SAU Community

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/know/news/e8c10b0e-4529-4d30-aeb5-b6e916d4a122

This article suggests that if a car club in Victoria accepts a LHD vehicle as a 'classic,' then it can be given club rego and that the 25 year 'rule' is merely a guide. Any thoughts on this? I know that most of the LHD current model Camaros are engineering mules but this guy claims some actualy have Victorian Club Permits. Also, I saw an Alfa Romeo 8C convertible, LHD, in Brighton a few weeks ago (yes, 100% sure that's what it was...). Didn't appear to have any plates but it got me thinking (obviously it's not here for engineering purposes because they're not planning to make that many).

Anywho, another question, why I got onto this is because I was looking at the mid 80s, $7,000 C4 Corvettes in America. I know you can get club plates for over 25 year old LHDs and full rego for over 30s. I also know that you cannot bring a new car into Australia and let it age until 30 and then get full rego. But, I want to know if you get club rego on a 25 year old car whether you can then graduate to full rego in 5 years time.

good question. to be honest you really need to ask that question in the only 2 places whose opinions count. first one is DIT (was DOTARS) and the second one is your states registration authority (Vic Roads). I'm not sure anyone on here will know a 100% answer and for something like this you really need the info straight from the source.