would have no idea where or when it was installed. so you recomend to keep the SAFC in the car? i haven't tried to up the boost or change the settings on the SAFC as i know if i do so it could lean the engine out and so on. but i plan to get it tuned when i have the money.

ok.. what are AFR's and Power FC? im guessing the second is an after market computer?

sorry for the stupid questions but this is why i joined the forum, to learn about all this stuff (:

cheers mate.

yer i forgot about the SAFC haha.

i would have no idea where or when it was installed. so you recomend to keep the SAFC in the car? i haven't tried to up the boost or change the settings on the SAFC as i know if i do so it could lean the engine out and so on. but i plan to get it tuned when i have the money.

ok.. what are AFR's and Power FC? im guessing the second is an after market computer?

sorry for the stupid questions but this is why i joined the forum, to learn about all this stuff (:

cheers mate.

AFR stands for air:fuel ratio. A measure of how much fuel:air in the cylinders. its measured by an aftermarket wideband oxygen sensor, in the exhaust. 14.7:1 (14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel) is the golden number where all the fuel ignites and is the most efficient point for petrol engines. Under boost/load, that number should drop down to 11.0-12.0, or even lower if the car is running rich. any number higher than 14.7 is lean, and any number below 14.7 is rich.

Power FC is an engine computer made by Apex'i. One of the best options for skylines and silvias. They plug in, offer full control and are fairly easy to tune.

p.s. SAFCs are pretty average. They only alter the air flow signal to the ECU, so they are no way a good tuning device. they are good for anything less than ~190wkw. Anything more than that and SAFC really isn't a smart choice.

AFR stands for air:fuel ratio. A measure of how much fuel:air in the cylinders. its measured by an aftermarket wideband oxygen sensor, in the exhaust. 14.7:1 (14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel) is the golden number where all the fuel ignites and is the most efficient point for petrol engines. Under boost/load, that number should drop down to 11.0-12.0, or even lower if the car is running rich. any number higher than 14.7 is lean, and any number below 14.7 is rich.

Power FC is an engine computer made by Apex'i. One of the best options for skylines and silvias. They plug in, offer full control and are fairly easy to tune.

p.s. SAFCs are pretty average. They only alter the air flow signal to the ECU, so they are no way a good tuning device. they are good for anything less than ~190wkw. Anything more than that and SAFC really isn't a smart choice.

im fairly sure mine is running rich as it smells fuely.. thats why i want to get it tuned and to set up the E-boost controller properly.

so how much would a Power FC set me back and do i need to get it dyno tuned??

Edited by BennyR33

I wouldnt assume it is running rich just beacuse you can smell fuel (u might have a decat pipe or knackered cat convertor). Also you will most likely be smelling exhaust at idle which is only indicative of your idle settings and perhaps health of your air flow meter and O2 sensor. Nonethelses, it is worth getting the tune checked...

Will id say you would be lucky to get into a Power FC, installation and tune (yes they do need to be tuned) for under 2k. While a retune on your SAFC would be a few hundred bucks...

If i were you id go for the retune and see if you can stay happy with that at the max power it will give you. otherwise. Or, if you have the money, go for a nistune or Power FC n 12-14psi (270-300hp). Though dont expect your turbo to last forever at this level so factor in that...

Edited by jjman

I wouldnt assume it is running rich just beacuse you can smell fuel (u might have a decat pipe or knackered cat convertor). Also you will most likely be smelling exhaust at idle which is only indicative of your idle settings and perhaps health of your air flow meter and O2 sensor. Nonethelses, it is worth getting the tune checked...

Will id say you would be lucky to get into a Power FC, installation and tune (yes they do need to be tuned) for under 2k. While a retune on your SAFC would be a few hundred bucks...

If i were you id go for the retune and see if you can stay happy with that at the max power it will give you. otherwise. Or, if you have the money, go for a nistune or Power FC n 12-14psi (270-300hp). Though dont expect your turbo to last forever at this level so factor in that...

2k aye? guess that will have to wait if that's the path i want to take. but for now i got other things i want to do firstly like tinted windows and sort out a new front bumper as the GTR repica one on it now is just to damn low. makes it impractical..

but anywho here's a pic some of you might enjoy.

oh and thanks for all the replies!!

Ben.

post-81751-0-26282100-1300165875_thumb.jpg

Edited by BennyR33

dont they come out standard with 186kw??? i remember reading it somewhere...

Maybe it's 186kW at the motor. That does not mean at the WHEELS. He said rwkw (rear wheel kilowatt); -- which is the number you'll get from a dyno.