SAU Community

More Mercury Motorsport Magic (Or Madness)

kymbo

I want to give a very BIG thanks to the team at Mercury Motorsport for turning my GTR into something that is now simply amazing. The figures speak for themselves in the attached Dyno chart.

The chart shows pre tune 262 awkw and 465 awNm. Other than the Titanium Willall mid pipe and cat back system already installed, my car was dead stock. There was NO tune of any kind to support the Willall exhaust, So these figures are only slightly higher than a dead stock R35 GTR.

After Mercury installed their new 3.5" catted high flow dump pipes, a AAM Competition Air Intake system and the Cobb tune with their custom Dyno tune over the top, the results ramped up big time.

The acceleration has gone from brutal to totally savagely demonic!!!

As you can see in the chart my car now has 342.6 awkw and 625 awNm.

Not to mention the massive fattening out of both Kw's and Nm's throughout the entire rev range.

These are significant improvements, especially when you realise, that is an increase of 80.6 awkw and a wopping 159 awNm.

The guys at Mercury explained that, the percentage of drive train power losses does not stay constant when power increases, which makes sense.

This is interesting because even if I add NO extra Kw's or Nm's for further drive train losses and simply add the net at wheel power gains to the factory at crank specs of 357 Kw and 588 Nm, I now end up with 437 Kw and 747 Nm at the crank. WOW!

Due to the Titanium exhaust (largely) and air intake system (slightly), my car is approx 40Kg lighter than stock as well.

To say I am loving this car even more than I did before, is an understatement!

Anybody thinking of trading there 09 or 10 GTR in on a new 11, don't bother. For a quarter of the changeover price you can turn your existing GTR into a 2011 crusher. Unless of course they do the same?

I am so looking forward to my next encounter with the new Turbo Porsche. Just getting slightly ahead of them is now replaced with their total annihilation. Happy Days aheadrolleyes.gif

post-75605-0-56561200-1303452845_thumb.jpg

Edited by kymbo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a standard GT-R only makes 260awkw dead stock? Jeez when you put it like that you kinda have to think about how it is such a dominant force when 260kw is only a pfc and 14psi from an RB26.

I want to give a very BIG thanks to the team at Mercury Motorsport for turning my GTR into something that is now simply amazing. The figures speak for themselves in the attached Dyno chart.

The chart shows pre tune 262 awkw and 465 awNm. Other than the Titanium Willall mid pipe and cat back system already installed, my car was dead stock. There was NO tune of any kind to support the Willall exhaust, So these figures are only slightly higher than a dead stock R35 GTR.

After Mercury installed their new 3.5" catted high flow dump pipes, a AAM Competition Air Intake system and the Cobb tune with their custom Dyno tune over the top, the results ramped up big time.

The acceleration has gone from brutal to totally savagely demonic!!!

As you can see in the chart my car now has 342.6 awkw and 625 awNm.

Not to mention the massive fattening out of both Kw's and Nm's throughout the entire rev range.

These are significant improvements, especially when you realise, that is an increase of 80.6 awkw and a wopping 159 awNm.

The guys at Mercury explained that, the percentage of drive train power losses does not stay constant when power increases, which makes sense.

This is interesting because even if I add NO extra Kw's or Nm's for further drive train losses and simply add the net at wheel power gains to the factory at crank specs of 357 Kw and 588 Nm, I now end up with 437 Kw and 747 Nm at the crank. WOW!

Due to the Titanium exhaust (largely) and air intake system (slightly), my car is approx 40Kg lighter than stock as well.

To say I am loving this car even more than I did before, is an understatement!

Anybody thinking of trading there 09 or 10 GTR in on a new 11, don't bother. For a quarter of the changeover price you can turn your existing GTR into a 2011 crusher. Unless of course they do the same?

I am so looking forward to my next encounter with the new Turbo Porsche. Just getting slightly ahead of them is now replaced with their total annihilation. Happy Days aheadrolleyes.gif

not sure why your car only made 262kw with light mods and others made 291kw stock std

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/224918-haltech-r35-gtr-at-syd-auto-salon/page__p__3961322__hl__auto%20salon

Great result Kymbo.

In respect of the J-Rad post people should not compare raw dyno results of one dyno to another dyno, unless they know how that dyno typically reads for a specific model.

I would have expected around 300awkw on a dd dyno as guide using standard mode.

However, as the dyno is a dyno tool just focus on the before and after results from the same dyno for the changes to a specific car run under the same conditions.

In this case the relatively change is huge, with no loss anywhere, and verified on the road.... and a happy customer.

Do you know how much more boost was added?

p.s I'm blown away by just how good the standard 11 is on the road, after 1600kms in 4 days.

Brian

Edited by bcl

As bcl posted, dyno testing is best used as a before and after tool to assist in measuring gains. Absolute numbers are difficult to analyze. The track and drag strip are a better way of comparing cars measured on different dynos.

Kimbo, was great to meet you the other day. Look forward to catching up at the track soon ;)

Thanks Brian & Mark

Yeh, I am stoked!

And you are both right. It is the before and after on 'that' specific dyno that is relevant instead of trying to correlate one dyno's figures to another. I could have taken my car to some other tuner on the same day and on their Dyno got a 50 awkw different reading?

Anyway, bottom line is, on that dyno, that day the Mercury guys got a huge jump in power over the stock power output. That NET figure is what matters, when considering how it fits in with improved output relative to the factory claims.

Look forward to seeing both you guys again in the near future.

Kymbo

Oh Yeh!

Forgot to mention, The Turbo's now boost to 17 PSI in the 342.6 awkw mode!

The stock boost was 12 PSI.

The new 'mild' setting now only boosts to 10 PSI, yet interestingly still produces the 260 awkw as it did with the exhaust only. This I believe is due to the extra hardware?

So a standard GT-R only makes 260awkw dead stock? Jeez when you put it like that you kinda have to think about how it is such a dominant force when 260kw is only a pfc and 14psi from an RB26.

Hi J - Rad, what is pfc?

Great result Kymbo.

In respect of the J-Rad post people should not compare raw dyno results of one dyno to another dyno, unless they know how that dyno typically reads for a specific model.

I would have expected around 300awkw on a dd dyno as guide using standard mode.

However, as the dyno is a dyno tool just focus on the before and after results from the same dyno for the changes to a specific car run under the same conditions.

In this case the relatively change is huge, with no loss anywhere, and verified on the road.... and a happy customer.

Do you know how much more boost was added?

p.s I'm blown away by just how good the standard 11 is on the road, after 1600kms in 4 days.

Brian

Brian

Glad to hear you got your beast!

Enjoy!

I wasn't trying to bring up a dyno debate. Just saying that its power figures weren't all that high, yet it still manages to be so good at doing everything. Had nothing to do with figures or anything. I have no idea how much a GT-R should make at the wheels. Was a mere observation that a 300kw R35 is alot quicker than a 300kw R32.

I wasn't trying to bring up a dyno debate. Just saying that its power figures weren't all that high, yet it still manages to be so good at doing everything. Had nothing to do with figures or anything. I have no idea how much a GT-R should make at the wheels. Was a mere observation that a 300kw R35 is alot quicker than a 300kw R32.

No problems; even though heavier it does have 46% more cubic capacity and 18 years of development over an R32.

The 11 will pull around 124mph trap speed at the strip, so it is very good stock. Also, people often look at just peak power, when average power is far more relevant, and how the torque is delivered.

Brian

Oh Yeh!

Forgot to mention, The Turbo's now boost to 17 PSI in the 342.6 awkw mode!

The stock boost was 12 PSI.

The new 'mild' setting now only boosts to 10 PSI, yet interestingly still produces the 260 awkw as it did with the exhaust only. This I believe is due to the extra hardware?

On the 11 I'm seeing 15lb max boost on the boost gauge. I'm not sure if 12 pound is standard for the earlier model.

Cruising along at 2500rpm in 6th and onto the accelerator will see 15lb by 3000rpm. Factory spooling is pretty good, for what I believe is a non-billet compressor turbo.

As Mr Mizumo told us, the car (11) has more power than stated, and by seat of the pants I'd say he is correct. I'm going to take the car down wsid in a few weeks time, as I always see trap speed as a good indicative of power.

Brian

On the 11 I'm seeing 15lb max boost on the boost gauge. I'm not sure if 12 pound is standard for the earlier model.

Cruising along at 2500rpm in 6th and onto the accelerator will see 15lb by 3000rpm. Factory spooling is pretty good, for what I believe is a non-billet compressor turbo.

As Mr Mizumo told us, the car (11) has more power than stated, and by seat of the pants I'd say he is correct. I'm going to take the car down wsid in a few weeks time, as I always see trap speed as a good indicative of power.

Brian

glad to see u've got your car back.

Would really love to see the monster myself.

I'll be there for the next meet up :D

enjoy the ride!!

Edit: the mods i have is pretty much the same as urs, beside the intake. mine is sitting at 328kw! that intake sure does make a big difference :D

Edited by fireboy

Torque and response - and gearbox, is what's predominately behind it.