SAU Community

Putting My Car Through Regency

shogun

Hey everyone,

So I'm putting my 32 GTS-t through regency to get the defect cleared. I think I've got everything covered, the car is pretty much bog stock standard but I thought I might enlist the help of fellow skyline owners with suggestoins of things to check. On the defect notice, the (wank face) motor bike copper wrote "pod filter not fixed into place, exhaust and bald tires" and then said to me "they'll check over anything at regency anyway"... I knew that, in fact this is the second time I've been defected. So....

Here is a list of everything I've checked and/or changed back to stock (note: I bought the car absolutely stock so I would have all the stock parts if I got defected):

Suspension standard

brand new tyres on stock rims

standard exhaust all the way through

strut braces taken off

standard air box refittted

fresh service (spark plugs, oil, fluids, etc)

spoiler back on

steering rack boots split, changed them both

pressure cleaned underside and engine bay, used degreaser (cleanest it's been in years)

boost guage, turbo timer, bleed valve removed

Upholstery cleaned, no loose bits or wiring (one problem, the back right seat belt doesnt retract so I stuffed the excess belt behind the seat. does anyone think they'll check?)new brake discs and pads all round, fixed a leaky brake pipe at caliper

fixed leaking fuel hoses above tank

noisy thrust bearing because it has an extreme heavy duty clutch and pressure plate

removed window tint (had to do that last time i went thorugh regency)

(I put things in bold I'm not sure if I should be concerned about)

That's all I can think of right now. If anyone has any suggestions or any SA owners wanna come see or give their opininons too that would be greatly appreciated. Also with transport SA (Service SA) they only do one way trips now apparantly, so even if I do get it cleared how do I get it home??? I don't wanna tow it. Anyone wanna lend me their trader plates for the trip? :worship: I've been out of 'the game' for ages and would love to make new friends, with skylines again.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated or if you just wanna wish me look that'd be cool too. The 32 goes in on Tue 29th (next week)

WISH ME LUCK!

They check the seat belts if they don't retract properly, I got done for that, Just unbolt the seat belt in the boot (should only be one bolt) and just squirt a bit of sewing oil into the mechanism DON'T pull it apart tho. then just bolt it back in and pull and retract it until it retracts by itself. That worked for me. My thrust bearing is pretty noisy too and they didn't say anything about it. and the guy i had had was a wanker and even defected me for not having all the steering column surround so the thrust bearing wasn't an issue

yeah the first time i went through they 'shook' the wheels pretty thouroughly and the end result was I had to change my right castor rod and left upper control arm. Had a visual inspection at Graham West the other day and they said the bushes on the right castor rod were starting to crack but should still get through regency and should be taken care of but not urgent.

Thanks heaps for your responses so far, guys!

30% on fronts, 35% on backs. and i was apparantly 1% over on the fronts (but he checked it twice because i was actually 2% under with the first device he used). when i've seen cars with darker 'legal' tint...

They changed the tinting rules back in January 2010 - it used to be like 70% front/rear, but they since changed it - it's now 35% front, rear, etc:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/MR430_Window_Tinting.pdf

There are also special provisions for cars with factory privacy glass - in the case of factory privacy glass (like many of our skylines) its legal as long as it has an 'AS2' or 'AS3' marking ('AS1' is clear).

This reminds me i had to laugh when i took my car to get it reregistered in SA.

The guy from Regency spent about 10 mins trying to get the tint off of my windows, i have privacy glass. :nyaanyaa:

Made me chuckle lots and then he gave me a warning about it but still let me through.

ok sweet! sewing oil then, i thought of maybe rp7 or something but i'll give that a go. Do I just buy that form mitre 10? (don't do a lot of sewing... :cool: )

Just go to woolies or coles they should have it. I just used my mates mums lol

alright the seat belt is fixed. the only i have left is the rear strut brace. This is because when I got Graham West to replace my factory suspension They did up one of the bolts so tight I've snapped a ratchet and spanner (both cheap) trying to undo it. When I attacked it with my Snap-On thruster it began to round off the nut (hexagon style). Now i keep hearing they ARE legal even though I thought they weren't. Anyone been through regency with them? I'm thinking I might just leave it there...

alright the seat belt is fixed. the only i have left is the rear strut brace. This is because when I got Graham West to replace my factory suspension They did up one of the bolts so tight I've snapped a ratchet and spanner (both cheap) trying to undo it. When I attacked it with my Snap-On thruster it began to round off the nut (hexagon style). Now i keep hearing they ARE legal even though I thought they weren't. Anyone been through regency with them? I'm thinking I might just leave it there...

From memory the strut braces are not illegal, so you should be fine. Mate sounds like that car is all good for regency. I have taken my ride through and constantly crossing fingers :P so you should not have a problem :D

Good Luck

From memory the strut braces are not illegal, so you should be fine. Mate sounds like that car is all good for regency. I have taken my ride through and constantly crossing fingers :P so you should not have a problem :D

Good Luck

Thanks mate! I'm sure I'll need all the luck I can get. And thanks everyone else for your help and everything :D

Alright guys so I JUST got home from regency park...................I got through!!! First go and everything! To be honest, I was meticulous about making sure the car was up to standard and above all clean. I didn't even get one of the young guys that apparantly are way more leniant, I had an older dude who was fair all-round. My right castor rod bushe is starting to crack but have no give (yet) so need to get them changed. If anyone wants help and/or tips through the process I'm all ears and definitely up for helping out other skyline owners.

What he checked and when:

1) Drove the car over the pit which has a concrete slab to 'hit' anything that's too low. I think the legal requirement is 110mm for any part of the undercarriage.

2) With car on, he got me to 'rock' the steering wheel slightly left and right continuosly while he checked steering rack and front suspension (in the pit)

3) All indicators and lights individually checked (parkers, low-beam, hi-beam, brakes, etc).

4) Spray winscreen washers- this is to check that the spray jets and also that the wipers clear the water properly (I bought new blades before going just in case)