SAU Community

"The New GT-R" minor update...

Rezz

Not really anything groundbreaking here, but I just wanted to keep you guys up to date with any new GT-R info that comes out in ... errr... Japan.

Pic:

newgtr.jpg

Basically, the article just goes on about the development of a CVT transmission that can handle big power, to be mated to a 4WD system (which they didn't go into detail about, or directly refer to it as an "ATESSA" system), but just made parallels between it and the e-4WD as seen on the current Japanese market Nissan March. The e-4WD system on the March is like ATESSA (like on an N14 GTi-R for example), but theres no driveshaft to the rear wheels, just wires to a traction sensing computer, then to an electric motor which supplies power to the rear. This is probably what the new GT-R will use instead of the old ATESSA set up...

They also report about the "EFFIS" Hybrid power system, how it will use lithium batteries under the floor to supply power to the front wheels (on a GT-R application) and that the whole system is a beefed up version putting out "big power"... nice... I guess.

***EDIT***

Just looking back at the article, they say the power tranfer to the front wheels is via a switch and a generator, just like what the Toyota Prius uses. So you won't have to go recharging batteries...

At this point my Japanese ability went downhill quickly, there were quite a few words I didn't know (but got the gist of the meaning from the kanji). So don't go quoting me on that EFFIS Hybrid stuff.

As afr as the pic is concerned, I do like the illustration they did with the new GT-R, the rear panel and taillights do have a strong resemblence to the old skool "Ken-meri" KPCG110 GT-R:

kpcg110.jpg

Nice.

Oh, and heres a pic of the new RX-7, which they say will be a RENESIS 3-rotor 400ps lightweight "Compact Body" supercar...

newrx7.jpg

I won't go into details, I'll let someone who's down with Mazda a bit more to explain.

/Rezz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does this mean the engine will only power the front wheels?
No man, read it again :D. They used the Nissan March e-4WD as an example. Of course the new GT-R is RWD until the front wheels break (or almost break) traction, then the electric motor kicks in to drive the front wheels. So, the "concept" is the same as ATESSA, just not directly linked by way of a drive shaft. Think of the e-4WD as a "power-by-wire" set up...

sounds interesting...not too keen on the concept drawing however...looks too bloated.
Mmmmmyes... the waistline is way too high IMO.

"lithium batteries + GTR" sorry I'm not familiar with that term...
heheheh, looks like you'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century Dan... :D

Lithium_the future. :)

Don't know about the GTR :confused: it's definitely to high. I think Nissan is just trickling out info of concepts just to keep the media and public happy.

But that RX7 looks yummy.

Nooooo not again. I spent all of 2003 searching up the "latest" on the Next GTR. I hassled the Nissan Au head office & the Melbourne dealership that much they banned me from anything nissan :D

I'm put off anything that combines these two words "Ghosn, Nissan". As far as I'm concerned after his words of wisdom QUOTE "2007"...."Ghosn" can stick his new gtr in between his renault, his porsche & his croissant :upurs:.

PS: Have you received my email ?

I spent all of 2003 searching up the "latest" on the Next GTR. I hassled the Nissan Au head office & the Melbourne dealership...
Ha, why didn't I think of that? [sarcasm] They've got ALL the answers...[/sarcasm]:D

Justin: did you read this months best motoring, I briefly flicked through it and Toyota is onto a similar concept with a future sports car (didn't take much notice of the name/model) with hybrid fuel cell technology. All seem to be heading that way, well Japan is leading and pioneering this field at the moment. MMC released details in Jan and the Detroit Motor show of the new Concept Eclipse with 4WD (Front:Engine + Motor, Rear:Motor). The hybrid system with Li-ion batteries makes a combine power of 470ps, as MMC quoted "an ideal balance between driving and environmental performance as it delivers breath-taking acceleration while returning low fuel consumption and low emission levels".

As you said this is the future...

Oh 400ps is pretty much what everyone is expecting now same deal with the next RX-7. Like many by 2007, I rather be in a nice luxury euro cruiser, me old fart then.

Troy: Didn't get this months Best Motoring, but I flicked through Horide Auto and Goo Cars and saw some of the Toyota Hybrid power systems to be used for sportscars. But yeah, awesome acceleration is one of the strong points they went on about.

Will be interesting to see electric motors in the front wheels, I remember this was suggested *very* early in the development cycle.

But, how the hell will power ups affect that sort of system? All the extra power goes to the rear wheels while the fronts are stuck with whatever the lectic motors give em.