SAU Community

C210 Radiator, Advice Needed

hey guys,

just wondering if a 280z radiator will fit straight into my c210? same bolt/mounting holes etc.

found a relatively cheap alluminium one online.

thanks. kev

also, ive read about aluminium radiators making the engine run too cool, resulting in loss of power..

anybody give me a insight into this?

i was pretty keen on the aluminium ones.

i like the look of them and seeing as much car is going to fully restored, id like that look under the bonnet.

ive got a 240k radiator in it atm, sime slight mods to get it to fit.

whats the difference with the 280z radiators?

well what i would do is:

get the core measurements from both of them and see if they're roughly the same. cant imagine they'd be too different. i can imagine the alloy one will be thinner.

if they arent too different and you really want the alloy one, just get it anyway and make it fit! be prepared to get a bracket made up, or drill new holes, or use zip-ties lol.

ive got the overall measurements for it, they have them on the website.

im gonna go measure my old blown out c210 radiator i have in the shed. and compare the too.

i cant see how they would be too different.

you got any ideas where i could get a c210 aluminium one?

i have no knowledge to compare the slant type to any other sorry.

those holes they got might work too (just by looking).

email them and see if you can get the drawings for it so you can check against your car.

yeh but what do you think of the "look" of the slanted top tank.

i thnk its only like that due to the zed cars bonnet comming down on a big slant.

but i think it may look cool under the bonnet anyways??

oh as a fashion thing! i get ya now. i personally like a flat one. but i own a flat one so im biased lol

tell you what man, if you think that radiator is gunna look the beez kneez under your bonnet... then do it! it's your car and you have the creative freedom to do whatever you want with it :)

ill put something in my car that looks cool, as long as it doesnt compromise performance, practicality, or legal infringements (most of the time).

hey was just doing some work on my 210 and i remembered that photo of the one you want to get.

the pipe that comes out of the bottom tank on the alloy one comes out then shoots up on an angle. the standard c210 on just comes straight out and is real short. that might be an issue bud.

yeh man ive already emailed them about that.

although i cant see why i couldnt just "cut it off" before the bend. not to butcher it, but the pipe on the c210 radiator is only about 2 inches long, so im assuming on the 280z one, i could just shorten it before the bend.

and im not sure if i want the slanted one! :(

personally i think a flat top one would look better.

if you cut it off, dont forget you'll be cutting off the flange part too. you'll have to re-weld the flange part on or your hose will slip off... which is a pain in the ass...

another something i noticed: the lower pipe on my 210 comes out and goes around the back of the alternator to underneath it before it faces forward. so yea a bit longer than your 2" for some reason.

Edited by Silent Shadow

ah ok, well my origional radiator isnt like that at all.

its just a "stumpy" ahah.

Few of dads mates are top clas welders so i might get them to run a bead around the tube as a flange.

if thats the way i decide to go.

ive found another one, which is a flat top, for the same price, i emailed them about demenions and they havnt got back to me.

i emailed ARE cooling, got a quote for $1170 for a custom made one.

i might the hose from the motor not from the radiator. mine is a little stumpy too.

well if you can get a flat-top one at the same price and you're happy with it then do that. why pay the extra 800-odd dollars for a custom?? jeesus..

yeh that wont be happening.

i bought badges from some scrag in kuwait and they are the wrong colour and mounting pins are wrong.

so iffy about buying via the internet now