SAU Community

Best Car For Personal Import

Hi guys,

Like I posted in the Evo wagon thread forum. I'm looking at taking two cars (one in my wife's name) home with me from Japan to Perth next year as a personal import. One will be an STI Fozzie.

Any recommendations or wants from members here?

Thinking of a 2008 Exiga GT or 2005 Evo Wagon AT (manuals too hard to find I'm afraid).

What else sells well these days?

TIA.

J.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers, but looks out of my price range. What do they go for? Looking at 1.5mil for each car.

That banned m3gtr had a few threads about 3 years ago about the same thing, although things have changed in that time.

Two cars, budget of about 3mil, looking to sell each for mid $40k in Oz to turn a tidy profit and give some people in Oz the chance to drive a rare j-spec car.

well personally I'm not in any place to comment being "just a guy that likes cars n stuff" perhaps someone with a bit more authority could weight in a more concrete opinion..

..but it honestly all depends on where the market goes man..

i mean - you could bring in a LanEvo wagon - that doesn't automatically mean people are going to mob you and pay you what you want for it in a years time..

same goes for all cars really.. it all just depends on if someone's wanting to buy it or not..

i mean people try to sell their personal import NSX's all the time, infact you go on carsales now - and you'll see a handfull of NSX's on there, asking 60 odd grand.. and think "wow they must be turning a tidy profit"

...but you check back in 3 months time, they'll most probably still be there!

so it all depends on where the market's at in a years time.. i mean if the rumours are tru that petrols going to go up to $3 a litre etc next year.. then people will be hesitant to buy a car that runs on petrol etc.

put it this way: my brother lives in London, cars over there are worth nothing unless they're brand spankers.

so he bought a mazda RX8 for 4 thousand pound with the intent to bring it back to aust and sell it here for about 35-40K when he returns to australia this october..

but since he bought it - the market for them has dwindled a bit - and subsequently he has fallen in love with the car, so i doubt he's going to be selling it because for him it's just not worth it - say he sells it for $25K or something.. what cars like the RX8 can he get for that price range and still have "money to get him on his feet" etc

so it all just depends on where the market heads really..

i reckon buy something that YOU like... not what you think everyone ELSE will like... buy for YOU.

then when it comes time to sell in australia - just see how you go :)

honda CRZ mugen edition??? :)

4388262398_1e4138053b_o.jpg

True dat, although if I could predict future markets I wouldn't be asking the question. Same with stocks/forex, and I'd be a millionaire already.

You said in your first post an NSX, and then in your second post you say that they are just sitting idle with no buyers, what gives? Another thing is if it is too expensive, it will effectively shut out the majority of the market. You want it priced so that a mid-20s racer boy with a steady job wants it and can afford it, and most of them can't afford $60k.

So I guess I'm not asking what will turn the best profit, but rather what is popular in Oz? The STI fozzies are super hot, theres less than 10 in the country, and every other bloke on ozfoz wants one. So its an obvious choice. I might as well just get two of them if they're so popular, but don't know if I can find two in good condition/low kms in a short space of time, and I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Given the fuel situation, I was also considering one of the hybrids from Honda or Toyota, but thought the specs might be different ie batteries yadda yadda

I imported an FD about 6 years ago, and sold it within 2 months of registering it. There wasn't a heap of interest, but it returned a tidy profit of about $7k after all onroad/importing costs, plus I got to drive around in it and enjoy it for 1.5 years, so not bad overall.

Edited by JeffET

haha - i was saying get an NSX because it'd be a fun car to drive - and i don't KNOW that about the NSX i was merely stating an example, it MAY be a hard sell in a years time...

stifozzdogg could be a good idea because of it's practicality... maybe a toyota vellfire? never know..

okay - just had a look cos you made me feel bad RE: nsx being still up for sale... and yes - the ones that are asking 70K for ... are still for sale as of about six months ago... so obviously that's not realistic..

but there are a few for sale a bit cheaper which i wouldn't imagine lasting...

for instance - i think i'm in love.

could always do a toyota crown??

aos04640.jpg

or X120 Mark X?

aimgain_toyota_mark_x_1-568-426.jpg

sorry if what i said got under your skin - i guess the long and short of my essay was - i dont KNOW what a good car to buy would be..

...so just buy a car that YOU can enjoy - then on sell it for a smaller profit :P like your RX7...

...and like the NSX you're about to buy me :P

Honda-NSX-72857.jpg

Edited by Mr Eps

heh sorry, didn't mean to bite your head off, it just seemed strange that you suggested an NSX then said they don't sell well...shrug.

I don't think the wife will let me get any of those cars, well maybe the crown without a VIP getup.

I still like the idea of the evo wagon for its uniqueness, although the Auto gearbox is gonna hurt. The manuals are too rare and cost a heap more.

Personally Id like an old skool 80s soarer, the twin turbo ones, but I don't think they will sell well at all....

I can find you a manual Evo wagon, no probs. I wouldn't worry about the STi Forester, to be honest, everyone thinks they're a money spinner, by the time you hit 12 months, another 5 or 6 will have come into the country and you might be stuck with something hard to sell. I'll give you some other options when I'm back from holiday, but the Evo wagon in manual is a great first choice ;)

*back again*

you can have your soarer and eat it too... Z10 / Z20 kyusha Soarers don't cost that much... and besides - if you're bringing over a "personal car" in a years time..

..the soarer need not interrupt that...

Z10 / Z20 can be imported as it's own seperate entity, under the Pre 88 rule...

and the Z30 Soarer can come in under SEVS...

neither of these will affect which ever car you bring in as personal import..

up shot of this is, all soarers cost next to nothing unless you're chasing a perfect condition Z30 / Z10..

good Z10 cost up to 1million yen!!! and then some!

I can find you a manual Evo wagon, no probs. I wouldn't worry about the STi Forester, to be honest, everyone thinks they're a money spinner, by the time you hit 12 months, another 5 or 6 will have come into the country and you might be stuck with something hard to sell. I'll give you some other options when I'm back from holiday, but the Evo wagon in manual is a great first choice ;)

You think another 5 Fozzies will ruin the market? I have heard people will give their left nut for a good condition one at the right price.

Are you based in Japan or Oz? If Oz, you obviously have people on the ground here in J. I was going to go through one of the auction broking companies rather than goo-net, yahoo etc. Should be close to half the price...if you can find a manual 06 with low kms for 1.5 mil on the road, that would be simply beaut. I wonder if it will be priced in the same ball park as a regular evo 9, despite its extreme rarity.

*back again*

you can have your soarer and eat it too... Z10 / Z20 kyusha Soarers don't cost that much... and besides - if you're bringing over a "personal car" in a years time..

..the soarer need not interrupt that...

Z10 / Z20 can be imported as it's own seperate entity, under the Pre 88 rule...

and the Z30 Soarer can come in under SEVS...

neither of these will affect which ever car you bring in as personal import..

up shot of this is, all soarers cost next to nothing unless you're chasing a perfect condition Z30 / Z10..

good Z10 cost up to 1million yen!!! and then some!

The Z30 is yuk, but the Z20 is sex on four wheels. Love it. But as you say, would be a waste of a personal import if I can get it through SEVS anyway...its just a pipe dream anyway, no way I would receive express approval from the missus for that.

You think another 5 Fozzies will ruin the market? I have heard people will give their left nut for a good condition one at the right price.

Are you based in Japan or Oz? If Oz, you obviously have people on the ground here in J. I was going to go through one of the auction broking companies rather than goo-net, yahoo etc. Should be close to half the price...if you can find a manual 06 with low kms for 1.5 mil on the road, that would be simply beaut. I wonder if it will be priced in the same ball park as a regular evo 9, despite its extreme rarity.

I'm not sure it will be 1.5 mil but it will certainly be cheaper than Goo or Car Sensor. Shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch with one of the guys I use over there.

Soarer as a personal import?? :rofl2: Seriously Rowan put down that crack pipe...

STi Foz is certainly in demand on OzFoz, Rexnet etc