SAU Community

Self Detailing My Car. Any Tips?

bob182

Ive got 2 days off work and the weather is looking good so im going to do the most thorough detailing/cleaning job I can to get my car looking great. Hopefully from there It'll just take a wash every now and then to keep it looking good.

I'll be using tips I found here

http://www.skylinesa.../page__hl__wash

But if there are new products out there that arent listed, I'll have my phone with me so hit me up with any of your tips/advice since Ive never done this before.

The car is a 1996 Series 2 R33 and its black, so I end up washing it all the time only to have it look dirty 10 minutes later. Hopefully this helps.

Anyway, I'll post before/after pics when I'm done (Either late tonight or sometime tomorrow)

All tips and advice is much appreciated.

This is the most recent picture I've foun of it. Will be taking more today.

post-79127-0-50441300-1304312538_thumb.jpg

Edited by bob182

Had a bit of a look. Didnt see your post until after I bought some stuff. Turned out I bought almost all the same stuff you mentioned. wish I saw the thing about clay bars. I bought the Mother's one which is sure is great quality and all that but you're right, its way too small. oh well, finished the claybarring in the end. wash, polish and wax tomorrow.

I only plan on douing this once a year or so. Think its worth me buying a orbital buffer"?

and because I was so excited to get started once I bought everything, I forgot to take before pics. But ill try to remember before I start polish and wax

buy good products to do it with.

Meguires, autoglym etc.

big +1 for autoglym. I use the Super resin polish and the car comes up amazing. Works well on wheels too thumbsup.gif. I would also recommend Autoglym perfect polishing cloth or hi-tech finishing cloth both around the $20 mark and work a treat. You can get the polish from Autobarn for around $45 for a 1 litre bottle. But seeing as you have a black car, you can buy a black polish so you don't get white marks left in stone chips ( that's if you have any). Black cars are a pain to get clean and keeping clean. So if your going to use a chamois use 2. One for your outside body work and then the other for engine bay and boot/door jams.

I entered up using almost all magiuares or whatever it's called stuff. Everything but the clay bars which were 'Mothers'. Came up as well as can be expected for a 15 year old car. Still some small scratches I wish came out better but certainly a well spent day and a bit.

Better than staying in bed all day watching family guy DVDs. I actually really enjoyed each phase of it. Noticing improvements and when I was done I was happy with the the way it came out. Add some tyre shine, give the wheels one more clean and it looks awesome.

I thought I'd get bored of it quickly but got some music going and had a good time. I'll be doing this again some time and revisiting this thread to check those suggestions again before I start.

Shat my pants today though. The firsts drive I took after all was completed, I nearly got cleaned up by a fire truck. If there was an accident and it didn't kill me, the anger would have.

Pics coming soon. Just on the iPhone at the moment and on my way to work.

Also, can i use the leftover wax on my rims? Will that keep them clean or easy to clean? Someone said to spray them with mr sheen when they're clean and then it's just a hose down job but that advice came from 4chan so I'm not sure