SAU Community

R34 Xenon Hid Headlight Illegal?

Flecher

Lol, it's hard to get pulled over BECAUSE of them... Most of the time that people get done is when they are already pulled over and cops just have nothing else on you, so they pick on your lights lol.

exactly~ basically my car is pretty stock~ those bunch of cops and vicroads inspectors just climbed inside out my car, checked inside out, nothing to pick on so just pick on my pod filter and lights, damm it~

They are supposed to be self levelling to be legal also, mine are one step better having a manual height adjustment on the dash.

my r34 had a switch with 4 positions to adjust the headlight level as well. pretty cool stuff :)

exactly~ basically my car is pretty stock~ those bunch of cops and vicroads inspectors just climbed inside out my car, checked inside out, nothing to pick on so just pick on my pod filter and lights, damm it~

Well.... Your car doesn't actually look THAT stock.... GTR front bar, black bonnet, custom sideskirts and rear pods :P

And yes, the 4 levels switch is pretty cool, it amazes lots of my friends lol

Any late model Euro car + the 300C, and soon to be every late model car. So I can't understand why updating to current safety standards in vehicle lighting is considered a state of unroadworthyness. To me it's like putting disc brakes on a drum brake car, or seatbelts in a car from the 50's.

And yes, if they can't find something immediately obvious, your lights + arbitrary intake mods will be scrutinised. I think 7 days is the norm for roadworthy things like lights to get fixed...it's EPA things that you have a fair more amount of time to clear it.

Aside from that though they already had you for 2 intake mods. So it's strange. Did u get a major? Going by ur 7 days thing... The police have been coming down hard with defects of late it seems...

yea luckily i got minor~ fix in 7 days~

This has been done to death but for the record...

R34's are required by law and SEVS compliance to have the HID globe and ballast removed from the car during compliance. They are to be fitted with standard Halogen globes.

Modern cards with HID's like my Audi have a number of added features that the R34's do not including auto levelling lights and washers. This avoid the dazzle effect over peaks and during rain. I'm not saying this helps, it's just a bullshit ADR and must be complied with.

Personally I used to drive an R34 which was imported personally during the switch from RAWS compliance to SEVS. Seeing the car sat in my garage uncomplied while Crossover gained certification I had the chance to pull the Xenon headlight assemblies out and put in R34 4 door Halogen assemblies. I put them back in after compliance seeing the ballast for the HID's plugs into the same loom as the Halogens (from memory). So there are cars around like mine that still have them and probably lots of cars from the early RAWS days.

I also got pulled over in Knox for my lights and other things. Pettet told me I was pulled over because my "lights looked too blue" even with stock globes. I never pulled them out and I also went to McCloud for EPA and Vicroads. Both places did not even look at them, know or care.

Lights are not an EPA concern, they are however a roadworthy item. I got a road worthy no problems with my lights in.

So, at the end of the day they are 100% illegal under Australian law and SEVS compliance, whether anyone but the cops care is anyone's guess but in my experience. No.

They are supposed to be self levelling to be legal also, mine are one step better having a manual height adjustment on the dash.

+1 for that. :thumbsup: I missed that out.

For me, at the end of the day, they are just headlights. As long as they are kept clean, they will look mint. :)

Edited by Victor.T

what pisses me off is that it's illegal to have the stock lights in say an R34gtt, however the lights on a fkn 300c meet ADR's? wtf...

anyone who has had a 300c behind them at night will know what i'm on about

Exactly! Sometimes, they look purple (I don't know if it's just me. :P ). Very distracting.

If I really wanted legal HIDS, I was thinking of getting a hold of some 350Z pop out water sprayer units, pump, piping, putting into front bar along with some auto leveling electronics.....but it's a lot of mucking around and chopping into front bar.

Optically, fitting halogen globes into a HID headlamp and vice versa, is probably the worst thing to do to a headlamp's performance.

So ironic that the ADR requires a car to effectively DOWNGRADE their headlights from HID to halogen to comply. Not only is the brightness less but the beam pattern would be destroyed too. How's that for road safety!

:ermm:

HID's are illegal if you do not have headlight washers. This is a defectable offence as dust particles can deflect the light onto the oncoming drivers.

If you want less attention, go for a 5000-6000k (white) range. As the boys in blue do target blue headlights more. :)

Good luck.

This is true for newer cars. But a r33 GTR series 3 has standard hids and don't have washers on them

This is true for newer cars. But a r33 GTR series 3 has standard hids and don't have washers on them

+1

And there headlights are not super bright, they're pointed towards the ground, nothing compared to your average 4WD :)

Anyway, this is the strange Australian laws.

As has been said about 3 times now. Yes a S3 GTR has factory HID's, same as a R34 GTR and a bunch of other Jap cars. Does not mean they are considered legal in Australia and hence why the globes and ballasts are removed during compliance.

As has been said about 3 times now. Yes a S3 GTR has factory HID's, same as a R34 GTR and a bunch of other Jap cars. Does not mean they are considered legal in Australia and hence why the globes and ballasts are removed during compliance.

I have never seen a s3 GTR with the xenons removed