SAU Community

Boost Problem!

Hi Guys,

Ok, I just installed an aftermarket GFB BOV (dumps to atmosphere and recirculates) Since doing so my boost gauge, which is stock now only peaks at around 5, before it peaked above +7. I thought i had found the fault just there as i found a hole in the vaccume pipe going to black box, so i cut it back and reconnected it but still the same issue. I cant seem to hear any boost leak(dont know if you would hear it with engine running)nor can i feel any leak anywhere? Is it possible the stock gauge is f**ked or is it more likely there is a leak somewhere along the line. Just seems funny as iv just noticed it after installing BOV. I was going to get boost gauge anyway so guess when i get that i can eliminate or determine if the gauge is at fault. May also try stock valve back on 2mo to see if the problem is still there? Any more help would be great and il update 2mo after trying stock valve back on.

Cheers

James

Try tightening the blow off valve. Might be leaking under boost

Are you talking about the vale itself or the mounting bolts? Dont think you can tighten up the valve and the two mounting bolts are tight!

cheers

STd BOV is better anyway..........no need to change it. Do a search on stalling and BOV's and see the problems aftermarket ones cause.

DVS32R was talking about the inbuilt adjustment, lots of BOV's have adjustment to increase or lower pressure release levels.

BTW you need a password to look at that pic.......use your SAU pic account - accessible to everyone then.

STd BOV is better anyway..........no need to change it. Do a search on stalling and BOV's and see the problems aftermarket ones cause.

DVS32R was talking about the inbuilt adjustment, lots of BOV's have adjustment to increase or lower pressure release levels.

BTW you need a password to look at that pic.......use your SAU pic account - accessible to everyone then.

Thanks mate. Oh and i know you do get BOV where you turn the top by hand to adjust (mine doesnt do this) is this what you are talking about? Im pretty sure when i first installed it, it was making more of a dump to atmo noise, now it seems to be more of a light flutter noise????

Just put stock valve back on, still under boosting but sound like when i come off the throttle its dumping to atmosphere??? This didnt do this before i changed it to the GFB BOV??? Any ideas? It could be obvious but im kind of new with regards to turbos.

Cheers

James

Sorry for all the replys in a row....But when changing the BOV the only other thing i done was change the standard air box to a K and N pod filter (dont think this would cause boost problems tho.lol)

boost leak somewhere could be a gasket leak on the BOV or piping leak of some sort best thing to do is a piping leak test

heres a link of a do it yourself leak test on silvia wa

http://www.silviawa....showtopic=41897

Thanks mate, just put installed new boost gauge and its peaking at 9psi, i think the stock gauge is just f**ked and i just started panicing over nothing. I'm still going to do this test over the weekend to make sure tho :)

Thanks Again

James

A pod filter makes a bit more noise than a std one, you probably haven't heard your motor sucking like that before????

exactly right mate! I did know you would get a bit of suction noise, didnt expect it to be as loud as it is.